Yamaha RX-A3080 AV Receiver Review & Comments

Hi. Just a quick note: The A3080 has Airplay. "Great" I hear you say...

But you can't defeat AirPlay on the A3080 and believe me, there will be times that you wish you could. For example, if anyone in your house accidentally or on purpose decides to play music via airplay to the A3080, whatever input you are watching on the receiver at the time (such as a Set Top Box or a Bluray movie) will immediately switch to Airplay and you will hear their music and see their coverart. You'll need to find the remote, switch back the the original input in the middle of your movie, and rewind a bit to see what you missed.

I know you are thinking "Surely, that can't be right!" but it is and you can't defeat this "mental" behaviour, even if you want to. Without either turning off the entire network functionality of the A3080 (bye bye internet radio or anything "internet") or by telling your kids not to do it. If the person did it accidentally, you first have to find out WHICH kid is doing it as they may not even know they are the cause. Otherwise it could happen repeatedly, during your movie. Again and again.

Fun! Your partner will LOVE it!

BTW, I have a non-yamaha TV with Airplay built into it as well. I can turn airplay OFF on the TV in the TV's menus but not on the A3080. This A3080's Airplay "feature" is always on, whether you want it on or not and at any time, not matter what you are doing or watching on your connected TV, Airplay will interrupt it, whenever anyone (accidentally) "airplays" to it.

Go figure! Trust me, you'll love it when it happens... your partner will too. Not!

I'm not sure that cross posting is the solution to your issue:

The answer would be exactly the same in this thread. No, the AV receiver has no option to turn off Airplay.

Thanks Dante but I'm not looking for a solution here as you have explained to me that there isn't one.

However, I think that other people who are interested in the A3080 might like to know about this feature and the inability to defeat it, even when the use-case for doing so is so obvious. If they are looking for a new AVR, knowing this might cause them to cast their net a little wider.

Note that I am not promoting any particular alternative but instead I am trying to help them make an informed choice.

Every AV receiver inclusive of Airplay and regardless of who manufactured it would exhibit the exact same behaviour. Are you subsequently going to post this in every other thread relative to every other Airplay enabled AV receiver?

The AV receiver isn't at fault and the issue revolves around the way in which you are employing Airplay.

Yes, the receiver has no ability to turn Airplay off within its configurations, but this isn't the cause of the issues you are experoencing. Most people wouldn't want to turn Airplayy off and wouldn't need to if not continually mistakenly selecting the AV receiver as the Airplay destination device as selected by the iOS or OS X devices.

Last edited:
Thanks again Dante. How do you know that every AVR that offers Airplay doesn't offer an ability to defeat it? Have you tried them all?

I am not talking about any model other than the A3080. That is all I know about as it is the one I recently purchased. And as a user of it, I can state from experience that being unable to defeat AirPlay and then to re-enable it when one wants to use it is unquestionably a deficiency.

Thanks again Dante. How do you know that every AVR that offers Airplay doesn't offer an ability to defeat it? Have you tried them all?

I am not talking about any model other than the A3080. That is all I know about as it is the one I recently purchased. And as a user of it, I can state from experience that being unable to defeat AirPlay and then to re-enable it when one wants to use it is unquestionably a deficiency.
Keep to the owners' thread. Please.

Thanks again Dante. How do you know that every AVR that offers Airplay doesn't offer an ability to defeat it?

That part of my reply was incorrect and I've subsequently edited my post to reflect this. Yes, you can turn Airplay off onboard some AV receivers. As I noted though, this isn't the cause of the issues you are experiencing. Most people wouldn't want to turn Airplayy off and wouldn't need to if not continually mistakenly selecting the AV receiver as the Airplay destination device as selected by the iOS or OS X devices.

That part of my reply was incorrect and I've subsequently edited my post to reflect this. Yes, you can turn Airplay off onboard some AV receivers. As I noted though, this isn't the cause of the issues you are experiencing. Most people wouldn't want to turn Airplayy off and wouldn't need to if not continually mistakenly selecting the AV receiver as the Airplay destination device as selected by the iOS or OS X devices.
I think this conversation is better kept to the owners' thread now. It's like watching a game of tennis at the moment.

Thanks for the confirmation that you were incorrect. I suspected you were wrong and therefore. for anyone who would like to have the ability to defeat Airplay (and from experience I can say that being able to defeat it would indeed be useful), they might like to check out some others models.

RobinWNZ - how did applying the password to Airplay work for you?
Super simple, should work.

Hi Dunners, could you explain a little more what you mean? I am stupid afterall... but I am hopeful that you may have a solution.

There is a lot of cross posting going between this thread and the owners' thread. I would like to draw members attention to rule 8 in the terms and conditions that state that members......

must not create their new threads in more than one forum. (Doing so is called cross-posting). You should pick the single most appropriate forum for your message. Duplicate posts will be deleted.

Type the IP address of your amplifier via a web browser on your phone or PC.
Click on Airplay
Click on Password Setting
Turn on 'Password'
Type in the password you want to use, press 'okay'.

Then people can only use Airplay if they know the password.

by default 2020-05-23 at 07.11.10.png

would anyone know if the 3080 sub pre outs are dual independent? i.e. can i individually control the sub trim level / distance for each subwoofer?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom