Question Yamaha RX-A3070 vs Arcam AVR550 - is the Arcam worth the extra £1k?

maxbrooker

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade from my Yamaha RX-V777 to a new amp to include 4K and 7.1.4 capabilities.

I'm running all Dali opticon speakers in my current 7.1 set up with the large 8 floorstanders at the front (with poweramp), plus a BK Monolith sub. I'll be getting Dali Altecos for the height speakers. I use the system mostly for cinema and my room size is approx 6m square.

I feel I should probably stick with Yamaha and am considering the RX-A3070, which should be more than capable and a good upgrade over the 777.

However during my research I have come across several posts mentioning the Arcam AVR550 and what a significant upgrade it made to other users systems. My budget can run to the Arcam, but only if it's worth the extra £1k in terms of sound quality. Obviously I'll need an additional poweramp to run 7.1.4 but thats not a problem as I have spare ones. I know Arcam are highly respected and make audiophile quality kit, but I am keen to hear from other Arcam owners and their opinions.

Any advice much appreciated.

The Arcam is the more accomplished when it comes to audio performance, especially in relation to music. It also includes DIRAC live which is probably the best consumer level room EQ correction you can currently get, but Arcam are a lot slower to update their models and are quite temperamental in some respects when compared to the more mainstream manufacturers like Yamaha.

I'd maybe throw the new Marantz SR8012 into the equation. This would give you some of the benefits of both for about the same price as the Arcam. No DIRAC live though and it uses Audyssey's MultEQ XT32. The Marantz also includes 11 integral channels of amplification so you can have a 7.1.4 setup out of the box without the need for external power amps. It also includes Auro 3D as well as DTS:X and Atmos.

Marantz SR8012 11.2-Channel AV Receiver Review

Last edited:
Is the Arcam better, yes, probably for all the reasons Dante mentioned. Is it worth the premium - that is up to you.

Thanks for your input guys - I think I need to do some more research before jumping in.

Have arcam finally ironed out the bugs?

When the OP say they extra £1K consider the second have value. Because Arcam don't replace models yearly with more or less the same features the 2nd hand value is better and the support longer. So as a long term investment it makes more sense.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom