Yamaha RX-A3070 9.2 AV Receiver Review & Discussion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phil Hinton, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,367
    2. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +52
      Thanks Phil - Just a small point; your spec indicates 'AM/FM Tuner' but the back panel photograph shows 'DAB/FM'. I assume the latter is correct and it is also DAB+ ?

3. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +244
      When you say the old fashioned way for setting up , could you give me more info on this. I would like to give it a go.
      Thanks

4. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,412
      Thanks Phil,

Great review!

I upgraded to this from the V2067 (6 years old but required the 4K options) and agree the Menus need an update, although it’s a bonus for previous Yamaha owners in that it’s easy to work your way around as I recall being a bit overwhelmed when I first purchased the 2067.
      I struggled a bit in the first few months with my new sub and music, it was always quite quiet (after using YPAO) yet movies shook the room.

The scene function is always handy and the app pretty good. New buyers are getting a Bluetooth speaker thrown in to use with MusicCast, shame for those who bought in 2017.

I’m still 5.1 and thinking about 5.1.4 although even with 5.1, it creates such a nice bubble of sound with crisp dialogue.

So far it’s child proof bar mucky hand prints on the nicely weighted volume knob. Once again the app is handy when the kids decide to power off if they don’t like my choice of music!

Yamaha emailed last year saying as far as they know, it’s eArc compatible.
      As we know and discussed in the latest podcast, only ever purchase on what is available at the time, but in fairness to Yamaha, my old 2067 had plenty of firmware updates over the years, so here’s hoping!

5. Ste7en

Ste7en
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,263
      I'm assuming white noise and adjusting each level manually.

6. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +244
      Sorry for my ignorance ,what is classed as white noise? And would you need to put speaker distance in . Then use a spl meter?

7. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,412
      Yeah I used YPAO initially and then changed some speaker sizes as it set them to large and adjusted levels with an spl, my sub needed more gain for sure. I initially added some bass trim too and nearly had a heart attack when first playing some John Wick !

8. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,412
      There are test tones (white noise) you can use built in (the YPAO calibration uses them but can be used manually).
      I used an SPL, I’m not an audiophile so may be wrong but it helped me.

9. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +244
      Ah I see, I’m no audiophile either. I could give that a go in pattern2. Nothing to lose.

10. themovierooms

themovierooms
      Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +730
      A very good amplifier, rightly this review makes a mockery of the review by a "rival" on-line reviewer a couple of months ago which was frankly, total nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 4
      • List
    11. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,209

Do you mean the What HiFi review that had to be subsequently rewritten after What HiFi decided that the review model they originally received was faulty and thus responsible for their poor appraisal of it?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    12. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +244
      I’ve had a go a that steviedr, measured to my mlp and used spl meter. Sounds good. Struggling to tell the difference from ypao set up ,

13. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,209
      Just a note to say that the test tones associated with AV receivers are in fact pink noise as opposed to being white noise :)

14. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +244
      Update, in actual fact after listen on my setup going back to ypao setup , ypao setup sounds more echoing. Mind this is on bbc 1.

15. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,209
      Have you engaged one of the DSP Programs? I've found that they can result in certain types of dialogue sounding unnatural and echoey. This doesn't seem to effect discrete multichannel formats though and only effects audio when upmixing from 2 channel sources.

16. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +244
      I am using Surround decode.

17. steviedr

steviedr
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,412
      Level wise after YPAO, it wasn’t far off for the speakers, just had to add a few clicks (bar YPAO naming my front L/R large instead of small), but the sub was way off.
      I also got the best result taking a measurement from one position v multiposition.
      Intrigued with the angled Atmos measurements.
      With the exception of discs, I tend to use the Dolby Surround DSP, sounds really good, especially with some Nowtv 2.1 material, it’s actually very impressive.
      I need to experiment more with the dsp’s regarding music.

Edit - watching Thomas the tank engine on Amazon with Surround engaged - I see what you mean, my rears do sound a little unnatural if I pay attention to them - guess it does really depend on the material.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    18. Toon Army

Toon Army

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +575
      Thanks Phil and more than happy with my Denon 4400H. Not sure what ground-breaking developments in relation to AVRs are out there apart from hdmi 2.1 next year. You would think that they would have at least improved the menus and added a backlight for the remote control. All a bit deja vu as with this year's TVs and no apparent incentive for people to upgrade.

19. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,209

Your average SPL meter cannot accurately measure the sound pressure associated with the low frequency output of a sub. AV receivers use several other factors attained during the calibration to level the sub. You'd need a relatively expensive pro grade SPL meter with Z weighting if wanting to level a sub manually. The receiver's own calibrated level was probably more accurate than your modified manual adjustment resulted in? This is why almost all attempts to measure the SPL manually post calibration with an SPL meter typically result in the person taking the measurements concluding that the subwoofer is incorrectly levelled. What is in fact happening is that the meter being used isn't up to the task at hand. If your other speakers' levels were out by a few db then the same will have been true of the sub.

Note that all receivers determine the speaker sizes based upon their measured roll off. Any speaker with a roll off below 60Hz will result in the receiver designating them as being LARGE. It is generally suggested that you always manually reconfigure the bass management post calibration and reassign all speakers as being SMALL as opposed to LARGE irrespective of their size, their rated frequency handling or indeed their measured roll off.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    20. Ste7en

Ste7en
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,263
      Any idea how this compares sonically to the old Yamaha DSP A1?

21. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      Then yes, using Surround Decode will make it sound odd.
      Try pressing 'straight' and listen to the audio how it was intended to sound.

22. BohamCY

BohamCY

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +65
      So what does this do better than the 4400?

23. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,209
      The AVRX4400 has a lot going for it, but you'd not get the build quality you'd get with the RXA3070. The DACs are also superior and you'd get more power from the Yamaha. It also includes balanced XLR inputs, but not many will have anything that would benefit from connecting it to the receiver using them. Yamaha receivers also include proprietary DSP that isn't included on any other brand of receiver. This DSP tech can be very effective if used in conjunction with presence speakers and can even be applied to £D immersive formats if you've one of the Yamaha models from the A1070 upward.

24. Cyprio

Cyprio

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +176
      You'll get a back-light remote control included if you upgrade to the Yamaha pre & power amp combo. :D

25. BohamCY

BohamCY

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +65
      Would the sr7012 match this in terms of audio quality?
      I'm about 70/30 movies/music

26. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,209
      The SR7012 is basically the same receiver as the AVRX4400. The only real differences are that the Marantz model includes HDAM circuitry and the inclusion of multichannel analogue inputs. All the other components and spec are the same as those associated with the Denon model. It is often suggested that the Marantz model performs better in relation to musical sources and that it is tuned in a manner that favours music.

27. BohamCY

BohamCY

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +65
      Would the Yamaha outperform it? :)
      Just want to know if it's worth the extra 500 from the 4400 or 400 from the 7012

Currently running the cambridge aero 5.1 package with 4 minx as ceiling speakers

28. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,209

I think you'd need to also upgrade your speakers to make spending the kind of money you are considering spending a worthwhile venture. Whether it sounds better or if you'd prefer the way one sounds when compared to the other then this is something only you can determine and I''d suggest you go audition the receivers. The Yamaha has the same advantages over the Marantz models as it had over the Denon and the bonus features associated with the Denon model would also be attained if buying the Marantz.

Given the fact that you only appear to need 9 channel processing, I'd also suggest you consider the Yamaha RXA2070 if concerned about the price difference between the D&M models compared to the fladship A3070 Yamaha receiver. Maybe even look at the Marantz SR6012 rather than the SR7012?

29. BohamCY

BohamCY

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +65
      I'd rather have something that i can still expand down the line if I need to.
      If in a year or 2 I move and can accommodate 7.1.4 I'd like to have that option without replacing the amp again.

30. fallinlight

fallinlight

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +303
      Hi Boham, I've owned both and kept the A3070. I also tried a SONY DN1080 before the Denon, which I found very good, but think I still preferred my older Yamahas at the time. I was driving a 7.1.4 with Bronze 5 fronts, centre, W10 sub, Bronze 2 sides and Bronze 1 rears, at the time. I was personally underwhelmed with the X4400H sound. I might have been biased towards the Yamaha sound, my first two AVRs, being the entry level RXV-381 and 383 models. Denon's Audyssey perhaps produced a more accurate EQ too, based on graphs from the Audyssey phone app. But for me, the setting for films produced muted or rolled-off highs, that also did not sound realistic, whilst the alternative main recommended film setting (I forget the name), was too bright. I heard what also sounded like a massive lack of mid and low-range, and bass, too. Everything was amazingly, smooth and transitioned well between my speakers, and felt there were good dynamics at times, and specifically excellent nuance. But there just was not any grunt and drive. This lack left me unimpressed and un-immersed. It was not the sound I was looking for. I even purchased a new phone just for the Audyssey app, but that really frustrated me, trying to calibrate the speakers. I never got it to my liking.

With my A3070 however, I noticed a difference from the second I powered it on and heard my XB1S logo sound. That alone, told me it was going to sound amazing. And then in films, I heard that Yamaha sound back in my room, but better than ever. Truly immersive, powerful and dynamic. Oh, and that wide open Yamaha soundstage, I had missed it so much. Everything is driven so much more effortlessly, to my ears, than the X4400H. And a way that sounds fully assured and confident.

I do feel the A3070 sound is superior, due to the higher quality DACS and that it is considerably to much more powerful, as dante01 above, suggests. Bare in mind, this is my personal experience in my own setup and room. It really shows in the sound. I just hear it in everything, water waves and tidal crashes in Interstellar are no longer artificial sounding, but pure and real, with the utmost clarity. Glass window falling in the Dolby Atmos 'Shattered' demo is crisp and well, sounded like glass again. Brass and string sections in Raiders of the Lost Ark are just perfect, not too bright, nor rolled-off at the top end. I also like to use the credit sequence for Raiders as a test of soundstage. The X4400H did not produce the wide open soundstage I accustom to this sequence. There are a lot of natural sounds from the Jungle, strings that crescendo from the side surrounds (126 - 1:28) and hard panning of Indy's gunshot (3:14 - 3:18). These simply sound larger, stronger and more enveloping to me, with the A3070. And the pounding drums and orchestra in Man of Steel's intro scene, as Jor-El flies off his H'Raka is a scene which I had trouble with, with the X4400H. It was lacking for me, with the Denon, and too smooth sounding. Now, the power and energy and grunt of the drums and orchestra were back.

I have had no trouble with 2 channel stereo music listening either. Though, I would not say the Bronze 5s are great for stereo music, though I fined them extremely well tuned for home cinema. So much so, that there was little different between them and the Monitor Audio Silver 300 I tried at home. However, the MA Silver 300s 'sung' beautifully with the A3070, full of colour, depth, smoothness and good imaging. And my Kef R500s sounded even better. Silver 300 and Kef R500 sounded amazing at very low and high volumes with my A3070.

Everything just has that Yamaha punch and weight but it also has finesse and composure, as Phil Hinton describes in his review. And I've found it excellent for stereo music listening, too. I find it has sounded consistently excellent with the speakers mentioned above. No red flags are raised with the sound across the spectrum. This AVR looks and sounds premium, no doubt. Now, I wonder how the Arcam AVR550 or AVR850 will sound like in my room and setup. After that there is nothing in my mind, so I've pretty much hit my stride, which is an amazing and contended feeling to have about a part of your system. But, for now, I guess this is the Yamaha sound I have always loved and craved. For me, this is what truly immerses me in my home cinema.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Feb 20, 2018