Yamaha RX-A3060 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
always read that YPAO was not as GOOD as other calibration systems....
on the other hand, yamaha is probably the most reliable/durable AVR's !

Talking to installers, most I've chatted with have noted issues with 11 channel integrated amps... failure rates out in the field caused by overheating has been one issue. Others are saying (subjectively of course) that they have seen a drop in performance and reliability from manufacturers when they've attempted to jam in another two channels while keeping the price as low as possible.

Last edited:
Cheers Phil, great review - great start to 2017 since have been waiting to read this on avforums. 1st resolution for 17 is to upgrade my amp, this is on my list .

May I wish you and all the team, and all on the forums the very best for 17

How does this amp compare to the much cheaper Marantz SR7011?

How does this amp compare to the much cheaper Marantz SR7011?
I haven't heard the SR7011 in this room so can't answer that one. However having reviewed the similar Denon X3300 I would imagine a warmer, less neutral sound, but you'll need to demo both if you can.

I haven't heard the SR7011 in this room so can't answer that one. However having reviewed the similar Denon X3300 I would imagine a warmer, less neutral sound, but you'll need to demo both if you can.

Is the Yamaha worth £800 more? I've seen the Marantz SR7011 for £1199 online.

Is the Yamaha worth £800 more? I've seen the Marantz SR7011 for £1199 online.
I would suggest only you can answer that question. If you can, go and listen to them, or try and get a home demo.

I think the pricing an anomaly here in the UK? The SR7011 sells for more than the Yamaha in the USA. Also note that the £1200 being quoted for the SR7011 is a discounted price and the actual suggested retail price is actually £1499. Yamaha receivers do appear to maintain their price when compared to other makes or maybe Yamaha are just less open to allowing retailers to advertise Yamaha receivers at the same kind of discounted prices as D&M are? The Yamaha will surpass the Marantz when it comes to both build quality and reliability. These 2 factors are probably why Yamaha receivers manage to maintain their prices and why they are generally slighly more expensive than their comparative competitors?

Last edited:
Cheers for the review Phil, especially being upfront with the comparison.
Enjoy Ces!!

great review Phil, i noticed you never covered what are my alternatives at the end of the review, which is usual for avforums reviews these days

Seeing as you diss multi channel avr's all the effin time, and have no interest in atmos etc, and bang on about FM, go listen to an arcam sr250.....2ch stereo audio visual reciever, it may be as fantastically excellent as the sony

my Yamaha 3050 sounds 'ok' in FM radio.

My previous dedicated Tuner sounded better, but I'm all about clutter reduction these days, so the fewer boxes the better.

Id say the sound of the Yamaha tuner is dry and lacking a bit of air and sparkle.

Does the job though and pulls weak stations in well.

Good review. Seems like most of the major manufacturers are turning out really good high end receivers nowadays. Always good to have a decent choice with these things....cough AMD / Intel.......(please don't :censored: up Zen / Vega AMD)!

I see that you mention YPAO wasn't of much use. I thought that YPAO was for the first time actually performing subwoofer EQ down to 15hz or so. So I guess that this wasn't too obvious or provided little to no benefit as far as you noticed? That is pretty disappointing :(.

I had the 3060 within a week or so after release, it's a great AVR, I did not however pay anything like RRP so do ring around for the best price.

I also found that Ypao worked very well especially for the sub, my room is difficult but it sounds very good to me, I do not like the default peq of 'Flat' after running Ypao though, I'm using 'Front'.

I use internet radio which sounds much better than FM, overall in very happy with it!.

Avf reviews are great but I have often wondered if say all receivers could be reviewed by the same person, obviously difficult to do I appreciate that but some comparisons maybe better. Just a thought.

One thing that was brought to my attention from a couple of forum members is that the front HDMI isn't hdcp2.2, I think it's v1.4 as I'm able to watch UHD blu Ray from my 4K player through this port to my 1080p displays, the rear HDMI ports I cannot.

Last edited:
I had the 3060 within a week or so after release, it's a great AVR, I did not however pay anything like RRP so do ring around for the best price.

I also found that Ypao worked very well especially for the sub, my room is difficult but it sounds very good to me, I do not like the default peq of 'Flat' after running Ypao though, I'm using 'Front'.

I use internet radio which sounds much better than FM, overall in very happy with it!.

So no harm in passing on the price you paid and the retailer

I wonder how much better the 3060 would be over my 3010.

I'm not convinced Atmos would add that much to my listening enjoyment (currently 5.1) especially when I could only use upfiring speakers like KEFs R50 sat on my CM4s. £2.5K for the 3060 plus a pair of R50s seems a hell of a lot of money for very little gain.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom