Yamaha RX-A3020 owners thread

Just upgraded from my denon 3312 due to me getting kef sl50's, the denon more to the point audyessey I found bass heavy.. After lots of playing around I decided to change the amp as the kefs need driving well... Wow I love the sound now so much cleaner :D really looking forward to rattling the house now..

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me here even though this owners thread is a little quiet...
I actually have a 2020 model but the principle should be the same.

Amp is in my cinema room with the 7.1 etc. extra speakers are in the kitchen and lounge which i have assigned to Zone 2/3. All I want to be able to do is play music in either of these 2 zones ( I used to be able to this on an old amp by selecting a/b speakers). The only way I seem to be able to do this is via partyplay but of course this activates every single speaker in all three rooms.

I feel like I'm being a bit thick here but this has got me baffled. Also did any one else assume that airplay meant wifi playback? Yes I am stupid it seems. Thanks for any help.

Does anyone know if I can use the Zone 2 and Zone 3 speaker outputs to bi-amp a pair of Stereo speaker in another zone. i.e. use a 5.1 in the cinema room and a bi-amp stereo set-up in the lounge?

i upgraded to the latest firmware 1.60 and now while watching Sky+ I get audio drop outs every so often. Anyone else have this issue on the RX-A3020?

brucemiranda,

I have this sneaking suspicion that you can use the second outputs for bi-amping have you checked the user manual?

Re HDMI source on zone 2, i have just tried playing the sound from y Humax PVR on zone 2 and nothing, not sure if its a setup issue.

I have only just had speakers installed (long story short, having a house refurb done and only now have speakers in the lounge and bedroom) despite having had the amp for a couple of months.

seems tricky to get this sucker set up. I have had the same issues with multi zone playing, some sources seem to want to play across all zones when i select them.

I found this morning that i had FM radio on the main zone, then went to zone 3 and put on a spotify track via airplay and the lounge changed to airplay as well. Changed it back and then two zones on different sources but not sure why i should have to fiddle with the switching back issue though.

Hi All

I am using this receiver to distribute AV signals around the house via new hard wired Cat5E and speaker wires. Still in the initial setup phase but i have this issue which i dont understand and cannot see the same issue or a solution in the FAQ or online. Hoping someone can throw some ideas my way please.

Currently as inputs I have a HD Sat decoder connected to AV1, ps3 to AV2 and a media player (Netgear EVA8000) to AV3.

The TV (samsung 55inch LED) is connected via a HDMI to cat 5 extender and when i try to watch the various sources the Sat decoder on AV1 works fine. Sound and vision is fine with sound output to the relevant speakers in the viewing room. The RX-A3020 is in a rack cabinet in another room to the tv.

I am trying to set up Napster and when i am viewing the sat decoder, using the onscreen menu I can see the receiver setup menu, but as soon as i hit the Net command on the receiver remote control (or select Napster as the input source using the yamaha remote app open my ipad) the screen goes blank and i cannot see the login screen or the receiver on screen menu.

I get the same issue when trying to use the net radio, server, tuner, etc on the TV connected to hdmi 1 i get nothing on screen and yet i think i should see the receivers menu for controlling these functions.

Similarly when i try to select one of the sources on AV2 or 3 i get a blank screen on the TV too. I suspect i have either changed/not changed a setting i should have done but cant figure it out, despite searching the manual repeatedly.

I cannot work out what it is i am doing wrong, any pointers much appreciated.

Is there a way you can check with a direct hdmi cable less than 5 meters?
I have my zone 4 tv connected via an hdmi extender but I suppose I can swap it to see if I get the same behaviour. I do get display on the main tv on all inputs.

Hi Brucemiranda

thanks for the thought, my main tv wqould be a pain to try this with, but i could try this with a smaller tv from one of the other rooms,

i have posted the same question on other threads/forums and most are coming up with ideas re resolution so i need to check this, but it could be a handshake issue i guess or the extender so need to check with a direct connection see if that influences the issues too.

Thanks.

I have my resolution set to "Through" in the AVR i.e. send out whatever it gets in. I have not forced the AVR to upscale or anything. See how you get on with the resolution settings or a direct connection to a TV. If you have no joy I can swap my HDMI cables on the AVR and tell you what I see on my set up.

Dear All

is anyone having any issues with the yamaha app either via an apple of android device?

The issue i have is that when i select one zone and play a source that other zones are changed automatically to that source as well. If i then go back and change the zones i back i usually get things playing where i want form the correct source.

i thoguht this might be a funciton of the party mode and have turned this off for zones 3 and 4 which are in bedrooms.

Anyone else had this?

I haven't tried the network interface to see if this suffers from the same problem as i have only just begun to learn how to use the receiver and have not tried using the provided remote in this respect either. This is because the receiver is in the office ion a rack and i am usually somewhere else!

Any thoughts appreciated.

I have my resolution set to "Through" in the AVR i.e. send out whatever it gets in. I have not forced the AVR to upscale or anything. See how you get on with the resolution settings or a direct connection to a TV. If you have no joy I can swap my HDMI cables on the AVR and tell you what I see on my set up.

Hi Bruce, turns out the HDMI extender i have doesn't do 1080p so setting the inputs so they only do 1080i resolves it for those devices.

The OSM though still doesn't display for napster/netradio/server/fm tuner.

However, because i need another extender i am going to buy one of the Octava items that will do 1080p over twin Cat5E plus it has optical both ways which will be really useful and a multi ouput IR blaster hopefully resolving any control issues that i would have had with a single blaster.

Hopefully that should be here next week and all the issues should be solved.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me here even though this owners thread is a little quiet...
I actually have a 2020 model but the principle should be the same.

Amp is in my cinema room with the 7.1 etc. extra speakers are in the kitchen and lounge which i have assigned to Zone 2/3. All I want to be able to do is play music in either of these 2 zones ( I used to be able to this on an old amp by selecting a/b speakers). The only way I seem to be able to do this is via partyplay but of course this activates every single speaker in all three rooms.

I feel like I'm being a bit thick here but this has got me baffled. Also did any one else assume that airplay meant wifi playback? Yes I am stupid it seems. Thanks for any help.

Did you resolve this?

i think that you need to make changes to the speaker setup so that it reflects the fact that you want to use another 2 zones.

I think you have to go into the manual speaker setup, can check if you like if you havent resolved?

Did you resolve this?

i think that if you want to play sources via hdmi on zone two you have to assign the second hdmi output to zone 2, i have mine set to zone 4 so get sound over the hdmi via tv speakers.

i think if using zone 2 for the second hdmi then to may have the option for sound over hdmi or via additional speakers.

Not sure i have this right as only starting to play with the receiver but wondered.

Glenn

Hi Bruce, turns out the HDMI extender i have doesn't do 1080p so setting the inputs so they only do 1080i resolves it for those devices.

The OSM though still doesn't display for napster/netradio/server/fm tuner.

However, because i need another extender i am going to buy one of the Octava items that will do 1080p over twin Cat5E plus it has optical both ways which will be really useful and a multi ouput IR blaster hopefully resolving any control issues that i would have had with a single blaster.

Hopefully that should be here next week and all the issues should be solved.
Dont bother with the Dual CAT versions now. They are outdated. By a HDBaseT version. They are not as expensive as they used to be and a much better.

I have the Yamaha A3020, is there a way to turn off the standby mode or is the front red light suppose to be on all the time?

Hi Bruce

understand your point, one of the reasons for selecting the product was the fact is has optical both ways.

The single cable option is about £50 more plus it does not have the optical I think, if it did I might rethink.

I have the Yamaha A3020, is there a way to turn off the standby mode or is the front red light suppose to be on all the time?

The red light indicates the receiver is in standby so no, there's no way of disabling it if the amp is in standby. This would be the same irrespective of the make of receiver being used. You can opt to turn the receiver off at the mains rather than using standby which would result in no power going to the receiver and therefor no light.

Turn HDMI Control off ([On Screen] -> Setup -> HDMI -> HDMI Control), Standby Through off ([On Screen] -> Setup -> HDMI -> Standby Through), and Network Standby off ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Network -> Network Standby).
That works!

Turn HDMI Control off ([On Screen] -> Setup -> HDMI -> HDMI Control), Standby Through off ([On Screen] -> Setup -> HDMI -> Standby Through), and Network Standby off ([On Screen] -> Setup -> Network -> Network Standby).
That works!

???

Not got my older Yamaha hooked up right now, but I think Yamaha receiver don't actually have a standby light? Are you sure you mean the standby light? HDMI through is illuminated when engaged and while the receiver is in standby, hence why the light you describes isn't on when you turn standby through off.

It would be illuminated in either of the following two scenarios:

• while the HDMI control function is on
• while the HDMI signal standby-through function is in operation

The light is HDMI THROUGH and not a STANDBY light.

Last edited:
The red light isn't a standby light. It indicates that the network is standby. To turn it off go to Manual Setup -> Network -> Network Standby -> Off.

After having switched it off the red light will be gone...

When using my iPad with the Yamaha app I click on the airplay input and the amp window shows airplay but as soon as I click on the music symbol (top right corner) the amp window changes to server. Is that how it should be when using airplay or is there something I'm missing?

When using my iPad with the Yamaha app I click on the airplay input and the amp window shows airplay but as soon as I click on the music symbol (top right corner) the amp window changes to server. Is that how it should be when using airplay or is there something I'm missing?

Are you actually playing iTunes audio prior to selecting the Airplay source on the receiver? Airplay needs you to engage playback via the iOS device or via iTunes on a PC or a Mac. You cannot simply browse through audio directories without audio first being played on the host as you would via DLNA.

Are you actually playing iTunes audio prior to selecting the Airplay source on the receiver? Airplay needs you to engage playback via the iOS device or via iTunes on a PC or a Mac. You cannot simply browse through audio directories without audio first being played on the host as you would via DLNA.

Prior to selecting airplay I'm playing music on my iPad.

Prior to selecting airplay I'm playing music on my iPad.

So why would you be selecting the icon you describe and how does it relate to the following image of the display you get when using Airplay?

h73p.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom