Yamaha RX-A3020 owners thread

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jwo011, Feb 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jwo011

jwo011
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just picked up new Yamaha RX-A3020 (black). Haven't had much time to play around with the settings yet (no room correction has been performed) but the first impression after hooking the speakers (Dali Zensor 7) up is positive. I used to have Onkyo 609 before so can the technological jump is quite significant, not to mention the sound quality.
    Wonder how many other Yamaha's flagship owners are out there. Feel free to share your experiences in this thread.
    Cheers! :hiya:

2. nucky

nucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,378
    I've got the Yamaha 3020 with B&W cm9 & cmcc2 great amp. I ran the YPAO the other day and the results are fantastic :smashin:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. indigoaven

indigoaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I know this is for RX-A1020 just sharing my views. My Yamaha RX-A1020 is on its way.I am not sure if this is a good receiver because haven't seen reviews yet. I chose this because of budget and the old model (A1010) seems ok and no major issue.

But its awkward I'm using Bose Accoustimas 10 IV, not sure as well if both will handshake together.
    Will post a review soon.

4. DeadEye

DeadEye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    What other receivers did you look at?

5. seanos

seanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My RX-A3020 arrived yesterday - very impressed so far.
    Upgraded from Onkyo 809.

So far, have found to have a richer/fuller feel to it, and the surround to be more natural.
    I found the Onkyo to have a slightly better interface at times - e.g. setting up other devices on the remote, assigning DSPs to each input & to each sound type per input.

One query;
    I was using it for ~9 hours yesterday, at -25dB to -30dB, with the front three speakers powered by an external power AMP (7.1 system), and it was quite warm to the touch. The Onkyo remained pretty cool throughout, even pushing it harder.
    There is approx 3 or 4 fingers ventilation space between the amp and the shelf above.
    (Onkyo used to stay at ~30oC, afraid I have no way of easily finding out the internal Yamaha temperature).

Also, I found updating firmware via Internet shockingly bad, USB updates seem to be the only sane thing to do.

6. river123

river123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I can't figure out why there is nothing coming from the sub. Could some one give me all the amp sub settings that need to be on and off including all the basics. All my 5.1 speakers (4 ohms) are set as small at 80hz and have set the amp to 6 ohms. I hope so far that's correct. Please can you help me.

7. jwo011

jwo011
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ DeadEye - I have looked at a rather wide range of receivers, starting from Onkyo 616 and Yamaha 673, eventually ending at Onkyo 1010 or Denon 3313. I have not had a fixed budget which gave me an option to be picky. Must admit that at first I wanted to go for a quick deal, simply buying another Onkyo, representing the same range as 609. Forgot to mention that the only reason why I've sold it was lack of 2 hdmi outputs. What I didn't quite like when I looked at 515 (609's replacement) was that it felt cheap and like a step back rather than keeping the same level of quality with some additional features, like 2 hdmi outputs, which were simply not there. Sticking with Onkyo meant buying higher model, like 616. That was the moment when I started opening my eyes for other brands. Interestingly enough, the final choice wasn't driven by an extensive testing or demo sessions for that matter. I have read quite a lot about the particular model, a salesman in the local store added his 50 cents and had offered me a good price (approx. GBP 1440). This, together with 3 year long warranty, set the right scene.
    Since my original post, I have listened to various music from both a cd or flac files. I've also watched couple of movies in different surround formats. All of that was done after letting Ypao to calibrate all the settings. The result was jaw dropping. I have never owned top of the line av receiver so could be that in a sense it was relatively easy to satisfy and exceed my requirements.
    Last but not least, I was initially hoping to buy mid range receiver and then buy a new sub but eventually have gone for receiver alone and don't regret such decision.
    @ Seanos - I have approached the firmware update with certain hesitation having read about other owners experiencing some errors. In my case, everything went smooth with the firmware downloaded and replaced the factory one.
    @river123 - I don't have a new sub yet so difficult to replicate the challenge you're facing but would suggest you look into the manual Ypao settings and check if the use of sub is enabled.

8. river123

river123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just had a little play with a 3d sky film and noticed the amp display window is flickering slightly. Is there a setting to turn this down or off?

9. hifibloke

hifibloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    ideally, you need more than that

10. hifibloke

hifibloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    as for sub did you connected right ? ( use pre out front 1) ignore the 6 ohm setting just leave it on 8 ohm

11. river123

river123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've managed to sort out the sub, I just have the issue with the flickering amp window when watching 3d.

12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,964
    If the receiver's display is flickering then I'd have the receiver replaced or repaired under warranty. This is a hardware fault and not something you'd expect to rectify yourself. Contact the retailer.

13. nucky

nucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,378
    Its not a fault it's 3D try turning the brightness all the way down on the amp that should sort it. I wish it had an on and of button for the display.

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,964
    Sorry, but it is a hardware fault and not a feature. Are you saying Yamaha included the flickering and wanted this to happen? It is a hardware fault.

15. cebs_uk

cebs_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    My old/current yamaha 750se has a dimming option in one of the sub menu, goes from 0-4 i think 4 being normall/full I'd be suprised if these wasn't standard on all their amps for years now.

16. river123

river123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Actually it's more like pulse than flickering, I'm surprised This top of the range amp does it as my last mid range amp didn't (Onkyo 876).
    So where do you turn down the brightness for the amp window?

17. nucky

nucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,378
    It only happens when 3D is on its the same with my oppo but I can switch the oppo display of

18. river123

river123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Found it and done it, it's much better and bearable.

19. tdm34

tdm34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

Don't forget that if your 3D TV uses Active shutter glasses, the flickering you describe if because the display isn't synchronised to the flicker speed of the glasses.

If you switch on a lamp in the room or have the curtains open you'd get a flicker effect from them as well.

20. Davidmcfarland

Davidmcfarland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    New to the site and have just purchased a new rxa 3020 and have some questions if someone can help me out , Question is I am wanting to expand the unit from 9.1 to 11.1 can i use my old av receiver which was a onkyo 674 or do i need to use a dedicated external amp , my other question , is anyone having trouble with the usb input not recognising any devices when inserted , all i get on screen is no device
    Cheers

21. sgt3274

sgt3274
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Very new here and first time poster. I have been lurking here for a number of months and I must say that there are many knowledgeable and helpful people frequenting this site.

I know most of my posts will be asking questions but I also hope to contribute in terms sharing my experiences.

My first question: I am currently using DSP-Z7 as a preamp. I am very happy with it but I'm wondering if upgrading to A3020 is worth it? I intend to use the 9.2 capability and perhaps up to 11.2 in the future but will there be a significant improvement in SQ? What other features I would be gaining if I upgrade?

Thanking in advance for your invaluable input.

22. sgt3274

sgt3274
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I went ahead and upgraded to A3020....

I did a firmware update to the latest version 1.41

When I go to INFO I can see that I did it successfully but the ADVANCED SETUP does not show the version number,only dashes. Anyone else noticed it? Is this normal after running the firmware?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  23. Glenn Uk

Glenn Uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just taken delivery of a new RX-A3020, currently waiting for new speakers to arrive before i can hear it.
    Upgrading form the Yamaha AV-1 all in one setup in my sig.

Using the new AVR located remotely and feeing the loung via Cat5 cabling.

Speaker package for the Lounge will be Monitor Audio R One HD front stage, with BX-FX for rears and a BK XLS200 MK2 sub. One zone 3 wil be a pair of MA BX-2 speakers,

Cant wait to hear it having been listening to the tv via its inbuilt speakers since September when we moved.

Once everything is hooked up and installed will update my sig to reflect the new system, sadly the lounge will likely be the last room finished in our refurb meaning it will probably be a while before i can listen to it properly.

24. sgt3274

sgt3274
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update to my previous post- the latest firmware is now 1.58 and does not exhibit the anomaly I described.

25. nucky

nucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,378
    I think I will be selling my Yamaha 3020 as I am going for a processor instead. I love the sound of the Yamaha

26. JokerJack

JokerJack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Just upgraded from my denon 3312 due to me getting kef sl50's, the denon more to the point audyessey I found bass heavy.. After lots of playing around I decided to change the amp as the kefs need driving well... Wow I love the sound now so much cleaner :D really looking forward to rattling the house now..

27. ManGina

ManGina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'm hoping someone might be able to help me here even though this owners thread is a little quiet...
    I actually have a 2020 model but the principle should be the same.

Amp is in my cinema room with the 7.1 etc. extra speakers are in the kitchen and lounge which i have assigned to Zone 2/3. All I want to be able to do is play music in either of these 2 zones ( I used to be able to this on an old amp by selecting a/b speakers). The only way I seem to be able to do this is via partyplay but of course this activates every single speaker in all three rooms.

I feel like I'm being a bit thick here but this has got me baffled. Also did any one else assume that airplay meant wifi playback? Yes I am stupid it seems. Thanks for any help.

28. brucemiranda

brucemiranda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Does anyone know if I can use the Zone 2 and Zone 3 speaker outputs to bi-amp a pair of Stereo speaker in another zone. i.e. use a 5.1 in the cinema room and a bi-amp stereo set-up in the lounge?

29. brucemiranda

brucemiranda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
  30. brucemiranda

brucemiranda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    i upgraded to the latest firmware 1.60 and now while watching Sky+ I get audio drop outs every so often. Anyone else have this issue on the RX-A3020?