Yamaha RX-A2A Owners Thread

BarryMcKelvey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

I couldn't actually see an owners thread on here, so I thought I'd create one myself. I hope to have my Yamaha RX-A2A up and running by the end of this coming weekend. I've never setup a Yamaha AV Receiver before, my previous AV Receiver was an Onkyo TX-NR609. Hopefully I'll not have any issues, but if I do, I'll know where to come to.

Thanks in Advance

Barry :)

Hi

To anyone out there that currently owns this A/V Receiver, what's the best way to remove the caps from the binding post, so that I can use banana plugs?

Thanks in Advance

Hi

To anyone out there that currently owns this A/V Receiver, what's the best way to remove the caps from the binding post, so that I can use banana plugs?

Thanks in Advance

Same as most amps. The tip of a sharp knife and gently prise them out then you can get your finger nails under them. You'll need standard 4mm banana plugs.

Same as most amps. The tip of a sharp knife and gently prise them out then you can get your finger nails under them. You'll need standard 4mm banana plugs.
Hi

Gaoycer 4mm Banana Plugs

Thanks in Advance

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
They'll do the job for you.:smashin:

Glad to see this thread up.

I'm very happy with the sound from my new RX-A2A, however I'm finding it struggles to settle on a stable 4K output from UHD sources.

Both my 4K Apple TV and Sony UHD disc player are rock solid instantly when connected directly to my Optoma UST 4K projector (via HDMI 2.1), but when I route either of these through my RX-A2A with the same cables I get a lot of harsh flashing static screens and crackling audio for several minutes before it finally settles down with a stable 4K signal to the UHD projector.

Is anyone else experiencing similar?

I've tried playing around with the various HDMI settings available on the receiver (and on the projector), but nothing really seems to help much. Seems to be the same regardless of which 4K format I output too - have tried various combinations of 24/50/60 fps with SDR/HDR, but the results are always the same.

Have be to very patient while the receiver and the projector seem to be working out what is going on. Is quite irritating, but at least once a stable video feed is established things seem pretty solid.

I'm thinking of getting one of these receivers, which would do the job for me in my space. I'll looking at getting Elac Debut A4.2 Atmos speakers as they'll sit nicely on my Monitor Audio bronzes up front. How is music on this receiver in say STRAIGHT mode? That's the setting I mostly used on my old RX-V661 for both movies and music.

I'm thinking of getting one of these receivers, which would do the job for me in my space. I'll looking at getting Elac Debut A4.2 Atmos speakers as they'll sit nicely on my Monitor Audio bronzes up front. How is music on this receiver in say STRAIGHT mode? That's the setting I mostly used on my old RX-V661 for both movies and music.
Hi

I'm still setting everything up, but I have Monitor Audio Bronze Speakers. I've got these Monitor Audio Dolby Atmos Speakers, they sit perfectly on top of the Monitor Audio Bronze Speakers.

I have an A2A my main speakers are MA Bronze. Listening to Radio 3 right now from the receivers own internet connection in straight mode and it certainly tingles my spine. As it does in 2ch stereo or all ch. stereo to be honest.

I'm sure it'll wipe the floor with my old RX-V661! Though I do love the damn thing.
Might get those 4mm Banana Plugs too.
Hi

I'm Bi Wiring my Front Left/Right and Centre Speakers. I've never Bi Wired speakers before, so I'll be interested to see if there are any advantages.

Hi

I'm Bi Wiring my Front Left/Right and Centre Speakers. I've never Bi Wired speakers before, so I'll be interested to see if there are any advantages.

Yeah will you post any quirks or other findings on this thread about that or the receiver as you go, so I can learn from your mistakes :thumbsup:

Yeah will you post any quirks or other findings on this thread about that or the receiver as you go, so I can learn from your mistakes :thumbsup:
Hi

Im sure I will have a lot of posts, this is my first time setting up a Yamaha Amp. My previous amps were Onkyo. I hope the setup isnt too different.

Hi

Im sure I will have a lot of posts, this is my first time setting up a Yamaha Amp. My previous amps were Onkyo. I hope the setup isnt too different.

Interestingly I had ran YPAO on my old Yammy in Natural mode every time but a month ago I used Flat mode and I think it sounds better, dialogue seems a bit cleaner too. Don't know if that's the same with the A2A?

Interestingly I had ran YPAO on my old Yammy in Natural mode every time but a month ago I used Flat mode and I think it sounds better, dialogue seems a bit cleaner too. Don't know if that's the same with the A2A?

THe PEQ curves can be changed without having to rerun the YPAO calibration. You can freeely change the FLAT, FRONT, NTURAL or THROUGH option whenever you feel like it. The calibration doesn't target the curve it was set to prior to running it, it simply alters the filters to attain the target result post calibration after you've run the calibration.

Yes, the first generationof AV receiver's to incorporate target curves and auto calibration did need to be set to the desired curve prior to running the calibration, not only on YamahaAV receivers but also on other brands of AV receiver. This is however no longer the case and hasn't been the case for over a decade now.

FLAT or NATURAL are the most popular options. FLAT is technically in alignment with what would be regarded as industry standard and would equate to what you'd expect in a studio, but it can sound a little harsh in smaller rooms smf home theatres. THe NATURAL option rolls the frequencies off earlier to give you a warmer sound than is less harsh. FRONT simply tries to emulate the sound of the front left and right speakers via all the speakers present. Not really the best option unless you've exceedingly good stereo speakers set up perfectly in an acoustically transparent location?

It should be noted that the NATURAL option is the closest to Yamaha's own perceptions of how their products are tuned. THe term NATURAL used to be used to denote higher end Yamaha hifi products. Only the upper tier models included the term NATURAL within their names.

As said, you can set the PEQ filter post calibration and then change it whenever you like without having to run the calibration again.

Last edited:
THe PEQ curves can be changed without having to rerun the YPAO calibration. You can freeely change the FLAT, FRONT, NTURAL or THROUGH option whenever you feel like it. The calibration doesn't target the curve it was set to prior to running it, it simply alters the filters to attain the target result post calibration after you've run the calibration.

Yes, the first generationof AV receiver's to incorporate target curves and auto calibration did need to be set to the desired curve prior to running the calibration, not only on YamahaAV receivers but also on other brands of AV receiver. This is however no longer the case and hasn't been the case for over a decade now.

FLAT or NATURAL are the most popular options. FLAT is technically in alignment with what would be regarded as industry standard and would equate to what you'd expect in a studio, but it can sound a little harsh in smaller rooms smf home theatres. THe NATURAL option rolls the frequencies off earlier to give you a warmer sound than is less harsh. FRONT simply tries to emulate the sound of the front left and right speakers via all the speakers present. Not really the best option unless you've exceedingly good stereo speakers set up perfectly in an acoustically transparent location?

It should be noted that the NATURAL option is the closest to Yamaha's own perceptions of how their products are tuned. THe term NATURAL used to be used to denote a higher end Yamaha hifi products. Only the upper tier models included the term NATURAL in their names.

As said, you can set the PEQ filter post calibration and then change it whenever you like without having to run the calibration again.

Yes I mainly ran the YPAO again after changing the locations or positions of the speakers. I moved my centre speaker so I had to run it again and in my room FLAT sounds better to my ears.

Hi

I thought I'd post this in here as well as the other Yahama Threaad.

Does anyone know how to Factory Reset the Yamaha RX-A2A? The receiver is only recognising my Monitor Audio Front Left/Right, Centre, Rear Left/Right and Sub Woofer Speakers, its not recognising my Monitor Audio Dolby Atmos Speakers. The Dolby Atmos Speakers are connected to the Estra SP1 F/Presence/Zone 2 Connections. Everytime I connect the YPAO, the On Screen Menu still recognises a 5.1 Setup.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks in Advance
Barry

I'd first check the amp assignments before doing a reinitialisation of the AV receiver.

See page 295 in the owners manual for details on how to initializw the AV receiver.

I'd first check the amp assignments before doing a reinitialisation of the AV receiver.

See page 295 in the owners manual for details on how to initializw the AV receiver.
Hi

I'd found the option, thanks ;-) I'd selected the right option then used the YPAO for the sound setup. Whilst configuring the speakers and the tones played from each speaker, I'd noticed that the sound from the Right Dolby Atmos Speaker was a much high pitch that the rest of the speakers.

Surely thats not normal?

Thanks in Advance

Hi

I'd found the option, thanks ;-) I'd selected the right option then used the YPAO for the sound setup. Whilst configuring the speakers and the tones played from each speaker, I'd noticed that the sound from the Right Dolby Atmos Speaker was a much high pitch that the rest of the speakers.

Surely thats not normal?

Thanks in Advance

Could simply be an anomally with the calibration and the resulting EQ corrections? Try redoing the calibration as opposed to having to initialise the entire setup. A new calibration will overwrite the previous one.

Last edited:
Could simply be an anomally with the calibration and the result EQ corrections? Try redoing the calibration as opposed to having to initialise the entire setup. A new calibration will overwrite the previous one.
Hi

I've noticed that the sound from the Left Dolby Atmos Speaker isn't as loud or as crisp as the Right Dolby Atmos Speaker.

How do I carry out a calibration? Is it just a case of having to manually adjust the EQ?

Thanks in Advance

Have you not as yet calibrated the setup using the supplied mic?

If not then I'd suggest this as being why your setup doesn't sound right. Again, read the manual and then proceed to calibrate the AV receiver by following the instructions in that manual.

Last edited:
Have you not as yet calibrated the setup using the supplied mic?

If not then I'd suggest this as being why your setup doesn't sound right. Again, read the manual and then proceed to calibrate the AV receiver by dollowing the instry=uction in that manual.
Hi

Yes, I'd calibrated the speaker setup using the YPAO. That's why in my earlier post I'd said that I'd noticed the the Right Dolby Atmos Speaker having a higher pitch during the calibration.

Thanks in Advance

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom