Yamaha RX-A2A Owners Thread

Jay53

Wow thanks for the update. I wonder why they couldn’t release the update on the a4a which I am currently using at the moment. I have an extended return policy until the a8a comes out which I think is very soon as I see some places starting to sell them. Hopefully patches roll out soon for them.
A4A and above have a different hdmi 2.1 board compared to the v4a/v6a/a2a so I assume firmware is not ready for that board type?

MDBurbank

Novice Member
I have a question for the group. I purchased the RX_A2 and have started to set it up. I have the speakers all set up with banana plugs. I'm running a 5.1 set up to start.

My issue isn't with the speakers, but my Sony Smart TV. I'm using it to run all the apps.. PLEX, PHILO, Netflix, Amazon Prime and others. I also have an antenna to receive OTA channels. I also have a Sony PS3 as my blu-ray player going directly into the TV. There is a optical cable for the output from the TV. I have a 8K eArc cable running from the TV to the receiver.

Basically I'm using the TV like an Amazon Fire box.

However, I can find nothing in the manual about how to set up 5.1 thru the TV. The display on the receiver shows TV Straight. I'm only getting sound thru center, front right and left speakers.

Any suggestions would be helpful.. (no I have not set up YPAO). Also, when I press the "setup" on the remote, it changes the input in the TV to HDMI... weird.

Thanks
Mark..

dante01

Distinguished Member
I have a question for the group. I purchased the RX_A2 and have started to set it up. I have the speakers all set up with banana plugs. I'm running a 5.1 set up to start.

My issue isn't with the speakers, but my Sony Smart TV. I'm using it to run all the apps.. PLEX, PHILO, Netflix, Amazon Prime and others. I also have an antenna to receive OTA channels. I also have a Sony PS3 as my blu-ray player going directly into the TV. There is a optical cable for the output from the TV. I have a 8K eArc cable running from the TV to the receiver.

However, I can find nothing in the manual about how to set up 5.1 thru the TV. The display on the receiver shows TV Straight. I'm only getting sound thru center, front right and left speakers.

Any suggestions would be helpful.. (no I have not set up YPAO). Also, when I press the "setup" on the remote, it changes the input in the TV to HDMI... weird.

Thanks
Mark..

What TV model is it and is it ARC or eARC enabled?

ARC is a feature that allows you ro repurpose the HDMI connection between a TV and an AV receiver or a soundbar to convey audio from that TV to the AVR or soundbar. Both the TV and the AV receiver need to be ARC enabled though. Your AV receiver is ARC and eARC enabled.

You'd be able to convey SD 5.1 DTS, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+ encoded audio via ARC and even Atmos if packaged with DD+ as opposed to TrueHD. THe conventional incarnation of ARC is not however able to convey HD formats or more than 2 channel PCM. eARC would also allowyou to convey HD formatted audio and multichannel PCM.

Streaming services don't use HD formatted audio and basically all use DD or DD+.

If both your TV and AV receiver are ARC enabled then ensure that you connect them using the AVR's ARC enabled output connected to the TV's ARC enabled input. THe TV will only have one specific input with this ability and it should be labelled accordingly.

You'd need to ensure that ARC is turned on onboard both the TV and the AV receiver. THe TV setting will more than likely be in its sound or audio configurations while the AV receiver's ARC setting will be located in its HDMI configurations. Note that you'd also need to turn HDMI Control on onboard the AV receiver and the TV's implimentation of HDMI CEC. This is commonly termed Bravia Sync on Sony products. The TV will also have a digital audio output setting which you should set to an option that equates to BITSTREAM. Don't set this to PCM or all audio being output would be downmixed to 2 channel PCM.

YPAO and the AV receivers speaker configurations have nothing to do with streaming audio from the TV to the AVR.

Barney Gumble

Thanks
Mark..
There's a round knob on the front of the receiver, if you gently push that, you're presented with a circle of display options, one of which will tell you the output such as DD, Atmos/DD+ or Atmos/PCM. Although of course, you're unlikely to see the latter, only having a 5.1 set-up but, I hope you get the point; it is possible to see the contents output via the display on the receiver.

I wouldn't us the optical as well as the HDMI lead from the TV. just use the HDMI lead and ensure ARC is enabled on the TV. I would also set the TV to output 'passthrough' so the signal is sent to the receiver to decode.

MDBurbank

Novice Member
What TV model is it and is it ARC or eARC enabled?

ARC is a feature that allows you ro repurpose the HDMI connection between a TV and an AV receiver or a soundbar to convey audio from that TV to the AVR or soundbar. Both the TV and the AV receiver need to be ARC enabled though. Your AV receiver is ARC and eARC enabled.

You'd be able to convey SD 5.1 DTS, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital+ encoded audio via ARC and even Atmos if packaged with DD+ as opposed to TrueHD. THe conventional incarnation of ARC is not however able to convey HD formats or more than 2 channel PCM. eARC would also allowyou to convey HD formatted audio and multichannel PCM.

Streaming services don't use HD formatted audio and basically all use DD or DD+.

If both your TV and AV receiver are ARC enabled then ensure that you connect them using the AVR's ARC enabled output connected to the TV's ARC enabled input. THe TV will only have one specific input with this ability and it should be labelled accordingly.

You'd need to ensure that ARC is turned on onboard both the TV and the AV receiver. THe TV setting will more than likely be in its sound or audio configurations while the AV receiver's ARC setting will be located in its HDMI configurations. Note that you'd also need to turn HDMI Control on onboard the AV receiver and the TV's implimentation of HDMI CEC. This is commonly termed Bravia Sync on Sony products. The TV will also have a digital audio output setting which you should set to an option that equates to BITSTREAM. Don't set this to PCM or all audio being output would be downmixed to 2 channel PCM.

YPAO and the AV receivers speaker configurations have nothing to do with streaming audio from the TV to the AVR.

Dante01,

Thanks for the reply..

My TV is a Sony XBR 65X81CH. It doesn't have an eARC, but it has a ARC.

The main issue at the moment is, I can't get to the setting for the RX-A2. Every time I push the settings button, it takes me to the setting for input HDMI1 on the TV!!!!

Nothing is display on the screen for me to change for the receiver.

Richardxx

Dante01,

Thanks for the reply..

The main issue at the moment is, I can't get to the setting for the RX-A2. Every time I push the settings button, it takes me to the setting for input HDMI1 on the TV!!!!

My RX A2A remote does not have a button called 'settings'. Do you mean 'SETUP'? or 'OPTION'? perhaps?

Barney Gumble

Dante01,

Thanks for the reply..

You can access the settings to the receiver via a web browser too.

You'll have to identify your receiver from within your router settings, which shouldn't be too hard to find out and enter the device number where the asterisk is in the following address - http://192.168.1.*/Setup/

dante01

Distinguished Member
Ensure the TV is set to the HDMI input you've connect the AV receiver to. Ensure both the TV and the AV receiver are powered up. Set the AV receiver to any source other than the ARC TV source. Press the button on the AV receiver's remote that looks like a gear wheel:

by default 2022-01-14 at 23.22.29.png

All I can suggest is that the AV receiver has been set to the ARC TV source when you powered the TV and or the AV receiver up. The AV receiver doesn't output anything to the TV if the source is set to ARC TV so it wouldn't convey its menu or other onscreen graphics to the TV while set to the ARC TV source.

Try set it to a different source.

Last edited:

MDBurbank

Novice Member
My RX A2A remote does not have a button called 'settings'. Do you mean 'SETUP'? or 'OPTION'? perhaps?

Sorry for being such a noob..

Setting is for the TV.. I meant SETUP on the Yamaha Remote. Every time I press it (Setup), it doesn't display the Yamaha Setup menu on the TV.. All it does is change the Input Source on the TV (Sony XBR-65X81CH) to HDMI1.

I tried your suggestion of using the router to get to the setup, I got the IP address, added /Setup/ at the end, but the connection times out (yes the receiver was on).

The way the Sony XBR is set up is: HDMI1 is empty - nothing connected. HDMI2 is connected to a Sony PS3. HDMI3 is the ARC - this is connected to the Yamaha eARC. I have a Sony CD/DVD player connected, but this is via R/W/Y cable to the TV.

On the Yamaha, only the eARC HDMI has a cable connected, all the other HDMI slots are empty. Of course the speakers are connected.

So I'm frustrated as to why I can't see the Yamaha setup menu on the TV.

I've read you note on the ARC TV issue.. Not sure what other source you mean.

Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member

Setting is for the TV.. I meant SETUP on the Yamaha Remote. Every time I press it (Setup), it doesn't display the Yamaha Setup menu on the TV.. All it does is change the Input Source on the TV (Sony XBR-65X81CH) to HDMI1.

I tried your suggestion of using the router to get to the setup, I got the IP address, added /Setup/ at the end, but the connection times out (yes the receiver was on).

The way the Sony XBR is set up is: HDMI1 is empty - nothing connected. HDMI2 is connected to a Sony PS3. HDMI3 is the ARC - this is connected to the Yamaha eARC. I have a Sony CD/DVD player connected, but this is via R/W/Y cable to the TV.

On the Yamaha, only the eARC HDMI has a cable connected, all the other HDMI slots are empty. Of course the speakers are connected.

Thanks

Simply set the TV to the input the AV receiver is connected to and connect another source to the AV receiver. Select the other source amd then press the button with the gearwheel on it.

If this is too much for you to comprehend then turn off HDMI Control onboard the TV and don't use ARC utile you've had an opportunity to access the settings on the AV receiver.

You do not see the settings because the TV is either not sert to the input the AV receiver is set to or because the source onboard the AV receiver is set to the AUDIO 1 source allocated for use by ARC. The TV will have automatilly caused the AV eceiver to switch itself to the ARC source when you powered it up and the AV receiver doesn't output anything to the TV while it is set to the ARC source. You cannot display the AV receiver's menu and onscreen graphics if the AV receiver is set to the ARC source. Neither will you see such graphics unless you set the TV's input to the input the AV receiver is actually connected to.

And no, pressing the AV receiver's settings button on the AV receiver's remote would not have any effect upon the TV.

Barney Gumble

If the the link is timing out, be sure to double check the browser isn't adding the prefix 'https' itself rather than 'http' which makes up the beginning of 'http://192.168.1.*/Setup/'

Not everybody has a PC or lappy in the living room or to hand, I do. So, it is incredibly convenient for myself to look and double check the receiver settings via a browser on my Mac rather than annoying everyone else watching when a menu pops up on the screen.

Jay53

Thanks

No idea why its switching to TV hdmi 1 but based on the info you've given

Make sure the avr is set to one of its hdmi inputs (use the avr mini display) and the once you've pressed the setup button on the avr remote, use the TV remote a d change the TV hdmi input to hdmi 3 i.e. the one avr is plugged into. You should then see the setup menu of the avr.

However as you've not got any devices attached to the avr you might have to temporarily attach a source device so that the avr has something to overlay it's setup details on top of (sorry don't have this avr so don't know if that's the case).

dante01

Distinguished Member
If the the link is timing out, be sure to double check the browser isn't adding the prefix 'https' itself rather than 'http' which makes up the beginning of 'http://192.168.1.*/Setup/'

Not everybody has a PC or lappy in the living room or to hand, I do. So, it is incredibly convenient for myself to look and double check the receiver settings via a browser on my Mac rather than annoying everyone else watching when a menu pops up on the screen.

Note that a PC or Mac isn't strictly speaking required. You can access the web interface via a browser on a Phone or tablet. The latter would be better though due to a cellphone's screen size.

MDBurbank

Novice Member

Thanks for the clarification on the HTTP. That worked and I can get the settings via my web browser.

MDBurbank

Novice Member
No idea why its switching to TV hdmi 1 but based on the info you've given

Make sure the avr is set to one of its hdmi inputs (use the avr mini display) and the once you've pressed the setup button on the avr remote, use the TV remote a d change the TV hdmi input to hdmi 3 i.e. the one avr is plugged into. You should then see the setup menu of the avr.

However as you've not got any devices attached to the avr you might have to temporarily attach a source device so that the avr has something to overlay it's setup details on top of (sorry don't have this avr so don't know if that's the case).
Thanks.. I really appreciate all the help everyone is giving me.

I will try it as you suggest above. I'll get back to everyone as to my progress.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom