Yamaha RX-A2A No Atmos over EARC with PC or Series X

D

Deleted member 911784

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a Yamaha RX-A2A set up in a 5.1.2 configuration. It is connected to a LG CX TV via HDMI 2.1 cable. Passthrough is enabled and so is EARC. I can stream Disney plus shows and get Dolby Atmos.

When I connect to my PC (my pc is connected to the TV not the receiver via HDMI 2.1 cable) and enable Dolby Atmos in windows the MusicCast app shows I am playing PCM 48 content, this even happens when I play Atmos enabled games with special audio selected in the game settings. I’ve tried the usually uninstall audio/ grapjics drivers and the problem persists. However, the issue is not with the PC. I know this because my soundbar will show it is playing Atmos content from the PC when connected using the same HDMI cable as the AV receiver.

Whats unusual is if I switch off EARC on the LG TV settings the MusicCast app says I am playing Atmos/ DD 48 content from the PC. This seems completely backwards and makes no sense to me. I also know this is not true Atmos so I’m not happy with this as a solution.

I am using straight mode on the receiver, if I try Dolby mode it still says PCM 48 as above. I am also able to enable Atmos on my series x using the same HDMI cable as the PC, so this rules out the TV as the issue.

Does anyone know what to do to make Atmos work over earc on PC using this AV receiver?

Update: I did try connecting the pc directly to the receiver and have the exact same experience as above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows PCs cannot bitstream Atmos and use Dolby MAT. This means that the TrueHD or DD+ encoded element of the audio package inclusive of Atmos metadata is decoded by the PC and output as multichannel PCM in conjunction with the Atmos metadata. The AV receiver should however still detect the Atmos metadata and indicate it is receiving Atmos on it front display.

Windows PCs, XBoxes and the Apple TV all use Dolby MAT to facilitate the output of Atmos.

If PCM is only being indicated as the audio being received even if conveying the audio directly to the AVR and while the AVT is in a STRAIGHT mode then this indicates that the source is not outputting the Atmos metadata along with the PCM data. THe source is more than likely incorrectly configured?

Windows PCs cannot bitstream Atmos and use Dolby MAT. This means that the TrueHD or DD+ encoded element of the audio package inclusive of Atmos metadata is decoded by the PC and output as multichannel PCM in conjunction with the Atmos metadata. The AV receiver should however still detect the Atmos metadata and indicate it is receiving Atmos on it front display.

Windows PCs, XBoxes and the Apple TV all use Dolby MAT to facilitate the output of Atmos.

If PCM is only being indicated as the audio being received even if conveying the audio directly to the AVR and while the AVT is in a STRAIGHT mode then this indicates that the source is not outputting the Atmos metadata along with the PCM data. THe source is more than likely incorrectly configured?
Thank you for getting back to me. The trouble is I don’t know where I have gone wrong because all I have to do is connect the receiver earc port to the tv’s earc port and turn on earc on the TV and enable passthrough. The receiver has got lots of setting though, so maybe I’ll try a factory reset and see if that helps.

eARC doesn't appear to be the issue. You posted that you still don't get Atmos even if connecting the PC directly to the AV receiver. I can therefore only conclude that the issue is with the PC and the way it has been configured? The PC isn't outputting the Atmos metadata if the AV receiver isn't detecting it.

I'm assuming that you haf the AV receiver set to its STRAIGHT mode and that you've a setup inclusive of at least 2 presence speakers? The receiver would need a 5.1.2 setup in order to noth acknowledge the presence of Atmos as well as to portray it.

I'd suggest that the issue is with your PC and or its configurations.

I just did a complete reset of the receiver and still have the same issues. I also have the Ambeo soundbar and just tried that with the PC again and the sennheiser app is showing it is Dolby Atmos (when connected through the TV or directly to the soundbar) makes it difficult to troubleshoot the pc because it must be sending the correct signal if the Ambeo is picking it up.

I did try the display driver uninstaller utility on the PC in safe mode but this made no difference either.

What I have noticed noticed is if I disable earc on the TV the av receiver will display Atmos/ DD when using with the PC (I’m assuming this is a lower quality signal). For some reason turning on earc triggers PCM from the PC when connected to the receiver but no issues on the Ambeo.

just to confirm I’m using Straight but I also attempted the Dolby Digital surround decoder but they both have the same result as above.

Sorry, forgot to mention I am running a 5.1.2 set up, the upward firing speakers are the Klipsch R-41SA Amos Speakers.

As I've suggested, the issue is with your PC and not the AV receiver.

Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) is a lossy SD format that can be used to convey Atmos metadata. This format is what the streaming services use to deliver Atmos. You'd get Atmos delivered in conjunction with TrueHD if accessed via a Blu-ray or UHD disc. This is a lossless HD format that requires higher bandwidth. Atmos can only be paxkaged with DD+ or with Dolby TrueHD.

You shouldn't be getting DD+ or TrueHD while streaming Atmos from a PC. As said, Windows PCs use Dolby MAT to enable them to output Atmos and this would result in the PC doing the decoding and sending the Atmos metadata out along with multichannel PCM.

Last edited:
As I've suggested, the issue is with your PC and not the AV receiver.

Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) is a lossy SD format that can be used to convey Atmos metadata. THis format is what the streaming services use to deliver Aymos. You'd get Atmos delivered in conjunction with TrueHD if accessed via a Blu-ray or UHD disc. THis is a lossless HD format that requires higher bandwidth. Atmos can pnly be paxkaged with DD+ or with Dolby TrueHD.

You shouldn't be getting DD+ or TrueHD while streaming Atmos from a PC. AS said, Windows PCs use Dolby MAT to enable them to output Atmos and this would result in the PC doing the decoding and sending the Atmos metadata out along with multichannel PCM.

Hi,

Thanks for helping, and apologies if I am misunderstanding your advice. The issue is ongoing with this receiver.

My GPU is the 3090 and I tried it again with my series x today and it is doing PCM with that also (I was wrong in my earlier post). This is with earc and pass-through enabled on the TV. I also have a ps5 and when I use it with that I get DD+ from the receiver. So it’s only my 30 series gpu and series x which have the PCM issue over earc.

I have emailed Yamaha support today regarding this issue as I am aware this receiver has issues with HDMI 2.1 (but I thought this was only if you connect direct to the receiver and everything is fine if you go via the TV).

What is your take on this?

TLDR - It outputs PCM with HDMI 2.1 (actual earc - like series x and 30 series GPU) and Dolby with equivalent HDMI 2.0 (arc - like PS5, PS4, streaming from the TV). If I disable earc on the TV the receiver will play Atmos/DD+ 48 from the series x and 3090 gpu.

My take on it is that the issue is with your source or sources and not the AV receiver. The AVR in question has no issues recognising Atmos metadata wherther is be packaged with Dolby TrueHD, GG1 or whether it is included with multichannel PCM in association wirth Dolby MAT from a Windows PC, XBox or Apple TV.

I'd suspect your source devices audio configurations to be at the root of the issue?

If I was in your position I would be inclined to temporarily take possible eARC issues out of the equation. Connect the pc (or Xbox) directly to avr & focus your attention on your pc audio/ Xbox/ avr settings to see if you can get it work as expected (even if that means reducing the resolution/ hdmi bandwidth). If you can get that to work then try connecting using eARC.

I think the devices are set up correctly, the series x is probably the easier one to check and that says HDMI Audio is Bitstream out and the bitstream format is Dolby Atmos. I’m using the correct cables and normally these setting work. I tried toggling pass-through on the series x on and off but this made no difference.

What I have discovered though is when I turn off HDMI Control in the receiver setting the receiver will display Atmos and or DD+ (with the PC/Series x with earc enabled). It can be random which combination of this it shows on the display with the same game so it’s still inconsistent.
This also means I have to re-configure everything ever time I turn on the TV and the TV remote won’t control the receiver.
It doesn’t feel like much of a solution though, and now I’m wondering if there is a software/ firmware bug.
When I first got this receiver It updated from version 1.31 to 1.36. I’ll try to see if I can flash the firmware to see if this irons out any problems.

Update: I used a USB to install the latest firmware (1.36) but this did not change anything. I’ll call Yamaha tomorrow but may end up returning this receiver and trying another.

Im unsure if this is relevant but when it says it’s PCM the ceiling speakers still output sound.

The XBox uses Dolby MAT to enable it to output Atmos. You'd have to ensure that you've the required add on installed and that they were cpnfigured correctly if wanting to output Atmos from an XBox. There are specofic setting relative to this on an XBox. You'd not be bitstreaming the audio and the console would be decoding the DD+ or TrueHD of the audio package. THis would be output as multichannel PCM alongside theassociated Atmos metadata.

The XBox, Windows PCs and the Apple TV all use Dolby MAT to enable them to output Atmos.

Last edited:
Hi,

thank you both for your replies. I tried the series x again via the tv and direct into the receiver and the problem continues. One thing I’ve noticed throughout is the receiver display will show DTHD for less than a second before defaulting to PCM. This is for both the series x and PC.

I’ve attached some photos so you can see how this is configured and a photo of the series x working on my Sonos Arc in the same configuration with Atmos working without issue.

Edit: I forgot to mention when the series x is connected directly to the receiver I can select Dolby Digital or DTS from the Xbox menu and the receiver will output DD and DTS X 48 (my LG CX won’t allow DTS for any device connected directly to it) without issue. The problem I have is specifically with Atmos.
2F809EE8-CD60-4F53-A663-1EBD9A4CACE1.jpeg
F43E07B9-C483-41A4-91E3-1F6D7C1A59A7.jpeg
DD990AA6-907A-41B0-B721-9027C417E378.jpeg

Any update with this issue ?

I might have exact same behavior with my Yamaha RX-V6A receiver and PC RTX30.
Some info:

• My TV doesn’t support eARC so I’m using direct connection to AV in HDMI2.1 inputs
  • Xbox Serie X is actually working in ATMOS (AV displays “ATMOS”)
  • With PC RTX30 series, same AV input as Xbox, same cable, Yamaha RX-V6A displays “PCM”, but, in “Option => Audio signal info”, for “input signal value” I have ‘—’ (so not specifics channels, as ATMOS did), and “output signal” is 5.1.2. And I have the feeling that 3D audio is ok during games.
  • I’m using MS HDMI Audio driver (not Nvidia witch doesn’t provide any ATMOS output)

I think there is something wrong when PC switch in Dolby MAT for ATMOS, metadata format or something is not recognized by AV (it also shows DTHD for less than 1 second).

Hello, I recently was trying to figure this out too, and realized there is a way to enable the Yamaha RX A2A to actually say “Atmos / DD+” on the receiver.

There is a smaller knob on the right side of the receiver, and if you push IN , you are given a selection to view special info, like the decoder. Make sure you are on the correct “output” either TV or your Blu-ray Player. When it’s identified, it will show Atmos / DD+.

For me, this selection makes a big difference than listening to “STRAIGHT”. I have a LG OLED tv and was watching via built in Apple TV app, the show was “Monarch”, some Godzilla show, and I switched between “STRAIGHT” and “Atmos / DD+” , and the beginning scene inside the airplane was very different. Can actually hear overheads more clearly.

Hope that works for you all.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom