Yamaha RX-A2A best settings

Malwi

Standard Member
Hi
I have purchased a Yamaha RX-A2A that drives QAcoustics 7000 speakers and sub in a 5.1 configuration. I have done the YPAO calibration and set my speakers as small post that and set the cross over for all 5 speakers at 120Hz. I am running it in "Straight mode" as the primary input is a Amazon 4k Firestick connected to the AV. I have the following questions
  1. Is there any other settings in AV I should optimise to get the best sound?
  2. I am trying to play some Dolby Atmos videos on You tube (not sure if there are any on prime) , but only getting Dolby Digital plus on the input and display. As I have only 5.1 system, I have set the Virtual speakers on
Any help is appreciated

dante01

Distinguished Member
If wanting to portray Atmos soundtracks then you'd need at least a 5.1.2 speaker laypoout. That would be one with 2 more additional presence speakers which are currently absent from your setup. Without these, the AV receiver wouldn't even acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata.

Anyway, you cannot get Atmos via YouTube. Atmos cannot be conveyed via YouTube and everything you get via that service will be nothing more than 2 channel stereo in nature.

Malwi

Standard Member
If wanting to portray Atmos soundtracks then you'd need at least a 5.1.2 speaker laypoout. That would be one with 2 more additional presence speakers which are currently absent from your setup. Without these, the AV receiver wouldn't even acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata.

Anyway, you cannot get Atmos via YouTube. Atmos cannot be conveyed via YouTube and everything you get via that service will be nothing more than 2 channel stereo in nature.
I have enabled Dolby height virtualisation. Will that enable me play Atmos in a 5.1 setup? Are there any streaming services in U.K. that offers Atmos content?

dante01

Distinguished Member
It should, but would also negate some the other features while in use and wouldn't idealistically be as good as what you'd hear if using actual physical presence speakers.

Disney+, Netflix, Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime all include content that has Atmos. Such content is rather scarce on Amazon though. It should also be noted that you'd need a Netflix Premium subscription to enable you access Atmos if and when available via the Netflix service..

Last edited:

BarryMcKelvey

I have enabled Dolby height virtualisation. Will that enable me play Atmos in a 5.1 setup? Are there any streaming services in U.K. that offers Atmos content?
Hi

How did you enable Dolby Height Virtualisation?

Thanks in Advance

Barry :)

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi

How did you enable Dolby Height Virtualisation?

Thanks in Advance

Again, look at the manual:

by default 2021-10-23 at 00.36.10.png

BarryMcKelvey

Again, look at the manual:

View attachment 1590414
Hi

It was already turned on, I don't remember turning it on.

I hate reading manuals, I struggle with reading pages upon pages. I don't have a long enough attention span lol.

I even hate reading long posts on here. for the same reasons. Sorry :-(

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom