Yamaha RX-A2A best settings

Malwi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have purchased a Yamaha RX-A2A that drives QAcoustics 7000 speakers and sub in a 5.1 configuration. I have done the YPAO calibration and set my speakers as small post that and set the cross over for all 5 speakers at 120Hz. I am running it in "Straight mode" as the primary input is a Amazon 4k Firestick connected to the AV. I have the following questions
  1. Is there any other settings in AV I should optimise to get the best sound?
  2. I am trying to play some Dolby Atmos videos on You tube (not sure if there are any on prime) , but only getting Dolby Digital plus on the input and display. As I have only 5.1 system, I have set the Virtual speakers on
Any help is appreciated

If wanting to portray Atmos soundtracks then you'd need at least a 5.1.2 speaker laypoout. That would be one with 2 more additional presence speakers which are currently absent from your setup. Without these, the AV receiver wouldn't even acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata.

Anyway, you cannot get Atmos via YouTube. Atmos cannot be conveyed via YouTube and everything you get via that service will be nothing more than 2 channel stereo in nature.

If wanting to portray Atmos soundtracks then you'd need at least a 5.1.2 speaker laypoout. That would be one with 2 more additional presence speakers which are currently absent from your setup. Without these, the AV receiver wouldn't even acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata.

Anyway, you cannot get Atmos via YouTube. Atmos cannot be conveyed via YouTube and everything you get via that service will be nothing more than 2 channel stereo in nature.
I have enabled Dolby height virtualisation. Will that enable me play Atmos in a 5.1 setup? Are there any streaming services in U.K. that offers Atmos content?

It should, but would also negate some the other features while in use and wouldn't idealistically be as good as what you'd hear if using actual physical presence speakers.

Disney+, Netflix, Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime all include content that has Atmos. Such content is rather scarce on Amazon though. It should also be noted that you'd need a Netflix Premium subscription to enable you access Atmos if and when available via the Netflix service..

Last edited:
I have enabled Dolby height virtualisation. Will that enable me play Atmos in a 5.1 setup? Are there any streaming services in U.K. that offers Atmos content?
Hi

How did you enable Dolby Height Virtualisation?

Thanks in Advance

Barry :)

Hi

How did you enable Dolby Height Virtualisation?

Thanks in Advance

Again, look at the manual:

by default 2021-10-23 at 00.36.10.png

Again, look at the manual:

View attachment 1590414
Hi

It was already turned on, I don't remember turning it on.

I hate reading manuals, I struggle with reading pages upon pages. I don't have a long enough attention span lol.

I even hate reading long posts on here. for the same reasons. Sorry :-(

Thanks

I have a pair of Dali Oberon 9 speakers (4ohm) attached to my RX A2A.

The main problem is that although in the web interface there volume setting of -40db (both on general tab, and on Scene tab (all 8 settings)), when I switch from one scene to another Receiver keeps sane volume which occasionally result with the boom from the loud source after listening to the quite one,

Also I tried to change on web interface on the "Speaker" tab size from the small to large and impedance from 8 to 6 but there were no noticeable/measurable difference in sound quality or sound loudness

I have a pair of Dali Oberon 9 speakers (4ohm) attached to my RX A2A.

The main problem is that although in the web interface there volume setting of -40db (both on general tab, and on Scene tab (all 8 settings)), when I switch from one scene to another Receiver keeps sane volume which occasionally result with the boom from the loud source after listening to the quite one,

Also I tried to change on web interface on the "Speaker" tab size from the small to large and impedance from 8 to 6 but there were no noticeable/measurable difference in sound quality or sound loudness

You'd be advised to not set the impedance lower than the default 8ohm setting regardless of the rated nominal impedance of the speakers you are driving. All you are doing is reducing the rail voltage and starving the speakers of power. For a more indepth explanation then see here:

It would also be advised that you not designate speakers as being LARGE regardless of their physical size or indeed their rated capabilities. Here's another article you may want to consult:

You'd be advised to not set the impedance lower than the default 8ohm setting regardless of the rated nominal impedance of the speakers you are driving. All you are doing is reducing the rail voltage and starving the speakers of power. For a more indepth explanation then see here:

It would also be advised that you not designate speakers as being LARGE regardless of their physical size or indeed their rated capabilities. Here's another article you may want to consult:

tnx

Just a side question. My speakers are also 5.1+1 Zone & I am having trouble using the zone 2 speakers to play something different from the main zone.
Is it best to use the 5.2+ 1 zone or the 7.1 +1 setting in Power Amp assign (with connection on Zone2 =sp1).
Thanks for the help.

Just a side question. My speakers are also 5.1+1 Zone & I am having trouble using the zone 2 speakers to play something different from the main zone.
Is it best to use the 5.2+ 1 zone or the 7.1 +1 setting in Power Amp assign (with connection on Zone2 =sp1).
Thanks for the help.

You can only portray 7 channels or power 7 speakers simultaneously at any one time. If the main room is using all 7 channels of amplification then the AV receiver wouldn't have the additional 2 channels of amplification needed to power the 2 speakers in the second audio zpne.

If you've a 7.1 main room setup then you'd only have a second zone if or when not using the back surrounds in the main room.

The AV receiver automatically reassigns the amplification between the back surrounds and the second zone speakers epending upon the audio format being portrayed in the main room or the processing you've invoked and applied to it.

If you've only a 6.1 setup in the main room then select the 5.1 + second zone option and not the 7.1 plus second zone option. This way should result in you losing the second zone if handling formats inclusive of more than 5.1 audio oe if using upmixing that would ordinarilly utilise back surrounds in the main room.

What actual speaker layout have you got or do you want in the main room?

There are only really 2 options that would require you to make any special amp assignments for and they are the 5.1.2 + 1 zone option and the 7.1 + 1 zone option.

Last edited:
Thanks dante01. Your advice has led me to the correct solution. I have a 5.1 set up with a separate zone with 2 speakers. I went to Speaker in Set Up & :-
1) set the Power Amp Assign to 5.1.2 +1Zone
2) set Configuration to Sub to "use", Front, Centre & Surround to "small". Surround Back to "none" & Front Presence to "none" (I had this set to small).
I then unplugged the cables for second zone speakers from ExtraSPI (FPR & FPL) & plugged them into Extra SP2 to access the second zone .
I can now access each zone separately or together in party mode,
In essence, I previously had it erroneously set up so that all 7 channels were in the one zone. Your help is very much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom