Answered Yamaha RX-A2070 or RX-A3070

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PAR, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PAR

PAR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am so close to pulling the trigger on a new AV receiver and have pretty much determined it'll be a Yamaha. I have done my best googling but I cannot for the life of me determine exactly what the difference is between the 2070 and 3070 except for 1) Price and 2) Adding external amp for 10+ channels.

Is there any other reason to get the 3070? It's such a huge bump in price (approx $500) that I just can't see needing to go that way except my gut keeps saying "get the best one!!!".

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by dante01, Feb 1, 2018 (1 points)
    See Also:
  3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,135
    Best Answer
    Both receivers have 9 channels of integral amplification, but the A2070 only has processing for 9 channels so you can't facilitate anything more than a 9 channel setup if using it. The A3070 has 11 channels of processing so you can have an 11 channel setup if you add 2 additional external channels of amplification. The A3070 also includes a higher grade DAC (ESS SABRE ES9026PRO) for its main 7 channels and balanced XLR inputs not present on the A2070. The A3070 is more powerful than the A2070, but only slighly.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  4. PAR

PAR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    #2 Best Answer
    Thank you Dante. I am not an audiophile but a gadget guy. I am going to assume I absolutely do not need the high grade DAC or the XLR inputs so I guess I can safely assume the 2070 is probably more than enough for what I need.

Thank you!

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,135

It is unlikely that you'd ordinarilly need the balanced inputs, but the DAC does apparently result in better audio performance. The receiver has also undergone special tuning by Yamaha that wasn't given to the models below it. I'd suggest you try audition the 2 models rather than coming to any conclusions about how they'll sound when compared to one another. The A3070 should sound better. but it will be a marginal difference.

6. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Assuming speakers, room and ears let you hear the difference of course :)

That said, there is only 200 quid in it at the moment - with only that difference, I would go with the 3070 if I was otherwise happy with either.

[Edit - just read the price difference for the OP in his region is considerably more].

7. dms

dms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I don't know what $500 means to you... I know it's not peanuts...but I'd go with your gut...

It's what I did when I got the 3070 without a demo!

8. PAR

PAR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks so much for the replies. I'm quite amazed at how hard this purchase is becoming. I think if I can squeeze the extra $$ I'll snag the 3070 BUT... now I'm in another quandary.

I didn't realize how deep the Yamaha's go. All of the information I have seen say that the 1070, 2070 and 3070 are all 18.5" deep. With connections being probably 1-2" on top of that we're looking at approximately 20-21" for this unit.

Now, some might say "so what!?". Well, its not just up to me as the wife is pretty interested in how this all looks as well and almost all media consoles I have seen come under 20" unless its custom made. Do any of you guys have suggestions or advice on some decent looking media consoles that fit these beasts?

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,135
    The depth of the A3070 is 474mm or 18-5/8”. The A2070 has the exact same depth.

You could just about get away with this even if the units only measures 20" in depth, but you may need to use angled inteconnectors and avoid using speaker wire termination such as banana plugs??

I'd also suggest you use a unit that is open fronted so that the receiver's dials can sit proud and do not have to be flush with the inside edge of the opening. An open back unit would be ideal and would allow you plenty of room to make connections. Maybe even consider using a modified closed back unit with an opening cut into its rear to accomodate the receiver?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  10. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Coffee table or a custom job / DIY. AV cabinet manufacturers in general get my award for the most utterly useless industry - they seem to basically only cater for an AV setup consisting of a games console and a disc player.

HiFi rack manufacturers are no better - I have yet to find one that can accommodate a similar depth amp (also Yamaha) and carry the weight of it. At least its easy to make a HiFi rack out of some side tables.

I think Yamaha need to get into the AV rack and HiFi rack business.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  11. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Try Optimum racks a bit expensive but you can pick the rods for different heights to suit.

12. dms

dms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I gave up trying to find a unit I liked and my father (who I thought would make it himself as he was extremely good with woodwork / metalwork in his time) had one made for a modest sum. To be fair although you can get them very cheap the cost of the costum job was far cheaper than anything "fancy" from a shop.

Mine was made for my old 1900 but it is deep enough for the 3070. Being custom meant it is open backed behind the receiver and has big vent holes above to let air out (and into the Blu-ray player ahem).

Any way the point being you will get exactly what you want from a good craftsman.

Oh almost forgot. Before we got that the 1900 just sat on top of our Yamaha yst 205 sub.... Yes seriously with the feet well off the sub unit it looked crazy but the kit was heavy enough not to topple.

13. TechWizard

TechWizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    not true the 2070 can do zone 2 with a external amp if you want to add outdoor speakers.. but cant do 11 channels one zone

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,135
    I never mentioned a second zone or using an additional external amp. I'm quite correct in stating that the A2070 is limited to 9 channels of processing. Regardless of however many channels of external amplification you add, the A2070 is limited to processing no more than 9 channels simyltaneously. You cannot for example facilitate a 7.1.4 configuration using an RXA2070.