Yamaha RX-A2050 stuck in pure direct

karant

Novice Member
Reaction score
My Yamaha RX-A2050 seems to be stuck on pure direct mode. Main Unit Screen is off and the blue pure direct led is on. When I push it, the AV receiver makes the click noise and the music disappears for a moment, like it's switching out of pure direct, but the blue pure direct led stays on and main unit screen off. The same if I push the button on the remote control or on mobile app. We are still watching TV and playing video games through it, so switching between input sources works just fine.

The mobile app says that the firmware is up to date (although I have doubts about this being true, but I can't get it to the firmware update mode, either, because no matter how long I keep pressing the "straight" button while turning on the AV receiver, the screen doesn't display anything and the blue pure direct shines).

Any ideas what to try? I am new to troubleshooting this device.

Last edited:
I'd start by unplugging it from the mains for a bit up 30 minutes and plug it in and see what you'll get

Ok,according to Yamaha website the latest firmware update is 2.86 from 2021-10-04 so check against that if you can.I'd download it to a usb stick from Yamaha web and try to update anyway ,worth checking

Yeah, the only problem is that I can't get the unit to go to the firmware update mode...
I called the shop that sold me this, and I'm going to take it there, see what they think.

I thought it'd go into update mode automatically...
Yep they should be able to help you with this.
Get back to us please I'm really interested what's the issue

Thought I posted on this, try a factory reset.

Steps
  1. Set the unit to stand-by first by turning it off.
  2. While holding down the Straight button, press the Power button. ...
  3. Press the Right Program Arrow button repeatedly until INIT-CANCEL comes up.
  4. Press the Straight Button repeatedly until INIT-ALL comes up.
  5. Turn the receiver off and then back on.

Thought I posted on this, try a factory reset.

Steps
  1. Set the unit to stand-by first by turning it off.
  2. While holding down the Straight button, press the Power button. ...
  3. Press the Right Program Arrow button repeatedly until INIT-CANCEL comes up.
  4. Press the Straight Button repeatedly until INIT-ALL comes up.
  5. Turn the receiver off and then back on.
Thanks for the suggestion! Problem is that when I do step 2, nothing happens, so I can't move to step 3. Nothing at all comes up in the main unit screen.

The AV receiver is now at the shop, hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

Great news
Had to google the replacement part just out of curiosity,it is not cheap ,around $500 plus labour.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom