Yamaha RX-A1070/2070/3070 Owners thread

Ah I see so basically you need a umik-1, you can't just do it with the yamaha mic, am I understanding this correctly?

If you want to measure yourself and manually set up the PEQ a little more accurately then, yes a USB based microphone with something like REW on a laptop works best. You can also download a calibration file for each Umik-1 microphone for even greater accuracy with REW. I don't think you can use the Yamaha jacked (or similar) microphones with REW.

From reading a few threads on the AVS forums, unless you have a particularly awkward room acoustically, most seem to say that YPAO already does a very good job and it is just not worth the effort to manually tune each channel unless you want to do so more accurately below 40Hz (which would only be for the sub in my case).

HB

I have now run YPAO with multiple measurements and it has made slightly smaller PEQ adjustments across the frequency range and has set the sub output 4.5dB higher than it did previously with a single measurement. All good.

It has probably been posted before in other Yamaha threads but this was a useful article for me on YPAO:

Yamaha YPAO R.S.C – Take Two

HB

The article is now outdated and the current Adventage models all EQ down to 15.6Hz compared to the 31.3Hz of the models predating the Adventage x60 models.

You can also buy an Antimode rather than spending your money on a Umik mic. This would be easier and probaby a better solution than having to manually EQ the sub bass.

Yes, true but it's also the limitation of the Yamaha microphone not the Yamaha software and because of this YPAO still only attempts to EQ the sub to ~30Hz. The automated YPAO does NOT use and EQ the 15Hz PEQ band. To EQ down further to 15Hz you need to copy the YPAO results to manual and activate 15Hz as one of the PEQ adjustable bands.

Antimode for one sub only is ~£230+ whereas a Umik-1 is around £85 including shipping. When combining a Umik-1 (or similar) with REW (free!) you can analyse and adjust all speakers in multiple systems if required to your heart's content.

HB

Yes, true but it's also the limitation of the Yamaha microphone not the Yamaha software and because of this YPAO still only attempts to EQ the sub to ~30Hz. The automated YPAO does NOT use and EQ the 15Hz PEQ band. To EQ down further to 15Hz you need to copy the YPAO results to manual and activate 15Hz as one of the PEQ adjustable bands.

Antimode for one sub only is ~£230+ whereas a Umik-1 is around £85 including shipping. When combining a Umik-1 (or similar) with REW (free!) you can analyse and adjust all speakers in multiple systems if required to your heart's content.

HB

Not according to Yamaha who say the receiver EQ's itself all the way down to 15.6Hz.

Also note that REW doesn't EQ your receiver for you. You have to firstly interpret the results shown on your computer running REW and then manually alter the EQ curves on the receiver until you stop getting the adverse REW results.

Unfortunately, this is not the case as I have seen in my own set up. 15Hz is only adjustable manually as Yamaha are honest enough to state that their bundled mic is just not accurate enough. See half way down here for confirmation.

No but REW will tell you the bands, cuts and Q values to apply. I'm not suggesting people do it and am in fact saying the opposite. YPAO already does a very good job. However, if I were to start doing my own measurements and adjustments then the Umik-1/REW is a much more comprehensive solution than Antimode.

HB

Unfortunately, this is not the case as I have seen in my own set up. 15Hz is only adjustable manually as Yamaha are honest enough to state that their bundled mic is just not accurate enough. See half way down here for confirmation.

No but REW will tell you the bands, cuts and Q values to apply. I'm not suggesting people do it and am in fact saying the opposite. YPAO already does a very good job. However, if I were to start doing my own measurements and adjustments then the Umik-1/REW is a much more comprehensive solution than Antimode.

HB

Thanks.

I think a lot of the rhetoric against PEQ is due to Audyssey continually criticising parametric EQ systems due to the fact that Audyssey MultEQ is not a parametric system. It has to be remembersd that Yamaha have actually been messing with audio for longer than either Audyssey or THX. If it were not for Yamaha's help then Dolby wouldn't have been able to develop Dolby Surround (the original one and not the current upmixing). I think one major advantage YPAO has over Audyssey is the fact it doesn't downsample the audio and can portray digital audio with HD sample rates.

I've had both Denon and Yamaha receivers and cannot say that Audyssey resulted in anything better than I've had from YPAO.

Yes, sounds like marketing BS/rhetoric to me!!

I'm sure both have their merits but in my room YPAO produces superior results than with Audyssey and this is especially noticeable with music.

HB

Hi all
Is anyone using Musiccast via their xx70 AVR for Tidal successfully and does it, for the HiFi setting, play albums without gaps or pauses between the tracks?
Trying to decide between the Yammy 60 or 70 series or the Denon 4300/6300 and Tidal HiFi is my main source for music alongside ripped CDs on my NAS.
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Is it worthwhile to upgrade my current v681 to a1070?? has anyone got experience on both to provide some opinions? o_O Thank you.

Thanks.

I think a lot of the rhetoric against PEQ is due to Audyssey continually criticising parametric EQ systems due to the fact that Audyssey MultEQ is not a parametric system. It has to be remembersd that Yamaha have actually been messing with audio for longer than either Audyssey or THX. If it were not for Yamaha's help then Dolby wouldn't have been able to develop Dolby Surround (the original one and not the current upmixing). I think one major advantage YPAO has over Audyssey is the fact it doesn't downsample the audio and can portray digital audio with HD sample rates.

I've had both Denon and Yamaha receivers and cannot say that Audyssey resulted in anything better than I've had from YPAO.
Hi dante01, I am a new member and will be purchasing a new RX-A3070 next week. I have read the manual from top to bottom and inside out as well. You seem to be in the know and I need a bit of advise. I have a Velodyne Sub SPL 1200 which has it's own room correction and sets it's own EQ as such. Before doing YPAO should I select 'no' sub assign and do the YPAO for the 3070 and then do the room calibration with the Velodyne and then select 'yes' on the 3070 sub assign ?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Regards Paul.

Hi dante01, I am a new member and will be purchasing a new RX-A3070 next week. I have read the manual from top to bottom and inside out as well. You seem to be in the know and I need a bit of advise. I have a Velodyne Sub SPL 1200 which has it's own room correction and sets it's own EQ as such. Before doing YPAO should I select 'no' sub assign and do the YPAO for the 3070 and then do the room calibration with the Velodyne and then select 'yes' on the 3070 sub assign ?
Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Regards Paul.

It is unfortunately a matter of subjectives. You are going to have to judge for yourself which of the following gives you the best results

1. Run the sub's inbuilt room EQ correction prior to running the receivers.

2. Run the sub's EQcorrection after running the receiver's.

3. Diaable the sub's own EQ correction in favour of the receiver's

In theory the better sub correction should win out and result in the best sounding setup. Audyssey always suggest you run the sub's own correction first and then run Audyssey's correction, but they are biased and will always sugest that Audyssey is superior to any other form of room EQ correction or filtering.

Yamaha's PEQ has a poor rep though in relation to sub bass so I've a feeling that the sub's own filtering will win out so I'd favour running that post running the receiver's YPAO calibration.

I have the A3070 and while ypao works well, it doesn't for the sub.
My new Svs SB2000 while working, doesn't perform to the best of its abilities (very quiet). I read similar comments last year in the 3060 thread.
I'm going to have to tinker with the P EQ as changing the crossover to 80 and all speakers to small hasn't made too much difference.
Thankfully my l/r provide decent bass, but I want to hear the Svs sing !

I have the A3070 and while ypao works well, it doesn't for the sub.
My new Svs SB2000 while working, doesn't perform to the best of its abilities (very quiet). I read similar comments last year in the 3060 thread.
I'm going to have to tinker with the P EQ as changing the crossover to 80 and all speakers to small hasn't made too much difference.
Thankfully my l/r provide decent bass, but I want to hear the Svs sing !

Maybe look into using an Antimode? This isn't guranteed to result in better EQ cirrection than the sub's own built in correction though, but the Antimode has a good reputation and is well regarded.

Maybe look into using an Antimode? This isn't guranteed to result in better EQ cirrection than the sub's own built in correction though, but the Antimode has a good reputation and is well regarded.

Thanks, I'll look into this!

Will have to do more tinkering.
I used a level meter (forgot I had one) and adjusted (so put the amp to 0db and test tone) adjusted level to get a reading of 75 on the meter and it certainly sounds louder/clearer. The sub - didn't want to adjust level up to 10, so moved sub volume (physical volume knob in sub)from 10 o'clock to 1 o'clock with gain 8, still not reaching 75 on meter but about 67 and the room was vibrating.
So back on normal content and the sub is certainly kicking in now but centre is a bit to lively.
I'll go back to ypao setting and compare - I'm sure there's a way to copy the ypao reading to overwrite the manual adjustment.
Don't know if it's because I'm used to the ypao setup that the manual meter setup sounds too... unbalanced, the l/r have gone from dominating with centre on par and quiet sub to centre and sub dominating and the l/r not really getting a look in.
Can't imagine what the SB2000 must be like on full volume, it's a beast!!

It is unfortunately a matter of subjectives. You are going to have to judge for yourself which of the following gives you the best results

1. Run the sub's inbuilt room EQ correction prior to running the receivers.

2. Run the sub's EQcorrection after running the receiver's.

3. Diaable the sub's own EQ correction in favour of the receiver's

In theory the better sub correction should win out and result in the best sounding setup. Audyssey always suggest you run the sub's own correction first and then run Audyssey's correction, but they are biased and will always sugest that Audyssey is superior to any other form of room EQ correction or filtering.

Yamaha's PEQ has a poor rep though in relation to sub bass so I've a feeling that the sub's own filtering will win out so I'd favour running that post running the receiver's YPAO calibration.
Thanks dante01 I will get back to you next week with the results.

Paul

I used a level meter (forgot I had one) and adjusted (so put the amp to 0db and test tone) adjusted level to get a reading of 75 on the meter and it certainly sounds louder/clearer. The sub - didn't want to adjust level up to 10, so moved sub volume (physical volume knob in sub)from 10 o'clock to 1 o'clock with gain 8, still not reaching 75 on meter but about 67 and the room was vibrating.
So back on normal content and the sub is certainly kicking in now but centre is a bit to lively.
I'll go back to ypao setting and compare - I'm sure there's a way to copy the ypao reading to overwrite the manual adjustment.
Don't know if it's because I'm used to the ypao setup that the manual meter setup sounds too... unbalanced, the l/r have gone from dominating with centre on par and quiet sub to centre and sub dominating and the l/r not really getting a look in.

You are very unlikely to be able to accurately measure the SPL of the frequencies ordinarilly output via a sub. AV receivers use other factors alongside an SPL measurement to determine where to set a subwoofers output level. The best you can do without having access to pro grade measurement tools is to adjust the passive speakers and then adjust the sub by the same degree. If you used an SPL meter to set the sub's level then chances are that level is incorrect.

THe mic that comes with Yamaha receivers is well regarded and fairs well even when compared to a umik pro grade USB mic. It is doubtful that using an SPL meter to manually calibrate the levels will result in anything better than what you got when using the receiver's own mic and YPAO calibration?

You are very unlikely to be able to accurately measure the SPL of the frequencies ordinarilly output via a sub. AV receivers use other factors alongside an SPL measurement to determine where to set a subwoofers output level. The best you can do without having access to pro grade measurement tools is to adjust the passive speakers and then adjust the sub by the same degree. If you used an SPL meter to set the sub's level then chances are that level is incorrect.

THe mic that comes with Yamaha receivers is well regarded and fairs well even when compared to a umik pro grade USB mic. It is doubtful that using an SPL meter to manually calibrate the levels will result in anything better than what you got when using the receiver's own mic and YPAO calibration?

Yeah, it does sound off.
It's weird the Yamaha tends to keep the subs quiet compared to other manufacturers.
I haven't played with the sub trim/extra bass yet, there's a lot to take in!

I get lost on this subject of the correct level of db at 0-0db. Way back someone said that with yamaha receivers 0-0db at main volume on receiver should be about 85db and on Denon receivers 0-0db about 75 db.which is correct.

I get lost on this subject of the correct level of db at 0-0db. Way back someone said that with yamaha receivers 0-0db at main volume on receiver should be about 85db and on Denon receivers 0-0db about 75 db.which is correct.

Mine are out a bit according to my meter, of course, it's probably the meter that's out as I can't recall it costing too much :)

Mine are at 79 f/l . 79f/r . Centre 80/81.

I'd turn the gain up on the sub a bit more if you can so that the Yamaha has a bit more room for auto gain adjustment and run YAPO again.

Have you run YAPO from multiple points? When I first got mine I ran it from one spot only and it set the sub 4.5dB lower than when later run with multiple points. Once you've done the auto set up over multiple points (including angles) you can tinker with the levels, delays, X-overs etc. via the manual set up.

All of my levels and delays (shown as distance) were spot on. The sub correctly showed a bigger delay (distance) as it has additional amplification/processing going on. The only thing I changed was the X-overs to 80Hz for the fronts (from 40Hz) and to 100Hz for the surrounds (from 80Hz). You can copy the YAPO settings and play with the PEQ manually but YAPO natural sounds good.

When I've got some spare time I'm going to measure what YAPO has achieved using REW/UMIK-1 and also fine tune the sub PEQ below 31Hz. For now though I'm more than happy.

HB

I was similar to you headbanger,my sub came out at -4 with ypao , went into sub trim and raised it 3db,
The only thing it did in peq it give me a measurement of frequency 250.0hz Q 0.500 gain +3.0db. I am using a antimode.

Last edited:
I'd turn the gain up on the sub a bit more if you can so that the Yamaha has a bit more room for auto gain adjustment and run YAPO again.

Have you run YAPO from multiple points? When I first got mine I ran it from one spot only and it set the sub 4.5dB lower than when later run with multiple points. Once you've done the auto set up over multiple points (including angles) you can tinker with the levels, delays, X-overs etc. via the manual set up.

All of my levels and delays (shown as distance) were spot on. The sub correctly showed a bigger delay (distance) as it has additional amplification/processing going on. The only thing I changed was the X-overs to 80Hz for the fronts (from 40Hz) and to 100Hz for the surrounds (from 80Hz). You can copy the YAPO settings and play with the PEQ manually but YAPO natural sounds good.

When I've got some spare time I'm going to measure what YAPO has achieved using REW/UMIK-1 and also fine tune the sub PEQ below 31Hz. For now though I'm more than happy.

HB

I ran a YPAO multipoint (just 2 positions as it's mainly the better half and I).

Looking at the results the speaker size is large (I have always been told to set to small).

Distance like yourself - bang on bar the sub (it's out is 1m further away than what it is) but as you say, due to additional processing ?

Levels - more or less all 0dB bar centre is +1

I only have a 5.1 setup, so didn't measure height/angle - should I ?
I thought that was only for presence speakers (I do plan to go 5.1.4 or if I save the pennies an additional sub if I can get this one to sing).

So I've taken this and went into manual and then changed to small and changed crossover, also increased the sub gain to +8bB from 0.

How do you know what your crossover was?
When you first go in is this it? If that's the case after changing to small mine are 40Hz and surrounds 60Hz, I've changed all to 80Hz.

Parametric EQ - to be honest, not really sure what I'm doing here, is the idea to get a flatter line so less peaks/troughs ? And is a + gain always better than a negative or is it the smoothest and +/- doesn't matter.
When it comes to this fine tuning the sub is flat anyway.

So with all this in mind, my sub only has physical knobs for volume, phase and crossover which is set to LFE.
Volume is set to 10 o'clock before running YPAO.

I'll try setting the front L/R to 100HZ, that will prob do the job passing over to Sub, it's just odd YPAO doesn't do this.

When you say you can copy the YPAO settings, I can go into auto setup and reapply last setup - setup reload
Then go to manual and work away, so manual will be what YPAO has recorded, I don't have to copy anything over?

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom