Yamaha RX-A1070/2070/3070 Owners thread

iainalpine

Standard Member
Have recently purchased the 3070 and couldn't find an owners thread so thought best to start this one.
Unit is still boxed as I'm carrying out a pretty full on build. The toys are certainly coming together.
IMG_1642.jpg

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I'll add comments in a few weeks.
Painting room next week and will then put my new E7 on the wall to allow the 3070 to sit on top or the table (the tv is currently positioned there).
Will be connecting my new Kef R series 5.1 setup with the Svs SB2000 so expecting to hear some good things.
I sold my old RX-V2067 a few months back when moving house and do miss it.
The E7 audio is very good but you can't beat a dedicated 5.1 setup.
I have bought banana plugs (never used before), I'm hoping the 3070's plugs pull out (in manual mentions Many regions but the UK, Hopefully not the case...).

Attachments

Last edited:

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Have recently purchased the 3070 and couldn't find an owners thread so thought best to start this one.
Unit is still boxed as I'm carrying out a pretty full on build. The toys are certainly coming together.
View attachment 898120
Very nice kit.
Seriously thinking about upgrading my Yamaha to a 3070. Might save a few pennies and go for the 2070 though. I probably wont miss too much unless anyone can think of a really good reason to go for the top of the line?

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Very nice kit.
Seriously thinking about upgrading my Yamaha to a 3070. Might save a few pennies and go for the 2070 though. I probably wont miss too much unless anyone can think of a really good reason to go for the top of the line?
Unless you need XLR balanced audio, not sure if you will hear the difference with the 3070 having slightly more power and different Dac's.
I'm hoping you would for an additional £500:)

Tbh, I didn't demo the 2070 or 3070, but having loved the 2067 and being impressed with the 3060, I bought anyway.

The all knowledgeable @dante01 may have heard the 2060 v 3060 and might have an opinion, I'll maybe be needing his help once I get her setup !

dante01

Distinguished Member
I've not heard comparisons between the 2060 and the 3060.

The RXA2070 is a better deal though if not wanting a full 7.1.4 setup. Both it and the RXA1070 have been given the ability to apply Yamaha's proprietary DSP to Atmos or DTS:X soundtracks. This ability was only previously available to the Flagship RXA3050 and then the 3060. All three higher tier Adventage models now include this ability so there's less incentive to buy the flagship models to attain this.

HeadBanger

I received my 3070 on Monday and set it up quickly for a play. Build quality is superb and it looks lovely in the flesh.

Initial impressions are very good with both movies and music. I'm running 2/4/.1 (no Atmos) into some MA GX200s and SF3s for the surrounds and an Arendal Sub 1 plus zone 2 speakers in the bathroom.

The set up GUI menu is horrible compared to Denon (I had the 7200 previously) and it took me a long time to set it up and (gasp!) had to refer to the online manual a few times as I did not find the menu intuitive at all.

YPAO seems to work well and to my ears lacks the artificial sound that Audyssey always introduced - especially with music. I quickly settled on YPAO natural and upped the SW trim 3dB as it sounded a little to lean for my liking (may have been the result of mic placement - I only did one spot and the angles so that I had time to play a bit). I know it seems a bit of a cliché but I could certainly hear subtle things in mixes that I hadn't noticed before. The 3070 is very revealing without sounding harsh at all - it has an effortless open sound with plenty of power on tap.

I'll spend a bit more time with it over the weekend and set it up more comprehensively using multiple mic measurements and report back next week.

OP - suggest you change title to include the other Aventage AVRs (1070 and 2070) as they all share many common features from what I can see.

HB

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Yeah the GUI has been needing an update for years, AVF point that out every year. It had a HD polish a few years ago but hasn't changed from what I can see in a long time.
The good news is for those who are used to it and upgrading - feels like home :)
Phone apps are usually quite good.

casjen

Now have the 1070 but only just turned it on to use system... no adjustments yet. There is no dimmer so what Yamaha model do I need to add that command into my harmony.

Also whilst having a quick fiddle with the sound types I set to DD Dsur on sky but it keeps flashing between that and a NEO option.. Change to some others and they flash between one and another. The only way to stop the info changing was to set it to surr.code but I would like when it says SKY HD for instance to say DD surr. Tried some more button pressing and now things like SciFi/adventurer flashing between two sets of info.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Now have the 1070 but only just turned it on to use system... no adjustments yet. There is no dimmer so what Yamaha model do I need to add that command into my harmony.

Also whilst having a quick fiddle with the sound types I set to DD Dsur on sky but it keeps flashing between that and a NEO option.. Change to some others and they flash between one and another. The only way to stop the info changing was to set it to surr.code but I would like when it says SKY HD for instance to say DD surr. Tried some more button pressing and now things like SciFi/adventurer flashing between two sets of info.
None of the legacy Yamaha models have a discrete IR command for dimming the front panel display. You can only adjust the display via the receiver's settings.

You've more than likely set the SURROUND DECODER mode to Neural:X and the incoming signal is Dolby Digital. The receiver doesn't alternate between Neural:X and Dolby Surround Upmixing and only one of the two can be used at any one time. The display is indicating that you are applying Neural:X upmixing to the Dolby Digital audio coming into the receiver. To change the mode being used then use the SUR. DECODE button to select one.

The Sci-Fi and Adventure on the display are an indication of DSP modes you've engaged. The front pannel display can show various aspects of the receiver's activity depending on whicjh display mode you set it to. You can toggle between these using the INFO button on the remote. The button can be used to toggle the display between the AUDIO DECODER mode being used and the DSP PROGRAM that may be engaged. If you select the AUDIO DECODER option then both the incoming signal type as well as the SURROUND DECODER mode you are applying to it will be displayed. THe display will alternate between the type of incoming audio and the mode the receiver is set to if you select the AUDIO DECODER option.

Last edited:

casjen

None of the legacy Yamaha models have a discrete IR command for dimming the front panel display. You can only adjust the display via the receiver's settings.

You've more than likely set the SURROUND DECODER mode to Neural:X and the incoming signal is Dolby Digital. The receiver doesn't alternate between Neural:X and Dolby Surround Upmixing and only one of the two can be used at any one time. The display is indicating that you are applying Neural:X upmixing to the Dolby Digital audio coming into the receiver. To change the mode being used then use the SUR. DECODE button to select one.

The Sci-Fi and Adventure on the display are an indication of DSP modes you've engaged. The front pannel display can show various aspects of the receiver's activity depending on whicjh display mode you set it to. You can toggle between these using the INFO button on the remote. The button can be used to toggle the display between the AUDIO DECODER mode being used and the DSP PROGRAM that may be engaged. If you select the AUDIO DECODER option then both the incoming signal type as well as the SURROUND DECODER mode you are applying to it will be displayed. THe display will alternate between the type of incoming audio and the mode the receiver is set to if you select the AUDIO DECODER option.
Thanks for the response... cant believe the dimmer is in the menu but have sussed an activity for my harmony which takes me straight there. As for your other help, I will take it all in and have a proper play when I set it up over the weekend :)

casjen

Had a bit more of a play and why Yamaha think that you would want your display flashing at you in the dark is beyond me. Why if you change the input from bitstream/dolby digital to PCM does it flash between PCM and Dsurr once and then stay on Dsurr where as if the signal coming in is DD it continues to flash between the 2. If the idea is to purely inform you the incoming and outgoing then why do the alternating for one type only.

HeadBanger

Had a bit more of a play and why Yamaha think that you would want your display flashing at you in the dark is beyond me.
Yes, agree. An additional option to turn the display off would be nice too. Are far as I can tell only selecting pure direct will turn the display off but all room correction then also gets turned off too. Another annoyance is that the lip sync GUI takes up half the screen so you can't see the picture properly whilst adjusting it!!

Menu quirks aside the SQ is very, very good and I'm really enjoying music today with my 3070. It sounds clear, focused punchy and well, just really enjoyable!

Another positive is having to physically select the AirPlay input before it will play and you can also play it on other zones. With my previous Denon and Marantz before that, selecting Airplay on any iThingy would instantly switch on Airplay in Zone 1 - very annoying. This may be the norm for Yamaha but it is a very welcome change for me as my daughter often selects the lounge on her iPhone by mistake!

HB

dante01

Distinguished Member
Had a bit more of a play and why Yamaha think that you would want your display flashing at you in the dark is beyond me. Why if you change the input from bitstream/dolby digital to PCM does it flash between PCM and Dsurr once and then stay on Dsurr where as if the signal coming in is DD it continues to flash between the 2. If the idea is to purely inform you the incoming and outgoing then why do the alternating for one type only.
The display would alternate between the source format and the surround decoder mode being applied irrespective of what that incoming format is. Why would the receiver not inform you of these two seperate things if receiving PCM?

Toggle the display to the DSP PROGRAM option using the INFO button and the display remains static. Only the DSP PROGRAM is shown in this display mode or only the mode the receiver is set to if not using a DSP PROGRAM. Only the AUDIO DECODER display mode alternates the display between the incoming format and the mode.

Last edited:

casjen

The display would alternate between the source format and the surround decoder mode being applied irrespective of what that incoming format is. Why would the receiver not inform you of these two seperate things if receiving PCM?

Toggle the display to the DSP PROGRAM option using the INFO button and the display remains static. Only the DSP PROGRAM is shown in this display mode or only the mode the receiver is set to if not using a DSP PROGRAM. Only the AUDIO DECODER display mode alternates the display between the incoming format and the mode.
SKY HD outputting DD ...audio decoder set to auto...... it alternates DD/ Dsur. Without touching anything on the receiver, go into sky settings and change to normal. After a couple of secs the receiver says PCM then Dsur then stays on Dsur. .. no alternating.

You are saying it makes no difference what the input is , it should still alternate... so im confused

dante01

Distinguished Member
SKY HD outputting DD ...audio decoder set to auto...... it alternates DD/ Dsur. Without touching anything on the receiver, go into sky settings and change to normal. After a couple of secs the receiver says PCM then Dsur then stays on Dsur. .. no alternating.

You are saying it makes no difference what the input is , it should still alternate... so im confused
Press the surround decoder button and set the receiver to DOLBY SURROUND. Now rell me it isn't alternating between PCM and DOLBY SURROUND. It will alternate irrespective of what the source format is unless the format is one which bypasses the mode that is engaged for that source. One example would be if streaming Atmos TrueHD to the receiver while the DOLBY SURROUND mode is engaged. Atmos negates the need for DOLBY SURROUND so it isn't applied to the Atmos audio so wouldn't appear on the display. THe surrond decoder modes are as applicable to PCM audio as they are to other formats so why wouldn't PCM exhibit the exact same behaviour from the display as seen if dealing with other formats?

Simply press INFO and set the display to DSP PROGRAM in order to stop the display alternating between the incoming format and the Surround Decoder mode associated with that source.

casjen

Its not alternating PCM and dsur... Ive made a video buts its come out at 295 mb . prob to large to upload here.. will try and shrink the size

dante01

Distinguished Member
It will because that is what the SURROUND DECODER option is supposed to indicate. THe only time the receiver will not alternate the display between the incoming format and the mode being applied while the dis[lay option is set to SURROUND DECODER is if the receiver is set to STRAIGHT or the mode in question isn't applicable. THe new models are no different to my RXA1050 in this respect. Besides which, how is restricting a devices output to 2 channel PCM a viable solution? What if you want 5.1 Dolby Digital from the SKY box?

If you are not seeing the display alternate when set to its SURROUND DECODER option and if only seeing PCM displayed then no SURROUND DECODER mode is being applied to the PCM audio. You are listening to stereo PCM with no upmixing being applied to it.

Last edited:

casjen

Its nothing to do with listening to PCM its about how the display handles the different inputs it. The video shows exactly what's happening as I change the sky ouput. The straight button hasn't even been pressed. Got the size down to 24mbs but still to large. The surround decoder is set to both dsurr and auto in my tests.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Its nothing to do with listening to PCM its about how the display handles the different inputs it. The video shows exactly what's happening as I change the sky ouput. The straight button hasn't even been pressed. Got the size down to 24mbs but still to large. The surround decoder is set to both dsurr and auto in my tests.

I know exactly how the receiver functions relative to its display without you having to post a video. It acts exactly as my RXA1050 and my RXV2065 act and this is exactly as I've already outlined. THe clue is in the front panel display mode's own name. SURROUND DECODER indicates which if any SURROUND DECODER mode is engaged. If no mode is displayed then no mode is active so output PCM to the receiver doesn't let you apply a surround decoder mode to it without that mode also being displayed on the receiver along with the incoming audio format it is being applied to. The only way to negate this is to change the display mode from the SURROUND DECODER mode to the DSP PROGRAM display using the INFO button. The DSP PROGRAM display doesn't alternate as is the case whith the SURROUND DECODER mode.

If only getting PCM displayed when the display is set to SURROUND DECODER then you are not applying any SURROUND DECODER modes to that audio. IN effect, this is the same as engaging STRAIGHT mode so you'd be playing just 2 channel PCM with no surround decoder processing id only PCM was displayed while the receiver's display was set to SURROUND DECODER.

All that your video would indicate is that you are not applying any SURROUND DECODER processing to the incoming PCM audio.

Last edited:

casjen

Im not just getting PCM displayed ...it appears once then shows Dsurr. If you use DD it appears once then dsurr then starts alternating. My comment is the fact that one input alternates and the other doesn't.... regardless of surround decoder The video shows this happening ... Theres no point you repeating the same thing over and over again it doesn't explain why this has to happen. Why continuously tell you DD in Dsurr out but only tell you once that PCM in Dsurr out and If its not applied dsurr out as you say then why say it on the screen. If I see dsurr on the display it would make me assume that it had been applied.

Anyway I know im right in what im seeing so its pointless carrying on this discussion . You think differently and that's your prerogative

dante01

Distinguished Member
Im not just getting PCM displayed ...it appears once then shows Dsurr. If you use DD it appears once then dsurr then starts alternating. My comment is the fact that one input alternates and the other doesn't.... regardless of surround decoder The video shows this happening ... Theres no point you repeating the same thing over and over again it doesn't explain why this has to happen. Why continuously tell you DD in Dsurr out but only tell you once that PCM in Dsurr out and If its not applied dsurr out as you say then why say it on the screen. If I see dsurr on the display it would make me assume that it had been applied.

Anyway I know im right in what im seeing so its pointless carrying on this discussion . You think differently and that's your prerogative

It doesn't alternate because PCM doesn't require decoding. THe signal is being decoded by the source and the PCM data is the result of this. Dolby Digital requires the receiver to perform SURROUND DECODING on the format while PCM is effectively pure audio data that can be sent directly to the DAC without ant intervention by the receiver.

AS said though, this isn't a solution to the issue, not unless you only ever want to input PCM into the receiver as opposed to any other audio format?

The only way to ensure the display doesn't alternate irrespective of what the incoming audio format is is to set the display to the DSP PROGRAM option. THis option remains static and will not alternate.

HeadBanger

I have now run YPAO with multiple measurements and it has made slightly smaller PEQ adjustments across the frequency range and has set the sub output 4.5dB higher than it did previously with a single measurement. All good.

It has probably been posted before in other Yamaha threads but this was a useful article for me on YPAO:

Yamaha YPAO R.S.C – Take Two

HB

stewjoy

Just read the article, very interesting but a bit over my head. Understood the part about transferring to manual but got lost what parts to alter in manual.

HeadBanger

Basically it says that YPAO does a very good job down to 40Hz or so and provides a good correction from there upwards within +/- 2dB.

They suggest that if you want to measure using REW/Umik-1 (or similar) and manually set PEQ then copy the results and set all speaker PEQ adjustments to zero before running measurements. This has the benefit of keeping all of the YPAO phase/time adjustments.

HB

stewjoy

Ah I see so basically you need a umik-1, you can't just do it with the yamaha mic, am I understanding this correctly?

HeadBanger

If you want to measure yourself and manually set up the PEQ a little more accurately then, yes a USB based microphone with something like REW on a laptop works best. You can also download a calibration file for each Umik-1 microphone for even greater accuracy with REW. I don't think you can use the Yamaha jacked (or similar) microphones with REW.

From reading a few threads on the AVS forums, unless you have a particularly awkward room acoustically, most seem to say that YPAO already does a very good job and it is just not worth the effort to manually tune each channel unless you want to do so more accurately below 40Hz (which would only be for the sub in my case).

HB

dante01

Distinguished Member
I have now run YPAO with multiple measurements and it has made slightly smaller PEQ adjustments across the frequency range and has set the sub output 4.5dB higher than it did previously with a single measurement. All good.

It has probably been posted before in other Yamaha threads but this was a useful article for me on YPAO:

Yamaha YPAO R.S.C – Take Two

HB
The article is now outdated and the current Adventage models all EQ down to 15.6Hz compared to the 31.3Hz of the models predating the Adventage x60 models.

You can also buy an Antimode rather than spending your money on a Umik mic. This would be easier and probaby a better solution than having to manually EQ the sub bass.

HeadBanger

Yes, true but it's also the limitation of the Yamaha microphone not the Yamaha software and because of this YPAO still only attempts to EQ the sub to ~30Hz. The automated YPAO does NOT use and EQ the 15Hz PEQ band. To EQ down further to 15Hz you need to copy the YPAO results to manual and activate 15Hz as one of the PEQ adjustable bands.

Antimode for one sub only is ~£230+ whereas a Umik-1 is around £85 including shipping. When combining a Umik-1 (or similar) with REW (free!) you can analyse and adjust all speakers in multiple systems if required to your heart's content.

HB

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, true but it's also the limitation of the Yamaha microphone not the Yamaha software and because of this YPAO still only attempts to EQ the sub to ~30Hz. The automated YPAO does NOT use and EQ the 15Hz PEQ band. To EQ down further to 15Hz you need to copy the YPAO results to manual and activate 15Hz as one of the PEQ adjustable bands.

Antimode for one sub only is ~£230+ whereas a Umik-1 is around £85 including shipping. When combining a Umik-1 (or similar) with REW (free!) you can analyse and adjust all speakers in multiple systems if required to your heart's content.

HB
Not according to Yamaha who say the receiver EQ's itself all the way down to 15.6Hz.

Also note that REW doesn't EQ your receiver for you. You have to firstly interpret the results shown on your computer running REW and then manually alter the EQ curves on the receiver until you stop getting the adverse REW results.