Yamaha RX-A1040 AV Receiver Review

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 29, 2015.

Tags:

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,335
    2. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +341
    3. MarkHell

MarkHell

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +430
      Oh bugger. When I saw this review I thought it was the new model... Which I am waiting for. Not the one which is about to be discontinued.
      The big BUT it's this machine in my option is not the lack of atmos but
      No hdcp2.2
      You migh not want it right now.... But come Christmas it will be a different story.

4. HMHB

HMHB
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,439
      Sorry to be dumb, but what does the lack of hdcp2.2 mean? Will it limit what devices can be connected to this amp?

5. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,760
      @HMHB it means you won't be able to connect a 4K blu-ray player when they are released later this year, (well you can connect but it won't work).

6. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +341
      So, is that all it is ? You can still use a blu-Ray player am I going to get rid of my oppo 103d just to buy a 2.2 player

7. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      HDCP 2.2 will be utilised to protect any UHD encoded conent in the future so it may effect other devices and not just UHD BD players? It is also not just the HDCP 2.2 compliance you are buying into HDMI version 2.0a for, but also the full compliance with the UHD Blu-ray video specs.

You do not need HDCP 2.2 in order to pass through non UHD encoded content. You will need it if wanting to passthrough UHD encoded content such as that associated with UHD Blu-ray players and maybe future 4K cable and or Sat STBs?

Your current OPPO 103 isn't a UHD player and wont play UHD discs.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    8. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +341
      Yes, I know that plus I thought this sight was a review of the rx-a1040 not a discussion about hdcp 2-2 or am I missing something.

9. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      I think you are missing the fact that this receiver is effectively discontinued and about to be replaced by the RXA1050, which will be HDCP 2.2 compliant and will include an HDMI version 2.0a interface. The question was raised as to what the benefits of having HDMI version 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 would be. I think it would have been wrong not to have pointed out that the older receiver lacked certain capabilities that its replacement will have.

Just because you don't have a need or desire for the new capabilities isn't to say other people shouldn't be informed of them, especially given the increased sales of UHD TVs and their falling prices making this important to many who are considering a new AV receiver.

10. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +341
      Yes I appreciate what you are saying, I have a rx-a1040 and I wish I had known that all this new format was coming. I bought mine last year, but if you cannot accommodate all the speakers for atmos wouldn't it still be ok to own one.

11. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      Just because a receiver includes Atmos and or DTS:X isn't to say you have to use it and I see no harm in having the option to add a pair of Atmos speakers if someone should want to try it even though a 9 channel receiver would be a better option for anyone wanting to get the most from Atmos. It may not even be possible for some to accommodate a 7.1.2 setup so a higher quality 7.1 receiver with the option of 5.1.2 Atmos may be appealing to them?

As far as I can tell, the inclusion of Atmos and DTS:X doesn't appear to have increased the prices associated with receivers? Some of Denon's and Marantz's receivers even appear to be cheaper than the models they replace that lack the required processing. Higher tier products will include the Atmos and DTS:X capabilities whether you want them or not, but you don't have to utilise them, it isn;t costing you more and you'll probably have to buy a receiver with the processing capabilities included if you want a higher tier receiver.

12. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +341
      I am not arguing against that, but this site was a review of the rx-a1040, but no one seems to discuss this. It's all about new amps that aren't even here yet.

13. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      I think the reason being is that the review came along just as the new models are about to be released? It isn't as though the review was wriiten when the RXA1040 was first introduced and it has only just been submitted to AVForums for review as it is about to be discontinued. There's nothing stopping anyone discussing the RXA1040, but you can't force them to if they have nothing to say or if other factors appear to be more important to them. You yourself do not appear to be saying very much about it even though you own one, what exactly do you expect anyone else to say about it? Even the review makes mention of the new models and the capabilities they will include lacking from the RXA1040.

I'll say this, it is a good deal if you don't want HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2 compliance or DTS:X, but then again so is the Marantz SR7009 which you can get for less than the RXA1040 and the Marantz is a 9.1 receiver with 11 channel processing.

14. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,335
      Guys, the point of the review at this stage was to highlight the fact it was being discontinued and replaced, but if Atmos and UHD BD are not that important to you, it is also a bargain for the quality and features on offer. It is made clear that is the case in the review and apologies if that is still causing confusion.

15. stewjoy

stewjoy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +341
      I did further up the line but got no feed back. And I agree with you if I had known all this format was coming last year I woul d have held off purchasing it but that's my fault lesson learnt, but also then what's the point of AV forums doing a review so late in the day.

16. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      They can only review what the manufacturer give them to review. I'd imagine the board had requested review models closer to when the receiver was initially announced, but Yamaha didn't let them have one until now?

17. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +226
      Yes its a older amp and does not have some of the current features as mentioned above, however it sounds extremely good fot what it costs.

Dante is right some Manufactures do not send out test products until really late, however my only gripe is that Avforums reviewers received this amp back in early April so it has taken over 3 months from receiving to the actual review. I know some equipment will need running in etc but this IMO has taken far too long.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    18. Ce2700

Ce2700
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the detailed review. This was one of the main sources that gave weight to my purchase Based on your review and what I heard in the listening room of sound advice made this purchase an easy decision

I think bang for the buck this receiver Is hard to beat.I sounds really good with my Monitor audio bronze BX speakers. I use these for probably 50% music 30% TV and the rest on movies. I've been extremely impressed with the setup in each of my listening requirements

Also video playback is pretty amazing way better picture then my old pioneer had. I couldn't be happier and I got a steal at 950.00 out the door..

Thanks again for the review. I fugue by the time I'm ready for a 4k TV (probably 3 years) I'll be about ready for a new AV receiver so the lack of 2.2 doesn't really bother me.

19. AVUSERANON

AVUSERANON
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      ...I too had same question a couple of months back... Do I wait for 1050 or go with 1040 to feed my new Monitor Audio Silver 6 speakers.

Whilst new playback hardware (hdcp2.2) may be released later this year, it's going to take a reasonable amount of time for a significant amount of compliant content to hit retailers shelves and even longer if your talking streamed/broadcast content.

20. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249
      It is actuallly the opposite and you can already get streamed and broadcast UHD content that requires HDCP 2.2 compliance. It is only the fact that you gain access to such content via the TV itself that negates the need for an AV receiver to be HDCP 2.2 compliant because the video signal doesn't need to passthrough the receiver. THe new BT UHD box however will need HDCP 2.2 compliance if you wish to watch UHD content while passing the signal through a receiver. The same will go for UHD Blu-ray players when they become available later this year. Streamed and broadcast content are already with us and it is the disc based UHD media that isn't :)

21. playhockey

playhockey
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      i have a yamaha rxa 840 demo model looking to up grade to rxa 1050 or marantz sr 5010 what do you suggest please if u want to know my speakers i posted today yamaha or marantz thanks

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    22. dante01

dante01
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11,249