Yamaha rx 1070 issue

Fangorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello..A mate of mine as given me his "broken" 1070 receiver to see if I can do anything with it. He went out a bought a denon so doesnt really want it back. I have an old rx1067 so I would imagine a reasonable upgrade if resolve the problem? After resetting factory settings and updating firmware ran it fine for a couple of days thinking the problem may of been fixed. But no! After watching a movie with dt master audio without issue I then put in a disc with plain dts audio. Centre speaker channel failed all others continued and then after a few moments left and right also cut out. Leaving just surrounds still working. Nothing I could do to bring them back etc. I dont think it has anything to do with what audio output it was. Just thats how it happened. Anyone else had this issue and any ideas what I could try to fix the issue as its a lovely amp when working?
On a side note having enjoyed the sounds of the 1070 while working and even though my 1067 is still going fine what new amp would be best for a future upgrade to get me to the 1070 standard?
Thanks in advance

It might be interesting to see if it is just the internal amps that are faulty. If the pre-outs work okay, you could use it as a pre-amp with your 1067 as the power amp.

It might be interesting to see if it is just the internal amps that are faulty. If the pre-outs work okay, you could use it as a pre-amp with your 1067 as the power amp.
Cant say I really understand what that means but thanks anyway...perhaps you could drop me a dm on what I would need to do..and if really worth it..if it does prove only internal amp issue ..maybe worth sending off for a fix?

The connections would be from the pre-outs of the 1070 to the multi channel inputs of the rx1067, using standard RCA cables. It might be worth cabling it up just to see if that is viable, as if the fault is still there, then scrap the idea.

I'm not sure it would be economical to pay for a repair. You could sell it for spares or repair on eBay, I have done quite well with a few faulty electronics that way.

So apart from the rca cables.. everything else (speaker cable, blu ray etc) is still going into the 1067. could i do this over hdmi? Also would I have to change any settings on the 1067 to tell it what I am attempting to do?

You would use the 1070 as the pre-amp. So that would be where all the sources are connected. And would need to be configured as usual for your speaker set up and room. Keep the sub connected to it.

The 1067 would be the power amp, so connect the main speakers to that. I would factory reset it. Configure it for your speaker set up. Have all speakers set to large. Have it on direct / pure direct mode, switched to the multi channel input. You'll need to find the right place on the volume dial, it will probably be 0, but start lower and turn it up. If 0 isn't ridiculously loud, leave it there then run YPAO on the 1070.

That is if the issue is resolved. If the sound still cuts out, then you know the issue with the 1070 is more than the power amps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom