1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RVX 430RDS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sandman, May 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    Does anybody have any experience of this amp. I am thinking of upgrading as I want DTS and Pro-logic 2. What Hi-fi claims this amp has 6.1 processing and pro-logic 2 in their buyer section, is this correct? RS are advertising this amp at £179 at the moment and was thinking about getting one. Is it worth the money or should I save up some more and get something else?

2. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the silver version that has a different remote. I think it's great, but I don't have much experience of other models. The PL2 makes a real difference to TV sound. I'm less convinced about the 6.1 simulation. It's supposed to give the effect of a centre rear via the left and right rear. This may be down to my lousy speaker positioning.

I went for the Yamaha as it was the cheapest way to get all the features I wanted. The good reviews helped as well.

I wouldn't bother with the DSP effects. They just seem to add echo.

The only reason to pay more is if you need more inputs or better video switching.

3. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    this is a great amp and for the price (£150 if you shop around) you cant IMO get much better. it will not provide true 6.1 amplification (so if this is a priority go for the 630 or try the marantz4300) but the 6.1 matrixed amplification does the job ok.
    it has 6 channel inputs so if you want to add a SACD or DVDA player at a later date you could.
    audio play back is fine for the money but i would still go for a separate audio amp.
    it is being replaced by a newer model hence the cheap price at the moment.
    the DSP modes are crap but with PL2 this is no problem

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I won't tell you about 430 as Steev and Menalaus has already given very good information already.

It depends totally on your budget. If you can go up to around £260 then there is the new:

Yamaha RX-V440RDS in Black or HTR-5640 in Silver with true 6x amp and DTS-ES,DDEX,DPLII etc. for at the moment around £230 at qed or unbeatable. This one can only be better than award winning 430, which means very good sound for both music and film indeed.

Sony STR-DB790, launched sometime in the early summer, equipped similarly like the Yamaha. Although qed is advertising a price of £239 at the moment, they might sell units sourced from Europe. If Sony hopefully has brought down some of the components used in the superb 1080, then we should expect a very competent machine.

Marantz SR4300 at £260 in black. I have one in gold and it looks like it cost at least double, with all the features as Yamaha including CSII which is like DPLII but IMHO much better. The amp has plenty of musical and cinema abilities, a very good allrounder.

Or you could get Yamaha DSP-AX630 which RS should sell for £260? and you have another true winner.

Hyperfi is selling the 430 for £150 if you still want it and that is what Menalaus says a absolute steal, and you can save yourself some serious money and disregard the options I just gave, and spend it on a new DVD player or cables etc.

Wasabi

5. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    Thanks for the quick and informative replies guys, I think I will get on the blower to hyperfi and order up the 430, I am unsure what to make of the 6.1 matrixed amplification. Does the amp have a speaker output for a rear centre speaker but does not decode true 6.1 channel sources?
    What are the problems with video switching on this amp?
    If the amp can handle all my inputs (DVD, CD, TV, SKY, video) I will buy it as what I really want is DTS and PLII and it seems to be the right power for my speakers. My panny amp is rated at 80w per channel but this is quoted at 6ohms in the manual so I am guesing the yamaha is more powerful too!

6. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the amp will handle all your audio inputs but i would not run the video signals through it or any other amp as this will result in a lower grade video signal quality.

there is no speaker out for a centre rear (as there is no centre rear amp in the box!) so if this is a must, do not buy this amp and go for one of the newer options described by Wasabi.

all the Matrix 6.1 does is create a psudo surround centre channel.
    for me this is not a prob and works well because of my room layout (i cant accomodate an extra rear speaker)

7. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The centre rear is just simulated. There's no speaker out for it.

Video switching is only composite, so no good for DVD. I haven't used that feature yet.

You should have plenty of inputs. You shouldn't need to plug in the video and Sky (if it's not digital) as you can just take the stereo from the TV.

It made me smile that it doesn't have an in/out labelled for cassette. It says MD/CDR (I think).

I need to read up on using the tuner. I keep getting mixed up between re-tuning and changing presets.

I plan to keep mine for a while, but want to upgrade the speakers, possibly to Missions.

menalaus managed to post just before me

8. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sandman, if you mean audio inputs from all your sources, then I don't think it will be any problems. I know that 440 has 7 inputs and 430 should have around the same. But if you want the video signals to go through then you will lose a lot of quality as it only has composite inputs (red/white/yellow cables), no component or s-video inputs.

I don't think 430 has a rear centre speaker terminal and as it doesn't have a true 6x amp, only 5x amp, I presume that it preprocess the signal from even a 6.1 signal input, through the Yamaha DSP. Steev, Mandalaus am I out in deep water here?

EDITED - aaahh you guys must be quick typers!!!

Wasabi,

9. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    Thanks again guys, thats my mind made up I will try and track one down for £150 and order it on monday.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What different remote? They are the same.

Sounds great though doesn't it. Does a very good job. If the speakers are positioned just right and you're sitting in the centre of the rears, it really sounds like there's another speaker right behind your head :)

11. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi SG

Mine is the 5540 and it does have a slightly different remote. I use my One for All anyway.

Maybe I don't have my speakers set right to appreciate the centre rear effect. Current room layout means they are at different heights. I've tried various 6.1 material and never really felt I had gained a speaker.

12. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hi there...
    Long time since last time, many other duties in the mean time (work...)...
    I have the rx-v530, which is almost the same than the 430 except for remote and rear panel (more video options), but it sounds the same.
    I wanted to say I agree with SG, you can feel an extra channel behind you with the "simulation". I think it should be the same effect as if you "tell" the amp that you don't have a center front channel, so you may try that.
    Have fun.

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 5540 too and when I looked at the manuals for the RXV-430RDS and the HTR-5540RDS, the remote is shown the same. Certainly same functionality anyway. Maybe it's because yours is part of the HTiB system?? :confused:

It definitely matters how it's all set up. You have to be seated directly in between the rears, dead centre, and the rears should be behind your ears (not lined up with them) even if they're just a little behind.

I have the rears almost facing each other too. Basically, I started with them facing each other, then turned them a little so they're pointed towards each ear if I'm sitting in the centre.

It's well worth experimenting mate as the soundfield is breathtaking when you stick a 6.1 or EX DVD in :smashin: