1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha RVX 1400 - Componant Upgrading Q

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Scotty Boy, Jul 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey.

I've been told that I can do something with my amp, where I can put a normal source into the amp (S Video? Composite?) And then it will upgrade the signal to Componant. Is this true? If anyone could give a little more info on this, that'd be great.

You see, i've got one componant input on my TV, running DVD and my Xbox in Progressive Scan. If I could get my Gamecube doing Progressive Scan, that'd be ace. But I only have 2 inputs on my amp. That's why this upgrade thing caught my attention.

Cheers

Scott

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :rtfm:

Yes you can do that with your gamecube and all the others through the Yamaha. It will convert the s-video or composite to componant output.:D

3. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would you connect the Gamecube to the amp??
    If you use svid or composite then AFAIK the Yamaha won't output a progressive signal (someone correct me if I'm wrong!!) - I don't believe that the Yamaha will do de-interlacing.
    Also, you've got to remember that video up conversion can't add to the qulity of the original video signal. If you feed a poor composite signal in then you'll get a poor signal out, only now its being delievred by a component connection.

Regards

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kind of,
    It will allow output of anything that is input as progressive as progressive
    It will allow output of interlaced component from S-Video, composite or interlaced component signals.

5. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, don't be getting to techy on me now. :p

I currently have my Gamecube going to my TV via some componant leads, and I can get Progressive Scan out of most games.

What I would have to do, is connect to my Amp via a S Video Lead, or a composite lead. This would then 'upgrade' the signal to componant. So does this mean I can get a progressive scan image by using a GC S Video lead.

I'm just looking to get the bets picture possible without doing too much wire jiggling.

6. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, you won't get a progressive output, you'll get an interlaced output as the Yamaha doesn't de-interlace the incoming signal.

7. Scotty Boy

Scotty Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    SO what kind of quality would I get then? Just normal S video but being carried through the Componant leads?

8. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess so. You won’t get the benefit of the extra video bandwidth that the component connection is capable of. You can’t put in what wasn’t there to start with.
    I suppose the advantage is that you only need 1 cable (the component cable) running to your display device. I’m not too clued up on this, but maybe the component signal may be more tolerant of longer cable runs as well, so even though you start of with s-vid and convert to component the outcome may be better than using a long s-vid cable. Like I said, not too sure on this one though :confused:
    I guess it’s a shame that the 2400 doesn’t have 3 component inputs!