Yamaha RN803 alternatives

Pauel

Standard Member
Long story short - after two months of usage my Klipsch The Fives are going to be replaced with something less buggy and more classic without any DSP engineered sound. I'd write a review someday, but not now - it is a bit painful at the moment. If I was young again I'd start a vendetta!

So, I'm building the setup from the scratch.
The speakers model will the one of the following:
  • Spendor 3/5 or 4/5 or A1
  • AE1 Classic or AE 500
I need a piece of advice about the streaming integrated amplifier for Spotify. They swore blind they'll add some lossless format around the end of this year.

A top dog - Yamaha RN803. The main obstacle is the heat. How much heating produces this guy?
The only place for him is a niche inside the TV stand. That niche is just 1/2 inches bigger in every dimension than the amplifier. The rear and front are open, but the sides, top, and bottom are made from solid thick wood. So, I'm interested if this Yamaha survives inside such a small niche. Who has such experience? I like Yamaha since I was a boy. This brand is my soft spot.

An underdog - Audiolab 6000A Play - how good this guy is?

Does anyone have an idea what else should I consider? Please, share with me your thoughts. I'd appreciate any feedback.

My preferences are:
  • Streaming network amplifier, just-add-speakers, because my room is tiny - 13sqm.
  • At least ~50W, just to drive the speakers above
  • Spotify
  • AB class amplifier if possible
  • A budget - similar to 803 and 6000A or a little bit more
  • Preout or preout for sub (SB-1000, bought a month ago)
  • Less than RN803
Marantz, NAD - looks like I don't like such sound, big No-No.

Please, share with me your thoughts. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:
Solution
I need a piece of advice about the streaming integrated amplifier for Spotify. They swore blind they'll add some lossless format around the end of this year.

A top dog - Yamaha RN803. The main obstacle is the heat. How much heating produces this guy?
The only place for him is a niche inside the TV stand. That niche is just 1/2 inches bigger in every dimension than the amplifier. The rear and front are open, but the sides, top, and bottom are made from solid thick wood. So, I'm interested if this Yamaha survives inside such a small niche.

I would suggest that only a 13mm gap between the top of the amplifier case and cabinet is pushing it for any amplifier which relies on convection cooling through top mounted vents. This means...

Helix Hifi

Long story short - after two months of usage my Klipsch The Fives are going to be replaced with something less buggy and more classic without any DSP engineered sound. I'd write a review someday, but not now - it is a bit painful at the moment. If I was young again I'd start a vendetta!

So, I'm building the setup from the scratch.
The speakers model will the one of the following:
  • Spendor 3/5 or 4/5 or A1
  • AE1 Classic or AE 500

The only place for him is a niche inside the TV stand. That niche is just 1/2 inches bigger in every dimension than the amplifier. The rear and front are open, but the sides, top, and bottom are made from solid thick wood. So, I'm interested if this Yamaha survives inside such a small niche. Who has such experience? I like Yamaha since I was a boy. This brand is my soft spot.

An underdog - Audiolab 6000A Play - how good this guy is?

Does anyone have an idea what else should I consider? Please, share with me your thoughts. I'd appreciate any feedback.

My preferences are:
  • Streaming network amplifier, just-add-speakers, because my room is tiny - 13sqm.
  • At least ~50W, just to drive the speakers above
  • Spotify
  • AB class amplifier if possible
  • A budget - similar to 803 and 6000A or a little bit more
  • Preout or preout for sub (SB-1000, bought a month ago)
  • Less than RN803
Marantz, NAD - looks like I don't like such sound, big No-No.

Please, share with me your thoughts. I'd appreciate any feedback.
I tend to agree that some NAD amplifiers can be a hit and miss regarding sound quality, But you clearly haven’t heard the right Marantz amplifier yet.😊. You could buy the Marantz PN7000 streaming amplifier. I do believe the Marantz amplifier has pre out puts to connect a subwoofer. But it cost a tad more then the RN803. The Marantz PM6007 has digital inputs. That cost a bit less then the RN803. But the PM6007 is not a streaming amplifier. But you could always add the streamer unit of your choice, since the Marantz has digital inputs. Plus it has subwoofer out, but I believe that you only can adjust the subwoofer crossover settings to minimum 80-100hz. Whether that is a big deal, that is difficult to tell in the long run.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pauel

Standard Member
I tend to agree that some NAD amplifiers can be a hit and miss regarding sound quality, But you clearly haven’t heard the right Marantz amplifier yet.😊. You could buy the Marantz PN7000 streaming amplifier. I do believe the Marantz amplifier has pre out puts to connect a subwoofer. But it cost a tad more then the RN803. The Marantz PM6007 has digital inputs. That cost a bit less then the RN803. But the PM6007 is not a streaming amplifier. But you could always add the streamer unit of your choice, since the Marantz has digital inputs. Plus it has subwoofer out, but I believe that you only can adjust the subwoofer crossover settings to minimum 80-100hz. Whether that is a big deal, that is difficult to tell in the long run.
Marantz was considered as a main option until I heard their sound. I didn't have a chance to listen to 7000n however, just 6007.
The sound is not bad, but it is much more colored comparing to Parasound newclassic 200 and Naim 5si.

Upvote 0

Pauel

Standard Member
You had a bad experience with the fives but the streaming active speakers concept would probably work better for you if you get the right set. Takes away the matching and trying to fit things in.

Anyway, something to look at would be the wxc50 that's mentioned and a pair of Acoustics energy AE1 active speakers. Your set is separate so the streaming part can be upgraded separate to speakers if need be

AE1 Active require XLR for the best performance. However, the WXC streamer worth considering. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

Marantz was considered as a main option until I heard their sound. I didn't have a chance to listen to 7000n however, just 6007.
The sound is not bad, but it is much more colored comparing to Parasound newclassic 200 and Naim 5si.
Yes, they are on the warm side of neutral. The Spendor speakers have a reputation for being warm sounding. Marantz plus Spendor can be too warm sounding. But many times an amplifier that is neutral at the hifi store, may be too neutral to enjoy in the long run in your own listing room. This is because a warm sounding amplifier is more forgiving if you have a room that is not well furnished. But you seem like you have it all under control😊. Sad news about the Klipsh active speakers. I my self use Bluesound Node2i. No experience with Yamaha’s streamers. I too have analyzed different more expensive dacs (twice the price of the Node2i) but the difference is marginal. There is a tad more bass, resolution. However I doubt you’ll miss that in the long run. But there can be different software on certain streamers. Node2i as example is quite good. Decent app( could be better) options to connect external Dac, Nas drive etc. I don’t know if the Yamaha can do that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pauel

Standard Member
@Pauel, don’t the Audiolab amplifier suffer from transformer hum inside the cabinet? Think I’ve read that somewhere,,,
Interesting point! Actually, this box might work as an amplifier. So, when I tested my Fives I've discovered that the tv stand hums around 100hz. Indeed, I need to check. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Jester1066

You clearly misunderstood me. I just tried to tell @Pauel that it might be wise to read the Yamaha manual regarding the amplifier he asked about. It appears that Yamaha budget range amplifiers need more ventilation around them because they are designed like that.
My apologies for clearly misunderstanding you on this. 😊 Rest assured no malice was intended in my reply.

Fwiw I haven't owned a yamaha amp for a good few years. The last one was actually a stop gap HTIB setup. Nothing wrong with it at all & gave me a good couple of years service, before I upgraded. It's still in use today, as I gave it to my brother. Iirc - this ran quite cool (in comparison to my Denon). I therefore have no ownership experience of the current Yamaha range, budget or otherwise.

@Jester1066, if you didn’t read between the lines when I wrote the following line: own security-that does not mean you can stuff the Yamaha amplifier in a stereo rack with pillows around it😊.
This made me laugh (in a good way!)....

While I always try and look after my gear & protect it from knocks/dings, I think my OH would leave me if I did "wrap my amps in pillows"..... (Step too far for sure!) 😂

She already says she's an "AV Forums Widow".... 😉👍🏼

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jester1066

@Pauel, don’t the Audiolab amplifier suffer from transformer hum inside the cabinet? Think I’ve read that somewhere,,,
My own particular 6000a is silent. I do however recall hearing that that some earlier models eg 8000s did suffer this. Afaik the 6000 series is OK. You do need to make sure the power cable is securely in the socket (at the amp end), as this can induce noise.

As I say I've owned my 6000a from new (2018). It's in daily use and on for long periods (2 kids under 4 😂😉👍🏼). Never skipped a beat!

Upvote 0

Pauel

Standard Member
One more throw-in guys - looks like RN803 has been just discontinued. I've just found this label on some of Yamaha's sites. Looks like that means no more updates, no more fixes, no more features. Sounds like a deal breaker to me.
Does anyone know the details behind this, e.g. some plans to release something else? In other words, I'd like to know if I should expect another AB class integrated streaming amplifier from Yamaha. Say, if they release a newer version of RN803 or another AB class streaming amplifier, I'd wait and meanwhile refactor a niche in the TV stand by removing the shelf partitioning with a screwdriver, saw, and a mallet.

Upvote 0

Jester1066

Your 2 pre-school aged kids use an amplifier?
For the avoidance of any doubt, I turn the amp on for them! (Then remove/hide the remote 🤣🤪) - I have it temporarily hooked up via optical to the TV, in a 2 channel setup.

(Although given half a chance, the eldest would certainly give it a go!)

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

No worries @Jester1066, just a bit sarcasm from me to you😀. @Pauel, it looks like Yamaha is going to release new models later this year. That is just a rumor from my hifi dealer. So nothing certain. A pity still, since you want that model.

Upvote 0

Jester1066

No worries @Jester1066, just a bit sarcasm from me to you😀
Ditto @Helix Hifi - Think my chosen forum name, gives an indication that I'm not easily offended. Loves a bit of sarcasm & jest. Keep me feeling young! 🙂👌

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

One more throw-in guys - looks like RN803 has been just discontinued. I've just found this label on some of Yamaha's sites. Looks like that means no more updates, no more fixes, no more features. Sounds like a deal breaker to me.
Does anyone know the details behind this, e.g. some plans to release something else? In other words, I'd like to know if I should expect another AB class integrated streaming amplifier from Yamaha. Say, if they release a newer version of RN803 or another AB class streaming amplifier, I'd wait and meanwhile refactor a niche in the TV stand by removing the shelf partitioning with a screwdriver, saw, and a mallet.
It could be a long wait... What about the Powenode2i in the mean time. Downside is no display, and you need to buy an external remote! That’s is if you don’t use the app.

Upvote 0

Jester1066

It could be a long wait... What about the Powenode2i in the mean time. Downside is no display, and you need to buy an external remote! That’s is if you don’t use the app.
This is (most likely) the route I'm going to be taking. I really like the reviews of the Node 2i. - I'll be using it with my 6000a. Will only get the remote if I find controlling via the app has issues. Tbh I control most things via apps (if available).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jester1066

Yes, this forum is great. I was on another forum before. I want reveal the name, but to put it mildly it was no fun.
I'm pretty sure I know the forum in question mate.... Could it be the one where there's been a (very recent & well documented) mass exodus of members, seeking shelter in AVF?

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

@Pauel, you do of course have the Marantz streamer model. Still it’s expensive. But it’s very good. What could do instead is let’s say buy an amplifier in the PM6007 price range, then NODE2i or Yamaha own streamer.

Upvote 0

Jester1066

@Pauel, you do of course have the Marantz streamer model. Still it’s expensive. But it’s very good. What could do instead is let’s say buy an amplifier in the PM6007 price range, then NODE2i or Yamaha own streamer.
As soon as my local Richersounds is open, I'll go in and see if I can get the Node2i & Yamaha WXC-50 both on home demo for a side by side comparison, hooked up to the 6000A. Happy to report back when done.

Edit: The only thing with the WXC-50 is I don't think it has gapless playback. Maybe someone can confirm? This is why I'm leaning towards the Node 2i - as this does. Not having gapless is a definite deal breaker for me.

Something to consider, when looking at options.

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

And you hifi setup should be very, very expensive.
As soon as my local Richersounds is open, I'll go in and see if I can get the Node2i & Yamaha WXC-50 both on home demo for a side by side comparison, hooked up to the 600A. Happy to report back when done.
The only drawback back with the Node2i is that the WiFi connection can be unstable at times. Bluesound says some routers like Cisco can have problems. So I would use LAN instead. But many users does not have any issues when using WiFi. Other then that it is very stable.

Upvote 0

Jester1066

And you hifi setup should be very, very expensive.

The only drawback back with the Node2i is that the WiFi connection can be unstable at times. Bluesound says some routers like Cisco can have problems. So I would use LAN instead. But many users does not have any issues when using WiFi. Other then that it is very stable.
Thanks. I also read this. So as part of my (never ending it seems) room remodel, I'm having a cat6 ethernet run put into each room of the house. I'll connect all my aV gear that has Ethernet ports to a simple gigabit switch, so it'll all be nice and stable 👌👍🏼

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

I don’t think we’re taking about the same forum. But I was so stupid and said I couldn’t hear any difference when it comes to Tidal so called MQA files. Spotify is good enough for me. Maybe my ears are too old. Anyway when I said that, I got some angry replies.

Upvote 0

Jester1066

I don’t think we’re taking about the same forum. But I was so stupid and said I couldn’t hear any difference when it comes to Tidal so called MQA files. Spotify is good enough for me. Maybe my ears are too old. Anyway when I said that, I got some angry replies.
Little harsh treatment of you mate!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 28th July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published