Yamaha Repair

chrish16

Hi
I bought a display model Yamaha RXA1080 only a few months ago. In that time maybe 4 times sound stops, the picture goes to the default Yamaha background and on the AVR front display it says "Reference Boar". I initially thought it said "Reference Board" at first and maybe it does just can't fit it on the display. I've googled and found 2 people mention it but no answers or solutions. Does anyone know what this is? If I recall I just press the scene button again for the input I was on and it carries on working. I'm not sure if it displays this if I've accidentally caught something on the remote, but even so, what does the display message mean?

Also, would I be best contacting Richer Sounds or Yamaha direct for a repair if required? Any experience of either for repair service? I'd rather not have to have it replaced as don't believe there are any RXA1080 left for sale, I was lucky to get this one.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Your first port of call would be the retailer who sold you the AVR. They will send it to a authorised service centre as part of your Yamaha warranty. Yamaha orchestrate their warranties via the retailers.

chrish16

Hi
I contacted Yamaha and they said:
We are sorry to hear that you have a problem with your Yamaha, as the operation is not as expected or within specification it would seem like your unit could benefit from service attention.
For information on Yamaha service & service centres and how to get your product repaired, please contact either your supplying dealer or our dedicated Yamaha service Admin team on 01908 366700 & ask for Yamaha service Admin team they can advise you further.

I thought maybe it would take longer going through Richer Sounds. Anyone seen this message before? I really don't want to disconnect it and set all the settings up again :(

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
It looks like you can go down either route. I would be tempted to go directly to Yamaha, as it will reduce the amount of shipping.

Expect it to take 3-6 weeks for the repair to be carried out and that you may end up with a refurbished unit rather than your own back, as this reduces repair times if they are awaiting parts.

chrish16

Thats what I was thinking shipping direct to Yamaha, which most likely Richer Sounds will end up doing.
Do you know if you can take a backup file to usb or network etc of the settings to restore?

chrish16

A quick google shows you can in fact backup, unless there is an issue in the config causing the issue

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom