1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha reliability

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 2cxm, Jan 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. 2cxm

2cxm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a yamaha RX-v 1500 from GERMANY WHICH STOPPED OUTPUTTING SOUND AFTER 15 MINUTES . Iwould advise other potential purchasers that in my limited experience there is a reliability issue with this make. I have previously had no reliability problems with other makes especially Quad Leak Toshiba and Sony.

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One item going wrong does not constitute a "reliability issue"!
    I have ten years (Selling) experience of the brand and have to say they have quite a good track record in my experience.

3. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a shop demo Yamaha pro logic amp (displayed for a full 12 months in the shop) and it is still going strong 5 years later now supplying music around the house. No reliability problems for me.

4. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,617
    same with me, ive always had yamaha equipment not a problem id say user error more than anything, or maybe they sent it to you with a poor courier service and they buggered around in transit

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Not had a problem with yamaha and owned a bit of their stuff over the last 3-4 year period.

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clown:

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I've had a Yamaha 640 Rx-Amp for about a year now, no probs at all. Mind you, mine travelled all the way from Cambridge in the back of my car (35 miles), not halfway across Europe.

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,151
    I have never found their products to be anything less than tough. My old DSPAX620 ran 4x Rogers Db101's for a long period of time, an impedance of some way below four ohms. It is still very much alive although I think I have lost the remote. Statistically DOA product will happen with every make and model.

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    My Yamaha 1400 came from Germany some 11 months ago and gets pounded to hell and back at times and still works happily what ever I throw at it. I think you just got a duff one.:( Doent make it right but it happons. I take it your getting it replaced now under warranty 2cxm??

10. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    2cxm: The protection function may have kicked in on the RX-V1500, which it does if the receiver detects any abnormalities such as a short or overload. Have you checked all the connections and settings?

Some settings result in silence, for instance setting the input mode to DTS only when receiving another format through a digital input, switching to Pure Direct mode with a signal other than analog or PCM digital, switching to the multi channel input when nothing is connected there, and the traditional problems of inadvertently muting or switching off the speakers.

It's easy to accidentally switch off the main speakers when selecting sound field programs, especially in the dark, since the speaker buttons are in the same button group. Have a look at the display on the receiver. Below the VCR1 and CBL/SAT indicators is an indicator labeled SP. If it's not lit, then the main speakers are simply turned off. Then all you have to do is press the A or B buttons on the front depending on which input your speakers are connected to. Make sure you turn down the volume first.

Muting can also be a problem, but I don't think it is what happened to you since doing pretty much anything cancels the mute function. By default, the mute funtion is set to "Full", which completely turns off the sound. The MUTE indicator is to the left of the volume indicator and will be flashing if the receiver is muted.

11. 2cxm

2cxm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise that other members may be defensive of this manufacturer.
    I checked that the speakers were still working with another amp as the sound went off abruptly when no control signal was being sent.The automatic set up gave error message E-1 and I rechecked the speakers and the settings, the amp made no output to the speakers I checked the DC resistance at the speaker connection posts and all the speakers measured 6.9 ohms.Yamaha technical told me to use the factory reset sequence which they supplied, with no change.I was not looking for support nor was I doing anything other than advising prospective purchasers that IN MY LIMITED EXPERIENCE THERE IS ARELIABILITY ISSUE WITH THIS MAKE.I was not attacking other members preference for this make after all this amp was bought in good faith.

12. 2cxm

2cxm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realise that other members may be defensive of this manufacturer.
    I checked that the speakers were still working with another amp as the sound went off abruptly when no control signal was being sent.The automatic set up gave error message E-1 and I rechecked the speakers and the settings, the amp made no output to the speakers I checked the DC resistance at the speaker connection posts and all the speakers measured 6.9 ohms.Yamaha technical told me to use the factory reset sequence which they supplied, with no change.I was not looking for support nor was I doing anything other than advising prospective purchasers that IN MY LIMITED EXPERIENCE THERE IS A RELIABILITY ISSUE WITH THIS MAKE.I was not attacking other members preference for this make after all this amp was bought in good faith.

13. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I have had Yamaha dsp amps for ten years now ( dspA1000 dsp A1 ) and have had no problems with them so far.

Dave.

14. wispamint

wispamint
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all, first post, and here goes.....
    After ordering a sony 795 I stumbled on this forum, read about the "buzzing" issues I quickly got on the blower and cancelled it. So a few months of avidly reading through just about all of the threads on this forum I came to a conclusion that it was a yamaha receiver that I would spend my (very) hard earned wedge on. The savings to be had by getting one from Germany (as I've read on many threads) are not to be sniffed at. So, after much deliberation I decided to order one (yesterday). I just hope mine isn't a duffer.

15. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    wispa - what did you order and from where? i just ordered yammy 1500 from techikdirect. very good price too under £435 delivered going on exchange rate i could find! :D
    What happened with your faulty one 2cxm?

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I bought a Braun electric razor at the weekend - top of the range model, and it lasted 15 seconds before the power supply died. Sh*t happens, even with the best makes. The replacement worked fine.

17. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I would not class a fault after 15 minutes as a "Reliabilty problem". It's a DOA. It's the one in a thousand that didn't get picked up during testing when manufactured. I realise you are probably disappointed - who wouldn't be, but cope with it as my kid sister would say.

What would you prefer? :
    1) Goes pop after 15 minutes and get a new one.
    2) Dies after 24 months and 1 day?

Exactly.

18. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yamaha UK will service your German bought 1500 (confirmed by members here, if you search), it is kind of gentleman agreement, as they officially doesn't have to service it yet, as the UK government still hasn't manage to implement the EU directive (yes one of the slowest countries in EU to implement directives, which overrides local law).

Wasabi

19. wispamint

wispamint
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Stinky - Same here, Technikdirect. Same price also.

20. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wispa - lets hope that both of ours arrive and that when it does it works fine! I was a bit worried about the european mains plug, but downloaded the manual from yamaha uk website and theres a note in there saying if it comes with european plug, cut it off and tells you how to wire a uk plug. So my mind is now at rest. On the plug issue at least!

21. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    As the 1500 will be the same as the 2500, you don't even have to cut the end of the plug off, just get a pc power leaded/kettle lead and use that.
    This way you don't have to touch the euro 2 pin lead at all.

22. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The only problem 2cxm is instead of using a title like 'Probelm with new Yamaah rxv1500' you used a sensationilistic headline like something out of the Sun or Sport to grab attention and you have :eek:.

You could always treat yourself to an upgraded cable like the cables that Russ Andrews sell or make your own. Theres a few guides on the web. My home made one made a difference to the sound of my sub compared to the standard cable:D

23. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    so is there an earth pin on the back of the yammy? Kettle lead thing sit ok in there? not too lose etc.

24. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Not on the back of the 1400 and my kettle lead sits fine

25. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There's no earth prong in the mains inlet, but aside from that it's the same type connector (IEC 320 C17/C18) as the earthed ones (IEC 320 C13/C14) used on PC's and similar.

26. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    fantastic ! happy now. just sort out the Id/cc stuff they want me to fax them if i need to and sorted.

27. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Why is nothing earthed these days?

28. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    Most stuff is double insulated I believe , that what the square inside a square lable indicates on the stickers
    atb
    JS

29. 2cxm

2cxm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the RX-V 1500 from Technik Direct Germany for 599 euros and about 20 euros for carriage. Ordered 22/12/2004, despatched 27/12/2004and delivered 30/12/2004.

Regarding power lead I rewired the lead with a three pin one and wired an earth flex to the earth pin clamping both wires in the cable clamp in the plug. I cable tied the two wires together . The two pin female was plugged in to the amp and the free end of the earth wire was attached to the earth binding post at the bottom left corner of the rear of the amp.
    Yamaha have offered to repair the amp in this country and Technik Direct have offered to replace the amp on return of mine.
    I have owned a yamaha touch sensitive piano for about 12 years and it plays faultlessly which is more than I do!

30. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    is the earth thing really necessary? Most of the stereo's etc that come with moulded UK plugs, dont have an earth wire in it either.

So what you gonna do get a replacement? Probably best isnt it?