Yamaha release details of their new 2021 Aventage models

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yamaha have released details of their new Aventage models with the inclusion of AURO 3D for the "RX-A8A" and "RX-A6A" models to be delivered via a firmware update at a later date. The RXA8A flagship models is an 11 channel model inclusive of 11 channels of onboard amplification.

Translation:

Yamaha also imply that all inputs on these models will be fully 8K 60Hz and 4K 120Hz A and B compliant.

Equipped with 7 input / 3 output HDMI terminals that support HDR10 + video transmission and 8K / 60Hz, 4K / 120Hz video signal pass-through / 4K upscaling, and all terminals support 8K / 60Hz, 4K / 120Hz signals Therefore, you can connect multiple 8K playback devices such as the latest game machines at the same time. In addition, VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) that synchronizes the refresh rate of the video source and the display to suppress flickering of the video, and QMS (Quick) that can quickly switch the input of content without causing screen blackout or display distortion. Media Switching), QFT (Quick Frame Transport) that reduces latency by increasing the transmission speed from video source devices, ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) that automatically switches between image quality priority and low latency priority according to the content. It supports various HDMI standards such as.

Last edited:

bizzibee

Standard Member

drillo

Interesting! thx for posting.
I have given Yamaha a wide berth while they have persisted with YPAO but it appears different this yr if I'm not mistaken (I am probably) - My vague recollection was you could equalise bass previously but that automatic RC handled bass poorly or not below a certain frequency. Cant tell if their description suggests its correcting in the time domain as well as frequency - or is that what it always purported to do? Also are the 2 subs independant?

daveybm

Very nice but I notice that somethings "will be supported by firmware update".With Yamaha's track record for some current models ( RX-V4A & RX-6A) this is to be seen to be believed, as non of the scheduled updates for March/April have materialised let alone their fix for 4K/120 for the Xbox X.

Last edited:

Jay53

Indeed it looks good but that little * next to the 8k 4k info says will be supported by a firmware update.

Let's hope that this time around the chipset can actually handle it correctly :D

river123

At last, hopefully with no hdmi bugs.Would the RX-A8A be equivalent to the old RX-3050 which was once at the top end.

dante01

Distinguished Member
At last, hopefully with no hdmi bugs.Would the RX-A8A be equivalent to the old RX-3050 which was once at the top end.

In some ways yes. The A8 will be the flagship model, but unlike the model it replaces, it will include 11 channels of integral amplification as opposed to just 9. The models below it has 9 channels of integral amplification and 11 channels of processing so unlike the RX-A2080 it replaces, you can add another 2 external channels for an 11 channel setup.

The top 2 modelsappear to have a metal fifth foot as opposed to the fifth foot associated with the models below them and the preceeding models they replace.

The top 2 models also include Auro 3D processing.

The 7 channel A4 that replaces the A1080 will now include the exact same impliomentation of YPAO as the other 2 top tier models, includeing the ability to measure the height and angle of height and or ceiling speakers as well as the mic stand required to fascilitate this type of measurement:

All models are equipped with the viewing environment optimization system "YPAO" (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer), which includes a high-precision EQ that enables high-precision, high-quality correction by equalizing processing of 64-bit calculation. This time, a new mode has been added that specializes in the low frequency band, analyzes acoustic characteristics on multiple different time axes, identifies and optimizes the reverberation bass range (standing wave), and improves visibility. Did. In addition, "YPAO-RSC" * 3 , which actively controls the initial reflected sound peculiar to the room to optimize the viewing environment, and the sound field by automatically measuring the distance and direction of each speaker and the height of the presence speaker. Through a comprehensive measurement and correction process that includes "YPAO 3D measurement" that corrects the space three-dimensionally, we overcome the problems of 3D surround playback, where the surround effect is easily affected by the position and specifications of the height speakers and the indoor environment. A clearer viewing environment improvement effect is achieved while minimizing qualitative changes in sound.

Last edited:

bizzibee

Standard Member
People quote this:

RX-A8 (11 channels) = successor of the RX-A3080
RX-A6 (9 channels) = successor of the RX-A2080
RX-A4 (7 channels) = successor of the RX-A1080
RX-A2 (7 channels) = successor of the RX-A880
RX-V6 (7 channels) = successor of the RX-V685
RX-V4 (5 channels) = successor of the RX-V485
T
aken from:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/yamaha-aventage-rx-a8-rx-a6-rx-a4-rx-a2-new-2020-2021-models.3115936/post-60140354

But I believe this is closer to the truth.

RX-A8 (11 Amplified Channels) = Completely new model 11 Amplified Channels
RX-A6 (9 Amplified Channels) = successor of the RX-A3080
RX-A4 (7 Amplified channels) = successor of the RX-A1080
RX-A2 (7 Amplified Channels) = successor of the RX-A880
RX-V6 (7 Amplified Channels) = successor of the RX-V685
RX-V4 (5 Amplified Channels) = successor of the RX-V485

The RX-A6A has both XLR inputs & XLR outputs. There are no XLR inputs or XLR outputs on the RX-A2080, so I can't see how it could be the replacement of the RX-A6A. The RX-A3080 has both XLR inputs & XLR outputs.

Also the RX-A3080 has both the ESS SABRE PRO ES9026PRO Ultra DAC and SABRE ES9007S DAC. The new RX-A6A also has that same ESS SABRE PRO ES9026PRO Ultra DAC and SABRE ES9007S DAC combo as the existing RX-A3080. The RX-A2080 only has ESS SABRE Premier DAC ES9007S x 2 . Same as the existing RX-A1080 and new RX-A4A.

I think that the RX-A8A will be targeting the Denon AVR-X6700, but at a lower price point. The RX-A8A has the ESS 384 kHz / 32-bit SABRE PRO Premier DAC ES9026PRO x 2 (for all channels incl. presence speakers) same as the existing CX-A5200 Pre-Pro.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The new Adventage models may not fact have more than 3 8K/4K 120Hz compliant inputs?

The higher tier 2021 Aventage models were initially indicated as having 7 inputs, 2 mirrored outputs and a third second HDMI zone output. All inputs and outputs on these models were indicated as being fully 8K/4K 120Hz copmpliant and 40Gbps. Again, you'd need a software revision to enable the HDMI 2.1 related capabilities though.

The US retailer Crutchfield are indicating that the Aventage A4, A6 and A8 only have 3 inputs and 1 output that supports 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video?

HDMI features:​

• HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
    • all HDMI connections support 4K/60Hz video
    • 3 inputs and 1 output will support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video with free future firmware update
    • HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
    • HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
    • supports HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision™, and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)
    • HDR10+ enabled via free future firmware update
  • gaming-optimized video processing technologies for a smooth, lag-free gaming experience
    • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), Quick Media Switching (QMS), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduce or eliminate lag and frame tearin

This is contrary to what was initially thought.

It should be noted that Crutchfield are a US retailer and not a tech site.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The new Adventage models may not fact have more than 3 8K/4K 120Hz compliant inputs?

The higher tier 2021 Aventage models were initially indicated as having 7 inputs, 2 mirrored outputs and a third second HDMI zone output. All inputs and outputs on these models were indicated as being fully 8K/4K 120Hz copmpliant and 40Gbps. Again, you'd need a software revision to enable the HDMI 2.1 related capabilities though.

The US retailer Crutchfield are indicating that the Aventage A4, A6 and A8 only have 3 inputs and 1 output that supports 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video?

This is contrary to what was initially thought.

It should be noted that Crutchfield are a US retailer and not a tech site.

I requested more information from Yamaha regarding just how many of the 7 inputs will actually be 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz compliant onboard the new Aventage models.

Question posed:

I'm looking at the RX-A8, but cannot find out how many of its 7 HDMI inputs will be 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz compliant after the promised firmware update is issued? Will all 7 inputs allow the conveyance of 8K/60Hz or 4K/120Hz or will this ability be limited to just some of the inputs?​
Thanks​

Replay:

With regards to your question, all of the HDMI inputs on this model are 8K/60 and 4K/120 capable, so like you mention, when updated all inputs will work the same.
Hope this helps and if you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to ask.
Many thanks
Yamaha Technical A/V
So according to Yamaha themselves, all 7 inputs on these models will be 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz compliant. The details given by Crutchfield are incorrect.

Last edited:

Jay53

The devil is in the detail.

How many will be 8k/60A or 4k/120A 10bit RGB compliant. I.e. are all 7 ports at least 40Gbs 4L10 :thumbsup:

TechEnthu

The devil is in the detail.

How many will be 8k/60A or 4k/120A 10bit RGB compliant. I.e. are all 7 ports at least 40Gbs 4L10 :thumbsup:
True. They did not reply "all inputs are 40 Gbps capable" or "all inputs are 4K120 AB and 8K60 AB capable". That would clarify matters. They said that all inputs are 4K120 and 8K60 capable. Answer often depends on the way question is asked.

Those signals can be carried both over 40 Gbps chips (uncompressed) and over 24 Gbps chips (mostly compressed). Crutchfield is either wrong or right. I suspect they are wrong, but theoretically all inputs can be capable with a mix of slower and faster chips/ports.

The only way to end the speculation is if Yamaha says - all ports are 40 Gbps. Simple as that.

dante01

Distinguished Member
I didn't ask them how many ports would be 40Gbps. Why would then answer something I'd not asked.

You are free to go ask them these questions.

Feel free to do so.

Their initial announcememt in Japan did imply that all imputs would be "10G 4L". The only reason I asked how many would be 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz compliant is because of the rather confusing specifications posted on Crutchfield's site.

Last edited:

nenito2k

when will these be released ?! i contacted 2 retailers in France and they have no ETA...

dante01

Distinguished Member
when will these be released ?! i contacted 2 retailers in France and they have no ETA...
They've now been delayed due to issues with manufacturering in Malaysia caused by the COVID pandemic. Yamaha have now said it will be August/September before they can start shipping the new models.

by default 2021-07-02 at 12.06.10.png

Last edited:

drillo

Thanks very much for posting that review. Would appear to be a step forward from its predecessor, but for me, it really needs to be contrasted against receivers with traditionally superior room correction to establish whether its back playing in the big leagues and it’s also a great shame that no comparison was drawn with the avc-a110 (Not that I consider Audessey a proper RC competitor In the way that Dirac and Arc would be.) but the comparison would still have been interesting. I want grown-up room correction and couldn’t give a fig about whether or not the fifth foot would include a brass Inner when I scarcely believe it to be measurably different let alone audibly. Still the review has kept me interested rather than put me off which I'm pleased about for sure.

Last edited:

nenito2k

various retailers in France have listed the new avantage for end of august...

Last edited:

TechEnthu

various retailers in FRANce has listed the new avantage for end of august...
The best mind-set is: Yamaha for Xmas 😃
It gives you peace of mind, keeps expectations in check, fits uncertainty and allows for independent reviews and potential bugs to be published and analysed.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
First japanese review about RX-A8A here.

Please, use Google to translate.
Good review, although the language is a bit flowery, and that’s nothing to do with the translation.
So the bass equalisation is a big addition over the previous models.
High slew rate is something Yamaha are promoting, but I wonder how much this is about marketing - like the brass bush in the fifth foot. Don’t get me wrong, slew rate is important and it was an issue in the first audio ICs ( 741?) But these days?

Anyway, a superb AV amplifier for sure. And it does have a 11 channels.
I am very happy with my recently acquired 3080. If we had been a couple of years down the road, l would not have hesitated in making this my choice.

nenito2k

In any case the prices of the new Yamaha Aventage line is completely insane!!! The gears looks superbe..that is certain.. But way way too much in these uncertain times

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components