Yamaha reciver issues

geedawg2608

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have set up my surround sound system I have LG TV and yamaha reciver. I have hdmi connected from TV arc to hdmi 1 on reciver , it worked the other day but now its not . I have all settings right ,when I turn receiver on it mutes the tv and hear nothing from my speakers ,. Any ideas why ? Reciver is saying on display decoder off. Please help

You need to connect the hdmi cable to the Monitor out socket on the Yamaha instead of Hdmi 1 socket on the Yamaha.

Oh right I will check that thanks . Just strange how it worked the other day . Thanks for the reply

Check the arc hdmi on your TV, on my LG it happens to be hdmi2

Attachments

• 20211222_141329.jpg
    20211222_141329.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 60
The ARC enabled HDMI input on LG TVs is HDMI 2. It has been this way for as long as I can recall and is still the case now.

The ARC enabled HDMI input on LG TVs is HDMI 2. It has been this way for as long as I can recall and is still the case now.
Yeah it might be in 2 slot but look at the photo i have attached says 3 (arc)

Attachments

• 20211222_141335.jpg
    20211222_141335.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 51
Yeah it might be in 2 slot but look at the photo i have attached says 3 (arc)

Sorry, but what TV is it?

LG have only used either the first HDMI input on their first gen HDMI version 1.4 equipped models or the second HDMI input on later models for ARC.

Doesn't really matter which port is enabled though as long as you connect your AV receiver's ARC enabled output to the input on the TV that is ARC enabled. This will be labelled accordingly and does vary between manufacturers.

The only real issue that some have experienced is with some HDMI version 2.1 equipped models that only include HDMI version 2.1 on one or not all their inputs. Some manufacturers were even stupid enough not to include this on the input that was designated ARC enabled. THis means that you'd not get the advantages associated with HDMI 2.2 if using the ARC enabled input on that TV. LG were not one of the offenders though and all ports on their TVs are HDMI version 2.1 compliant.

Last edited:
You said in your original post that you had it connected to your LG tvs arc port so job done with that. Have you got the other end plugged into your Yamaha's monitor/arc port?

Sorry, but what TV is it?

LG have only used either the first HDMI input on their first gen HDMI version 1.4 equipped models or the second HDMI input on later models for ARC.

Doesn't really matter which port is enabled though as long as you connect your AV receiver's ARC enabled output to the input on the TV that is ARC enabled. This will be labelled accordingly and does vary between manufacturers.

The only real issue that some have experienced is with some HDMI version 2.1 equipped models that only include HDMI version 2.1 on one or not all their inputs. Some manufacturers were even stupid enough not to include this on the input that was designated ARC enabled. THis means that you'd not get the advantages associated with HDMI 2.2 if using the ARC enabled input on that TV. LG were not one of the offenders though and all ports on their TVs are HDMI version 2.1 compliant.
It's LG 55 inch about 2 years old

You said in your original post that you had it connected to your LG tvs arc port so job done with that. Have you got the other end plugged into your Yamaha's monitor/arc port?
This one I think . Its all built in to an entertainment unit so hard to check

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211230-135134_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211230-135134_Google.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 47
Do you have some aversion to telling people what TV you have? What model is it?

I'm pretty sure no 2 year old LG TV will have anything but ARC on the HDMI2 input? I own an LG C9 which is about 2 years old and its HDMI 2 input is the one that is ARC/eARC enabled.

This one I think . Its all built in to an entertainment unit so hard to check

That is the rear of an AV receiver and not your TV. You've also put a red circle around an HDMI input on that AVR that is definitely not ARC enabled. Only the main HDMI output on an AV receiver would be ARC enabled.

Plug the other end of the HDMI cable connected to your TV into the HDMI OUT port on the AV receiver.

by default 2021-12-30 at 14.01.44.png

Last edited:
Do you have some aversion to telling people what TV you have? What model is it?

I'm pretty sure no 2 year old LG TV will have anything but ARC on the HDMI2 input? I own an LG C9 which is about 2 years old andits HDMI 2 input is the one that is eARC enabled.

Sorry bud but I am not at home to check I am at work . Will have a look when I get in . Thanks for the reply

That is the rear of an AV receiver and not your TV. You've also put a red circle around an HDMI input on that AVR that is definitely not ARC enabled. Only the main HDMI output on an AV receiver would be ARC enabled.

Plug the other end of the HDMI cable connected to your TV into the HDMI OUT port on the AV receiver.

View attachment 1627150
dante01 that's what i've been trying to tell him from yesterday but he still hasn't done that yet. See my second post on the thread.

I am home now this is the model sorry for the messing around , I was out and knew the model of the reciver so could get a pic of that off Google. Home now and this is the tv model
dante01 that's what i've been trying to tell him from yesterday but he still hasn't done that yet. See my second post on the thread.

Attachments

• 20211230_141245.jpg
    20211230_141245.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 39
I am home now this is the model sorry for the messing around , I was out and knew the model of the reciver so could get a pic of that off Google. Home now and this is the tv model
The tv model is irrelevant have you connected it to the arc sockets on both the tv and yamaha?

Back to front soz

Attachments

• 20211230_141245.jpg
    20211230_141245.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 40
The tv model is irrelevant have you connected it to the arc sockets on both the tv and yamaha?
I had to post the model of the tv cause someone asked for it . I have it all built in to a unit sealed so have to dismantle it and have a look and see what I have going on there . I'll get back to you all thanks

Yeah, here a better picture of the HDMI ports on your TV:

by default 2021-12-30 at 14.25.27.png

and yes, HDMI input 3 is the ARC enabled input on that mode. THis is unusual for an LG TV.

Anyway, you must connect the ARC enablec HDMI OUTPUT on the AV receiver to the HDMI 3 ARC enabled input on your TV is wanting to use ARC to convey audio from said TV back to your AV receiver.

You should also ensure that SimpLink on the TV is enabled and turned on as well as setting the TV's audio output to the ARC option and setting this to PASS THROUGH.

Onboard the AV receiver, go into its HDMI configurations and turn on both the HDMI Control and the ARC setting.

I'd suggest you now power both the AVR and the TV into standby and reboot them. THis will or should instigate a new HDMI handshake between the 2 devices that includes the changes you made to any of the settings.

If you still have issues with accessing the audio via ARC, consider using a different HDMI cable between them.

REMEMBER, the cable going to the TV needs to be connected to the AV receiver's HDMI OUTPUT and not one of its inputs!

Last edited:
Yeah, here a better picture of the HDMI ports on your TV:

View attachment 1627181

and yes, HDMI input 3 is the ARC enabled input on that mode. THis is unusual for an LG TV.

Anyway, you must connect the ARC enablec HDMI OUTPUT on the AV receiver to the HDMI 3 ARC enabled input on your TV is wanting to use ARC to convey audio from said TV back to your AV receiver.

You should also ensure that SimpLink on the TV is enabled and turned on as well as setting the TV's audio output to the ARC option and setting this to PASS THROUGH.

Onboard the AV receiver, go into its HDMI configurations and turn on both the HDMI Control and the ARC setting.

I'd suggest you now power both the AVR and the TV into standby and reboot them. THis will or should instigate a new HDMI handshake between the 2 devices that includes the changes you made to any of the settings.

If you still have issues with accessing the audio via ARC, consider using a different HDMI cable between them.

REMEMBER, the cable going to the TV needs to be connected to the AV receiver's HDMI OUTPUT and not one of its inputs!
Right it's all working however when the nitendo switch comes on it won't work . Is there a crossover setting ? Many thanks for the reply

Sorry but I do not understand what it is you are asking. Crossover setting?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom