Yamaha reciver issues

geedawg2608

Sorry but I do not understand what it is you are asking. Crossover setting?
It seems to be okay now and sounds amazing thanks for yours and everyone's help . Love the sound . Quick question if I may . When you set the distance for speakers in meters could you tell me is it meters from the reciver ?

gibbsy

When you set the distance for speakers in meters could you tell me is it meters from the reciver ?
Not really. It's the distance and the time it takes for the audio to reach the first point of calibration. Although not a Yamaha owner I've never altered the 'distance' post calibration.

Pulse1

As gibbsy says it's the acoustic distance between the speaker and where the set up mic is placed. Place the setup mic in the same position where you would normaly sit at the same height and inbetween where your ears would be while seated. Then do the auto speaker calibration and try not to have any other sound going on while the auto calibration is in progress.

geedawg2608

As gibbsy says it's the acoustic distance between the speaker and where the set up mic is placed. Place the setup mic in the same position where you would normaly sit at the same height and inbetween where your ears would be while seated. Then do the auto speaker calibration and try not to have any other sound going on while the auto calibration is in progress.
Ah right I see ., I did wonder what the mic what for . I am new to surround sound and got the yamaha unit second hand (no manual) does it make a massive difference as it sounds pretty sweet as it is with the old skool technics speaker package. I suppose the rear surrounds are a bit quiet.

Pulse1

Ah right I see ., I did wonder what the mic what for . I am new to surround sound and got the yamaha unit second hand (no manual) does it make a massive difference as it sounds pretty sweet as it is with the old skool technics speaker package. I suppose the rear surrounds are a bit quiet.
Just try it and see what you think yourself. At the end of the day it's about how it sounds to you.

gibbsy

It would certainly benefit you to run the full calibration by using the mic and follow the onscreen instructions. The mic should be placed at your main listening position (MLP). Best placed with a mic boom stand to make things easier.

As I said previously I'm not a Yamaha owner, I have a Denon but the set up is very similar. Others will no doubt guide you.

Amazon product

geedawg2608

It would certainly benefit you to run the full calibration by using the mic and follow the onscreen instructions. The mic should be placed at your main listening position (MLP). Best placed with a mic boom stand to make things easier.

As I said previously I'm not a Yamaha owner, I have a Denon but the set up is very similar. Others will no doubt guide you.

Amazon product

have another problem it's all working however when I did the yapo auto setup it does not pick up my sub as its the technics set up the sub is just passive wired from av reciver to the front speakers . Is there a way for the av receiver to pick the sub up as it properly is not configured correctly. . I mean the sub works but I'm guessing as its not showing or being picked up it will not be set right . Thanks for your help

gibbsy

have another problem it's all working however when I did the yapo auto setup it does not pick up my sub as its the technics set up the sub is just passive wired from av reciver to the front speakers . Is there a way for the av receiver to pick the sub up as it properly is not configured correctly. . I mean the sub works but I'm guessing as its not showing or being picked up it will not be set right . Thanks for your help
No AV amp will read the passive subs. They are designed to work with powered sub's via the LFE connection. In a 5.1 set up a passive sub is about as worthless as a chocolate tea pot. By wiring to the speaker terminals you are not getting the LFE effects plus the amp is working a lot harder than it needs to. You do need to invest in to a good powered sub.

geedawg2608

No AV amp will read the passive subs. They are designed to work with powered sub's via the LFE connection. In a 5.1 set up a passive sub is about as worthless as a chocolate tea pot. By wiring to the speaker terminals you are not getting the LFE effects plus the amp is working a lot harder than it needs to. You do need to invest in to a good powered sub.
Oh right okay . Wish I researched all this before I built it all in to the wall . So if I get a sub with speaker connectors and a wire from sub out like this kef one maybe or just not wire speakers to it at all?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220102-100401_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220102-100401_eBay.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 14

DavidT

Oh right okay . Wish I researched all this before I built it all in to the wall . So if I get a sub with speaker connectors and a wire from sub out like this kef one maybe or just not wire speakers to it at all?
Connect the receiver sub out to the subs LFE in (mono) connection. Set the subs phase to 0, the gain to 12 oclock and the crossover to max or the LFE setting if the sub has one.

gibbsy

That is a powered sub! You connect the LFE by single RCA cable to the left line in RCA. Set your crossover to it's maximum and phase to 0 (zero). Have your volume set to around the 10 o'clock mark and then re-run YPAO. That will have the Yamaha pick up the presence of the sub and EQ it into the system.

geedawg2608

That is a powered sub! You connect the LFE by single RCA cable to the left line in RCA. Set your crossover to it's maximum and phase to 0 (zero). Have your volume set to around the 10 o'clock mark and then re-run YPAO. That will have the Yamaha pick up the presence of the sub and EQ it into the system.
I haven't got a powered sub yet what would you recommend? I was going to buy that kef 2000 but some reviews are poor on the lifr of the built in amp.

gibbsy

I haven't got a powered sub yet what would you recommend? I was going to buy that kef 2000 but some reviews are poor on the lifr of the built in amp.
Don't buy it. Far better out there. Look at BK subs for value and performance. What you need will depend on the size of your room.

DavidT

Bk Gemini 2 what's that like . Only its the cheapest one I can find though not in the greatest condition.
The Gemini is a decent sub as is the XLS200

geedawg2608

The Gemini is a decent sub as is the XLS200
Is this right ? I have a yamaha rxd 475 just want a second opinion...
I'd stop using the sub as if its wired into the front pair you risk the ohmic load being too low for your receiver.
Pick up an active sub when you can.

gibbsy

How about the REL Acoustics T Zero Sub as its local to me
That's a very small sub. If looking for REL then no lower than the T5. Even that won't blow the doors off but it does an adequate job in smallish rooms and is certainly reliable.

geedawg2608

That's a very small sub. If looking for REL then no lower than the T5. Even that won't blow the doors off but it does an adequate job in smallish rooms and is certainly reliable.
My room is 4 × 4 meters so the zero will not be good enough , I don't really wanna blow doors off lol just want a great sounding system .also someone said that I would damage my av receiver if I keep using the technics passive sub , is that right ?

gibbsy

My room is 4 × 4 meters so the zero will not be good enough , I don't really wanna blow doors off lol just want a great sounding system .also someone said that I would damage my av receiver if I keep using the technics passive sub , is that right ?
Yes it's possible. The AV amp is not designed to be used in such a way and you are not getting any benefit whatsoever currently, so why risk it.

gibbsy

Okay thank you I will disconnect it right away
Disconnect the sub and go back into your post calibration settings and change the speakers to full range or large (not a Yamaha owner so don't know the exact terminology). This will at least give you a bass response.

geedawg2608

Disconnect the sub and go back into your post calibration settings and change the speakers to full range or large (not a Yamaha owner so don't know the exact terminology). This will at least give you a bass response.
Sounds terrible without the sub , will kick my ass into gear to get one quicker , like you said not worth the risk. Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony confirms UK pricing for A90K and A75K Bravia XR 4K OLED TVs
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG announces new CineBeam HU915QE 4K laser projector