1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha Receiver with YPAO equalizer

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by audiofile, Jun 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. audiofile

audiofile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need help from anybody who has a Yamaha receiver with YPAO function.
    Please let me know if you can hear test tones from the speakers when you are doing the AUTO setup for EQUALIZING.
    I cannot hear any test tones with my receiver when it is performing the EQUALIZING setup. I would like to know if it is normal or my receiver has a problem.
    I can hear test tones when it is performing speaker SIZE/DISTANCE, LEVEL and other auto setups. I can also hear test tones when doing Manual setup for the center speaker.
    The user's manual says YPAO equalizing can automatically adjust the frequency characteristics for all the speakers. But I do not understand how the receiver can auto-setup and adjust each speaker's frequency characteristics without audible test tones.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You should be hearing test tones, how else would the microphone be able to pick up information and the amp configure itself.
    Make sure you haven't got the volume or mute or turned right down (i know i had mine on a bit to loud and i got a right shock when it was playing -20ish through 1 speaker)

3. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    my RX-V1500 sets the volume itself when doing the YPAO setup so unless your yamaha works diffrently i dont think you can have the volume set at the wrong level.
    can you monitor the display on your TV? if so watch it go through the test and see if it throws up any error messages.

also you can set it to skip certain tests so have a quick check to make sure that
    you havent accidently set it to skip that test

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Which Yamaha amp are you using??

5. audiofile

audiofile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My model is HTR-5860, 7x100W, new for this year. Maybe it is not available for UK market because I do not see this model at the forums. I think it is similar to the 750. I saw the auto setup running through all the steps with test tones coming from each speaker except when it is doing the equolizing step. I can only see the status bar running at the bottom of the on screen display for a brief moment but no test tones can be heard. I think my receiver has a problem I just would like to verify to make sure it is a bad unit before sending it to Yamaha service center.
    It will be appreciated if anybody whould run this auto setup again & let me know in details (such as how many test tones can be heard from each speaker, are all the speakers produce audible test tones or just the center speaker does so) what should be heard & seen when the YPAO auto setup is running Equolizing step.

6. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    The Yamaha receivers DO NOT make a test tone sound when at the EQUALISING stage of the YPAO setup. I have an RX-V2500.

7. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    thats funny im sure my RX-V1500 did, i`ll have to check

8. audiofile

audiofile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: