Yamaha receiver switching itself off

Reaction score
I bought a yahama Rx 373 the other day and hooked it up and every time I turned it up it switched off and said "check SP wires"

I googled and troubleshot by disconnecting all speakers and connecting one at a time. Finally found it to be the FL one. (I had no sub at this time)

I swapped the plus and minus connector round for the FL and problem solved ie can turn up loud.

However I just bought and connected a sub via RCA connection and it switches itself off again and check SP wires....

Please help as I cant see how the sub would make this happen as no frayed wires or no option to connect wrong way round ?

I have the rca cable going from sub out on av to right in on sub which I believe to be correct?

I would suggest that by plugging the sub in you have disturbed the speaker cables and got the original fault back. You original 'fix' would not have fixed the issue since wiring the cable the other way around only puts the speaker out of phase and would not cause the issue you have.
The most likely reason for you issue is either a stray wire/wires at either the amp or speaker end crossing 2 terminals (rewiring the speaker may have moved these stray cables so no longer crossing terminals) or there is damage to the cable along its length (either something like a nail through it or the plastic shielding has become compromised).
So check the cable fully and at both ends and also wire all the cables consistently so the + cable goes to the same terminals on amp/speakers for all speakers.

I therefore don't understand why it's fine prior to connecting the sub ? All the speakers are wired through the walls so I can't access half the wire. Doesn't the fact that 5 speakers Are wired with no issues indicate they are fine and sub is the issue ?

You would have moved the AVR to plug in the sub and I suspect that during this act you have caused an issue with one of the speaker wires. There maybe an issue in the wall and by pulling on the cable you have just exposed the issue again.
Try unplugging all the speaker cables and just leave the sub connected. Does it turn off then? if not then add each speaker in turn to see if the issue returns.

Ok I've "messed" around with wires and now I seem to be able to turn the volume up as high as I like without switching off however the sub which is still connected as far as I'm concerned is not being recognised at all.

I have used the littlw ypao mic thing to calibrate speakers and when it tries to test the sub its silent like it's not there. However the power light is def on on the sub

Is the sub on or in auto? Have you tried to manually send a signal to the sub from the amp?

Think it's set to auto, however I assumed the ypao mic test would trigger it into life. Not sure how to manually send a signal?

You should be able to send a signal within the speaker menu of the amp.
Try putting the sub to on and seeing if that helps. What is the gain and crossover set too on the back of the sub?

The settings are set to ON as opposed to auto, phase is set to plus as opposed to minus and low pass filter is set to 60hz (dial goes from 40 to 200). Still not sure how to send a manual signal

Turn the crossover to the max value.

Its definitely not switching itself off anymore but I simply cannot get any sound out of the sub ?

Bypass sounds like it could be an AV mode so probably the setting to use

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom