Answered Yamaha Receiver PS3 handshake issue?

anesthetic

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've searched the internet high and low and not only can I not find someone else with the same problem, I can't find anyone to answer or test out my problem. Not only that, Yamaha blames Sony and Sony blames Yamaha.

So here's the underlying issue. Currently, I own a Yamaha RX-A1030 and prior to that, I owned a Yamaha RX-1065BL. Both, without a hitch, dispatched audio and video to the PS3, 360, XBONE, PS4, PS2 etc, with no problem.

Once I finally decided to upgrade to the RX-A1050, I noticed that only the PS3 refused to show any type of video or audio for that matter. While the other systems showed audio/video perfectly, it was only the PS3 that refused to work. It was very frustrating because I had spent countless hours setting everything up, plugging wires, etc.

I just cannot figure out what could have caused the issue. What I did notice, though, is that when you boot the PS3 into safe mode, the video and audio shows up fine, but once you set it to 1080p, everything goes black again and I cannot see anything unless I put the PS3 into safe mode.

The only thing I noticed different about the receivers is that the RX-A1050 is HDCP 2.2 while the former two weren't. I really don't see how that has anything to do with anything given that the other systems are legacy as well.

Moving forward, because I'm upgrading everything to 4K, I have no choice but to upgrade to the RX-A1060 so that I can enjoy 4K gaming and everything, but I'm going to be really bummed out if I cannot play my PS3 games because of some handshake issue with my old trusty PS3.

Does anyone know someone who can test this out to recreate the issue? Or can anyone provide a realistic suggestion?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
You have the ps3 connected directly to the AVR I assume? Just a straight hdmi connection? Do you have the PS3 video settings on Auto ie it should detect the right setting? Do you have any sort of video processing going on with the AVR or is it set to passthrough? If you connect the ps3 direct to your TV does it display ok?

Hi, Violater. Thanks for responding!

1. Yes, connected directly.
2. Yes, a straight HDMI connection.
3. Yes, everything is the same as far as settings go on the old receiver as they are on the new one.

Also, I believe, as I can remember, the setting is always set to "Through," because up-converting 1080p to 1080p isn't necessary. And yes, that's definitely the most frequently given advice I've noticed; yes, the PS3 works fine when connected to the TV directly and also works fine with any Yamaha receiver manufactured prior to the RX-A1050.

I thought it might have something to do with the PS3 having a hardware locked HDCP 1.1 while even the PS4's HDCP isn't hardware locked. The RX-A1050 and up have HDCP 2.2, and while I've heard it's backwards compatible, I'm thinking when i comes to the PS3, maybe this isn't the case? Maybe the hardware is looking to handshake a HDCP 1.1 device and since the receiver is HDCP 2.2, nothing shows? That's my guess.

I just keep thinking to myself.... because I don't see this on any forum... I'm either the only individual in the world with this issue..... or everyone else threw away or traded in their ps3 once they upgraded to the HDMI 2.0 receivers. Lol. I mean, not even the XBOX 360 has this issue..... It has to be that HDCP.

Last edited:
The HDCP mixture should work without a hitch (like it does for everybody else). Therefore please check that:
1) the cable or connector isn't broken (switch cables around)
2) the cable is a high speed cable (such cables always have the words "high speed" on the cable / box).

Also try turning deep colour off on the PS3 (did your new AVR add support for this?).

The HDCP mixture should work without a hitch (like it does for everybody else). Therefore please check that:
1) the cable or connector isn't broken (switch cables around)
2) the cable is a high speed cable (such cables always have the words "high speed" on the cable / box).

Also try turning deep colour off on the PS3 (did your new AVR add support for this?).

Hey there! I finally fired up the RX-A1060 with the PS3 and it works perfectly! Now, I'm beginning to wonder what prevented it from playing nicely with the RX-A1050.

The RX-A1060 is definitely top of the line, supports everything, and I'm super happy. Thank you!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom