Quantcast

Yamaha receiver Dolby atmos

Anoop Kumar

Novice Member
I have one Yamaha Rxv685 receiver paired with LG C9 OLED TV both compatible with Dolby atmos. Both systems are connected through ARC. Unfortunately though the audio available with the TV is Dolby atmos, audio output from the receiver is Dolby Digital plus. I am streaming Dolby atmos content from Netflix. Owing to this problem though the audio format available with the TV is atmos , I am not getting the benefit of it. Any suggestions to circumvent this issue please help me.
Anoop

gibbsy

Sorry if this sounds a silly question, but do you have an Atmos speaker arrangement of 5.1.2 and correctly configured it on the Yamaha?

Anoop Kumar

Novice Member
Thank you for the response. I have a speaker set up of 5.1.2. I think I resolved the issue by changing the HDMI cable. Now I am getting Dolby atmos, I think. Now the receiver displays DolbyAtmos/Dolby digital. Sound is coming from the atmos speakers.
Regards Anoop.
Show quoted text

dante01

Distinguished Member
Atmos is metadata and in the case of Netflix, this metadata is packaged within the Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) formatted audio Netflix encode all their audio with. The TV will output DD+ to your AV receiver via ARC and the audio will be formatted as such irrespective of wheher it is inclusive of Atmos metadata. THe receiver will under the rightcircumstances indicate on its display both the audio package type (DD+) and the Atmos metadats if present.

Dolby Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital Plus has been updated and features a new decoder capable of processing content encoded for Dolby Atmos. This module uses new bitstream metadata to extract Dolby Atmos object-based audio and outputs this information for further signal processing. The sampling rate for Dolby Atmos content is 48 kHz, the same sample rate as for Dolby Digital Pluscontent.

Both new audio decoders are designed to be fully backward compatible with legacy channel-based Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks.
snapshot002.jpg

If you've at least 2 presence speakers within your setup (a 5.1.2 configuration in your case) then I can only assume that the issue you are experiencing is either due to the audio you receiving not being inclusive of Atmos metadata or that you've engaged a mode not conducive with the portrayal of Atmos? To rule out the latter, engage the receiver's STRAIGHT mode in order to bypass any surround decoding or DSP Programs that may be preventing the receiver processing the Atmos metadata if present.

Anoop Kumar

Novice Member
Atmos is metadata and in the case of Netflix, this metadata is packaged within the Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) formatted audio Netflix encode all their audio with. The TV will output DD+ to your AV receiver via ARC and the audio will be formatted as such irrespective of wheher it is inclusive of Atmos metadata. THe receiver will under the rightcircumstances indicate on its display both the audio package type (DD+) and the Atmos metadats if present.

View attachment 1227520

If you've at least 2 presence speakers within your setup (a 5.1.2 configuration in your case) then I can only assume that the issue you are experiencing is either due to the audio you receiving not being inclusive of Atmos metadata or that you've engaged a mode not conducive with the portrayal of Atmos? To rule out the latter, engage the receiver's STRAIGHT mode in order to bypass any surround decoding or DSP Programs that may be preventing the receiver processing the Atmos metadata if present.
Thank you for the detailed clarification. After changing the HDMI cable, I am getting Dolby atmos in my receiver. The audio information reveals Dolby atmos/ Digital plus. Audio is coming from atmos speakers.
Regards
Anoop

Top Bottom