Yamaha Receiver - Any Good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Harry Kim, Jan 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Harry Kim

Harry Kim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been offered a Yamaha Receiver model number RXV-496 for £200. I know that they were much more expensive when they were first released, the seller reckons he paid £500.

It does DTS and Dolby Digital so I think that this must be a good buy, I've seen it and heard it too and it sounds great through his system. I am just starting to get interested in this and could do with some help. Is this a good buy or not?

Sorry for the 'newbieness' of my first post but any help given is great

2. Alsproject

Alsproject

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In a word... no.

If you go to Richer Sounds, you can get a brand new Yamaha DSPAX-620 for just under £200. or if you wanted something a bit newer, a Yamaha HTR5540RDS for under £210.

In my opinion, the Yamaha receiver that your friend is selling to you isn't worth much more than £100 as these amps were release over 3 years ago. I know this because I just sold my Yamaha 396 receiver plus the speaker package that came with it for £120 (this was in excellent condition with all packaging and manuals).

I know your friend wants to get as much for his amp as he probably paid the full amount when it came out but since then, newer and better amps have come out for the same price and thus depreciates value quite drastically.

3. Harry Kim

Harry Kim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So my mate was trying to rip me off then :mad:

If I had £250 to spend then, what would be the best for that price.

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    It's way overpriced - and can be had for £257.99 brand new here. To be honest I'm not sure that is was ever £500 new, more like £400 list, and £350 retail. It also doesn;t offer any support beyond standard 5.1 or for Pro-Logic2

Choices for around £250 are the usual suspects - the Yamaha mentioned above, the Marantz SR4300, the Denon 1603. The 'older' (ie. 2002) Marantz SR4200 can be had for £200 from Richer Sounds, and is a bargain.

I'd look elsewhere than your mates.