Yamaha R-N602 - two Qs (Line out/headphone amp, wired speaker A/B volume)

edjj

Standard Member
Reaction score
First question: I'm thinking about adding a headphone amp to the setup and am confused about how I would connect it. There's no dedicated passthrough as far as I can see but Lines 2 and 3 have both input and output. Are the outputs on these constantly live/outputting, regardless of the input that is being used, and would these be sensible choices for a headphone amp? Question 1B - would there be an appreciable difference using a dedicated headphone amp to just plugging the cans straight into the jack at the front of the box? Am thing abut Grado SR325E if that changes things.

Second question: Down the line when I move places I would like to explore adding a second set of speakers. But there is no discernible way to set a volume differential between the two speaker outputs. Does this mean that these outputs aren't really designed to be used at the same time, but for speakers in different zones, and hardwired to the same amp?

Possibly @Ascotbilly and @robotron have some useful knowledge as they were very helpful in another thread on this amp.

Hi edjj, on your first point, have you tried the amp's headphone output?
You may find you don't need a separate headphone amp if the inbuilt one is good enough.

Regarding line out, I have a minidisc recorder connected to mine and can confirm that it does pass through anything I'm listening to, from any input. I use Line 2 out.

Page 11 of the manual shows a CD Recorder connected in the same manner to Line 3:

I don't know of a way of balancing the volume between A & B speakers. They are designed to be used at the same time if you wish but I think they're done in an old school way and don't have the level of control that true multiroom gives.

One option if you want true multiroom is to look at the other Yamaha Musiccast devices that would work in conjunction with the 602, and get them all connected together but with individual volume controls.

Hope this is useful!

Absolutely no idea I'm afraid, had TT and CDP connected to mine.
I never even opened the manual I pretty much stick to the features I use.

Hi edjj, on your first point, have you tried the amp's headphone output?
You may find you don't need a separate headphone amp if the inbuilt one is good enough.

Regarding line out, I have a minidisc recorder connected to mine and can confirm that it does pass through anything I'm listening to, from any input. I use Line 2 out.

Page 11 of the manual shows a CD Recorder connected in the same manner to Line 3:

I have tried the headphone out - and it sounds fine, but I would expect that a decent headphone amp would tangibly improve things. They're not something I've done much research on yet but my basic thinking was that if they exist, they must provide some benefit...

Perfect thanks for confirming re the outputs. What threw me was that they were attached to Lines 2 and 3 in - this pairing is redundant by the sounds of it. I did have a look at the manual but there wasn't really any reference to the outs other than stating that they exist. My novice self was therefore a little confused.

I don't know of a way of balancing the volume between A & B speakers. They are designed to be used at the same time if you wish but I think they're done in an old school way and don't have the level of control that true multiroom gives.

One option if you want true multiroom is to look at the other Yamaha Musiccast devices that would work in conjunction with the 602, and get them all connected together but with individual volume controls.

This just seems odd to me, especially given that they can be used at the same time. It simply doesn't make sense that you can't set a volume differential. Then again I don't know if this is standard on amps with two speaker terminals. But in any case... I guess it is what it is.

I'll definitely be looking at Musiccast in the future - just not something for now. It's an "own place" kind of thing...

Hope this is useful!

Tremendously! Thank you very much for the info.

@Ascotbilly no worries! And thanks for letting me know.

I'll try to stop bugging you guys about this amp now :)

I have tried the headphone out - and it sounds fine, but I would expect that a decent headphone amp would tangibly improve things. They're not something I've done much research on yet but my basic thinking was that if they exist, they must provide some benefit...

One general note about hifi and to counteract your statement: just because something exists, please don't assume it offers any benefit.
Examples include £500 USB or optical cables, directional speaker cables, green pens that make your CDs sound better, random stickers that you place around the room to absorb bad vibes etc. The hifi world is full of "improvements" that are anything but.

If you're happy with the headphone output, why change? If you're not then fair enough.
If you do want to try to improve things with an external amp, make sure you buy from somewhere with a decent returns policy as it may make no real difference (other than in your initial perception).

One general note about hifi and to counteract your statement: just because something exists, please don't assume it offers any benefit.
Examples include £500 USB or optical cables, directional speaker cables, green pens that make your CDs sound better, random stickers that you place around the room to absorb bad vibes etc. The hifi world is full of "improvements" that are anything but.

If you're happy with the headphone output, why change? If you're not then fair enough.
If you do want to try to improve things with an external amp, make sure you buy from somewhere with a decent returns policy as it may make no real difference (other than in your initial perception).

Thanks and wise words. I'm bit of a tech/music lover so no setup is ever complete but I absolutely take your words on board - there's no point in buying something either just for the sake of it, or if it doesn't add any discernible improvement.

Thinking about it, my Dad has a headphone amp, so next time I see him I'll try it with my own cans (fully appreciating that there are so many variables in a setup - and his is very high end, particularly in comparison to mine) too see if i can hear (enough of) a difference.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Does this include any digital source, network sources etc? So the line 2 or 3 output can be used for a headphone amp?

Currently I'm using an ancient RX-V540 AV receiver and it doesn't pass audio from digital inputs out on the recorder outputs, only analog inputs. There's a digital output as well that passes the digital inputs (but not the analog inputs). The manual specifically mentions this.

The manual for the R-N602 doesn't mention any limitations so I would hope this is no longer a problem.

Does this include any digital source, network sources etc? So the line 2 or 3 output can be used for a headphone amp?

Currently I'm using an ancient RX-V540 AV receiver and it doesn't pass audio from digital inputs out on the recorder outputs, only analog inputs. There's a digital output as well that passes the digital inputs (but not the analog inputs). The manual specifically mentions this.

The manual for the R-N602 doesn't mention any limitations so I would hope this is no longer a problem.
I have a minidisc recorder connected to line 2 and just tried the majority of my sources.
All of these record fine on to my MD recorder with no issues or DRM complaints.

Network sources:
Spotify connect
Internet Radio
FLAC files via NAS

Analogue Inputs:
Turntable via the "phono" input
Turntable via "Line 1" (through an external preamp)
CD (via "CD" analog input)

Digital Inputs:
CD (via "coax 2" digital input)
My TV (connected via "optical 1" digital input)

I don't have Qobuz, Tidal or the FM aerial connected so can't vouch for those but everything that comes out of my speakers also comes out of the line out.

@hmoff Did you mean to copy & paste your original question?

Not sure how that happened, but I was posting on my phone.

Thanks for checking out the recording for me, much appreciated.

Can you also tell me if connecting headphones on the front panel disables the speaker output or not? I would like to leave my headphones connected all the time, but on my old AV receiver the speakers are always disabled while the headphones are plugged in.

The manual for the R-N602 says "When listening with headphones, turn off the speakers", which suggests you have to turn them off yourself, which is good.

Last edited:
Not sure how that happened, but I was posting on my phone.
Thanks for checking out the recording for me, much appreciated.
No worries, it was easy enough to check.

Can you also tell me if connecting headphones on the front panel disables the speaker output or not?
Sorry, this is the one thing I can't check - I don't think I have anything with a 1/4" plug. The only wired headphones I have are 1/8".

From what I can see in the manual it doesn't turn off the speakers when you plug headphones in.

Page 21 at this link talks about the speaker A & B buttons and says "When listening with headphones, turn off the speakers". At worst it would be one button press on either the amp itself or the remote.

https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/1/793541/web_VDE2250_R-N602_om_AB_En_D0.pdf

Page 21 at this link talks about the speaker A & B buttons and says "When listening with headphones, turn off the speakers". At worst it would be one button press on either the amp itself or the remote.

That would be ideal, as I can leave the headphones connected and just switch the speakers on or off with the remote. If not then I would have to use a headphone amp on the line outputs (hence my other question).

From what I can see in the manual it doesn't turn off the speakers when you plug headphones in.

I bought the 803D, and argh, connecting the headphones does mute the speakers, and pressing the speaker buttons shows the message "Not available".

Damn. I guess I'll need an external headphone amp to fix this.

It looks like the manual for the 803D contradicts itself. At one point it says "When listening with headphones, turn off the speakers" which makes it seem like an optional choice. In the troubleshooting it lists headphones being plugged in as a reason for there being no sound from the speakers.

Is there a reason for keeping the headphones connected? Wouldn't plugging them in when needed be a simpler and less expensive option than buying an external amp?

Is there a reason for keeping the headphones connected? Wouldn't plugging them in when needed be a simpler and less expensive option than buying an external amp?

It's just a bit of a nuisance to do regularly in my setup. The headphone amp will sound better in theory too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom