Question Yamaha R-N602 and speakers

oldschooly

Novice Member
Hi, Im new here and I don't have any technical knowledge about amps, speakers and ohms. So please bear with me.

I'm in the process of buying the Yamaha R-N602 because it appears to be the best value for money and has all the connecttions i need.

I already have a pair of new'ish Cambridge Audio SX-50s . They are 8 ohms and was wondering if they would be ok to use with the R-N602? Without causing any issue to the new amp or speakers.

I also have a old pair of Technic speakers from the SB-HD50A (pic attached). These are 6ohms. Are these ok to use with the R-N602 and either a single pair or a second pair combined with the Cambridge Audio SX-50s.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1554108776_1403.jpg
    1554108776_1403.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 28

oldschooly

Novice Member
Both those pair of speakers would work but you should only use on pair with that amp.
Thankyou Password1

I'm assuming its advisable to use 2 sets of speakers with the sames ohms preferably 6ohms?

I'm trying my best to become au fait with audio tech, and from what I can gage from forums and reviews, is that the lower ohm speakers are suitable tor an R-N602 amp.

password1

ideally only use one pair. 6 ohms means giving the amp a 3 ohm load. speakers drop to lower at certain frequencies. if a 6 ohm nominal speaker drops to 3 ohms the 2 pairs drop to 1 ..5 ohms.

you're straining the amp.

gibbsy

It's best to just use one pair of speakers with any amp. Doubling up on speakers will easily push the amp to it's limits and there is really no benefit in employing four speakers for a stereo signal. Speakers are the most important part of any set up and you should go for the best pair you can afford.

oldschooly

Novice Member
ideally only use one pair. 6 ohms means giving the amp a 3 ohm load. speakers drop to lower at certain frequencies. if a 6 ohm nominal speaker drops to 3 ohms the 2 pairs drop to 1 ..5 ohms.

you're straining the amp.
Thanks, looks like i need to do some research into the formula for working out ohms.

oldschooly

Novice Member
It's best to just use one pair of speakers with any amp. Doubling up on speakers will easily push the amp to it's limits and there is really no benefit in employing four speakers for a stereo signal. Speakers are the most important part of any set up and you should go for the best pair you can afford.
ok, in that case I'll stick to using my Cambridge Audio SX-50s (8 ohm speakers) with the Yamaha R-N602, and when I do so i'll select the 8 ohm setting on the amp as per the attachment.

And if i use the old Technics SB-HD50A (6 ohm speakers), then i'll select the 4 ohm setting on the amp, as per the attachment.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 16.32.53.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 16.32.53.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 21

deepbeep

The RN602 has outputs for 2 pairs of speakers - switchable A/B (or both). Are you guys saying that it's inadvisable to use this functionality? Or were you just unaware that it had two pairs of speakers outputs?

password1

The RN602 is a stereo 2 channel unit. Its inadvisable to use 2 pairs of different speakers, especially with different ohms.

If you need to use 2 pairs, go for at least 8 ohms nominal or higher but it will strain the amp. make it work harder, get warmer/hotter when pushed loud.

8 ohm speakers will typically drop to 3.5-4 ohms.

If you're using two pairs of 8 ohm nominal speakers, the combined load is 4 ohms nominal but will drop as low as 1.5-2 ohms combined at certain frequencies. Not ideal.

oldschooly

Novice Member
The RN602 is a stereo 2 channel unit. Its inadvisable to use 2 pairs of different speakers, especially with different ohms.

If you need to use 2 pairs, go for at least 8 ohms nominal or higher but it will strain the amp. make it work harder, get warmer/hotter when pushed loud.

If you're using two pairs of 8 ohm nominal speakers, the combined load is 4 ohms nominal but will drop as low as 1.5-2 ohms combined at certain frequencies. Not ideal.
Interesting reading. Also, it makes me wonder why amps with outputs for 2 pairs of speakers include the option to play A+B speaker set at the same time.

If Yamaha wanted someone to play A+B speakers simultaneously then what would be there advisable choices of speaker type to use without causing issues?

deepbeep

Ok, interesting.

Nb, They show this setup in the manual with no caveats about using 8 ohms, etc etc.

It makes sense that the power would be strained, although presumably most people are using one at a time (eg driving speakers in different rooms) which would be absolutely fine.

1611500174851.png

password1

If you use two pairs of 8 ohms nominal or higher speakers, select the 4ohm setting on the amp. It will work but will be more strain on the amp.

Most amps will give a range of compatible impedences, eg something like 6 to 16 or 4 to 16 or 4 to 8ohms.

Some amps have the option of using either A or B allowing you to switch speakers in different rooms. Some people use them to biwire although biwire is a waste of time imo.

If you're looking at 2 pairs in the same room to better fill the room, I suggest larger speakers instead of 2 pairs of smaller speakers.Stereo music is recommended on 1 pair of speakers.

gibbsy

Interesting reading. Also, it makes me wonder why amps with outputs for 2 pairs of speakers include the option to play A+B speaker set at the same time.

If Yamaha wanted someone to play A+B speakers simultaneously then what would be there advisable choices of speaker type to use without causing issues?
It was an option for using a different speakers in another room and that was the only positive side of it. A stereo amp is just what is says on the tin. Most high end amp manufacturers do not use an A+B option and just support a stereo pair. Technics may prove the exception to the rule.

password1

An anology would be a car fully laden to its limit and towing a caravan at maximum payload vs a car with 1 passenger. Just go easier on speed humps and struggle a bit more on certain terrains for hills It'll likely be fine in both cases but more strain in the former. If you load the car to much more than the maximum payload I'm sure the car will still move, just not ideal.

deepbeep

If you use two pairs of 8 ohms nominal or higher speakers, select the 4ohm setting on the amp. It will work but will be more strain on the amp.

Most amps will give a range of compatible impedences, eg something like 6 to 16 or 4 to 16 or 4 to 8ohms.

Some amps have the option of using either A or B allowing you to switch speakers in different rooms. Some people use them to biwire although biwire is a waste of time imo.

If you're looking at 2 pairs in the same room to better fill the room, I suggest larger speakers instead of 2 pairs of smaller speakers.Stereo music is recommended on 1 pair of speakers.
Yes, I assume the point would be for different rooms and you would use one or the other 99% of the time.

deepbeep

An anology would be a car fully laden to its limit and towing a caravan at maximum payload vs a car with 1 passenger. Just go easier on speed humps and struggle a bit more on certain terrains for hills It'll likely be fine in both cases but more strain in the former. If you load the car to much more than the maximum payload I'm sure the car will still move, just not ideal.
Or the analogy would be a car shared with two people, but they are rarely both in the car at the same time.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom