Yamaha R-N402D with JBL Stage A180 noise floor/hiss

sunnybirch

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently got JBL Stage A180 speakers and Yamaha R-N402D stereo receiver. Everything works great, except one "annoying" problem: there is a slight hiss noise coming from speaker tweeters (while nothing is playing and volume set to minimum).
These are R-N402D specifications:
Minimum RMS output power (40 Hz to 20 kHZ, 0.2% THD, 8ohm) 100 W + 100W
Dynamic power per channel (IHF) (8/6/4/2 ohm) 125/150/165/180 W
Maximum powr per channel (1 Khz, 0.7%THD, 4 Ohm) 115 W
IEC power (1 Khz, 0.2% THD, 8 Ohm) 110 W
Damping factor (Speakers A) 1KHz 8 Ohm, 120 or more
Maximum effective output power (1 Khz, 10% THD, 8Ohm) 140 W
Total harmonic distortion CD, etc. to Speakers out (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 50W 8Ohm) 0.2% or less

When i change the input source to CD - hiss is audible, When switched to Optical / Coax - the hiss is gone, theres just a slight high pitched noise (almost non hearable).

I'm thinking to exchange for Yamaha R-N602 (much better specs, better THD anod noise floor, 0.04%THD 8Ohm, CD to Speakers out 50W 0.015% or less)).
Any owners of 402 or 602 that experienced similar hiss noise from speaker tweeters?
Or which receiver/amplifier can be recommended for JBL Stage A180 (that doesnt produce hiss or noise)? :)
Thank you.

None of that should be audible in a competently designed amplifier. It's one thing if you're sitting between the speakers near-field at a desk, but it's entirely another if they're 3m across the room especially considering that we're talking about a small 2.5way floor-stander and not some high efficiency horn loaded beast - They are renowned for magnifying the noise floor of noisy electronics.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot about the way Yamaha publish their specs that can reliably inform you if the 602 or even 803 will fare any better - The 803 fell short of it's claimed 100dB dynamic range unless you used pure direct mode, so you have the choice of the YPAO room EQ you paid for, or a silent background....

However, if it's not audible when you start playing music, is it really an issue? I can't see any feature crammed 2-channel receiver faring much better as they will all suffer similar compromises at a give price level.

Russ

The hiss is audible only from cca 20 cm distance from speakers. Not much of a hiss, but some are sensitive to that :) Im thinking of leaving this Yamaha RN402 as a streamer, then use Topping PA5 as amplifier - the only problem is RCA line out on Yamaha and Topping PA5 has TRS input only.

The hiss is audible only from cca 20 cm distance from speakers
...20cm and under, I presume? I don't think you have a problem.

Is the hiss the same when the CD player line-out is disconnected from the amp?

20 cm and under, yes. Nothing is connected to CD-player line.
When i switch Input to Optical - the hiss is gone. Input to Coax - hiss is gone. When i switch Input to CD or Line 1 - the hiss is audible from cca 20 cm and under.

The hiss is audible only from cca 20 cm distance from speakers. Not much of a hiss, but some are sensitive to that :) Im thinking of leaving this Yamaha RN402 as a streamer, then use Topping PA5 as amplifier - the only problem is RCA line out on Yamaha and Topping PA5 has TRS input only.
The gain structure of the Topping would likely lower the hiss as for a given volume the pre-amp section would have to be turned up louder and the noise floor left further below even with a single ended to balanced cable.

However, why not go the whole hog and get an E50 DAC and an iFi Zen Streamer a best the Yam in every single department?

Seems like a lot of trouble for something you can't hear unless you're in the one position that you don't listen to the system from!

Russ

E50 DAC + Ifi Zen Streamer + PA5 amplifier? Seems like a decent combo kit.
Only FM radio and Phono input missing, but that could be handled in another way.

Last edited:
Quick update: i've connected JBL STage A180 to old Denon AVR 3803 (pulled it out from dusty storage). Absolutely zero hiss from tweeters, very clean sound,
So, the problem is with Yamaha R-N402D. Hopefully R-N602 or R-N803 dont have that hissing noise.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom