Yamaha R-N402D with JBL Stage A180 noise floor/hiss

I recently got JBL Stage A180 speakers and Yamaha R-N402D stereo receiver. Everything works great, except one "annoying" problem: there is a slight hiss noise coming from speaker tweeters (while nothing is playing and volume set to minimum).
These are R-N402D specifications:
Minimum RMS output power (40 Hz to 20 kHZ, 0.2% THD, 8ohm) 100 W + 100W
Dynamic power per channel (IHF) (8/6/4/2 ohm) 125/150/165/180 W
Maximum powr per channel (1 Khz, 0.7%THD, 4 Ohm) 115 W
IEC power (1 Khz, 0.2% THD, 8 Ohm) 110 W
Damping factor (Speakers A) 1KHz 8 Ohm, 120 or more
Maximum effective output power (1 Khz, 10% THD, 8Ohm) 140 W
Total harmonic distortion CD, etc. to Speakers out (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 50W 8Ohm) 0.2% or less

When i change the input source to CD - hiss is audible, When switched to Optical / Coax - the hiss is gone, theres just a slight high pitched noise (almost non hearable).

I'm thinking to exchange for Yamaha R-N602 (much better specs, better THD anod noise floor, 0.04%THD 8Ohm, CD to Speakers out 50W 0.015% or less)).
Any owners of 402 or 602 that experienced similar hiss noise from speaker tweeters?
Or which receiver/amplifier can be recommended for JBL Stage A180 (that doesnt produce hiss or noise)? :)
Thank you.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
None of that should be audible in a competently designed amplifier. It's one thing if you're sitting between the speakers near-field at a desk, but it's entirely another if they're 3m across the room especially considering that we're talking about a small 2.5way floor-stander and not some high efficiency horn loaded beast - They are renowned for magnifying the noise floor of noisy electronics.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot about the way Yamaha publish their specs that can reliably inform you if the 602 or even 803 will fare any better - The 803 fell short of it's claimed 100dB dynamic range unless you used pure direct mode, so you have the choice of the YPAO room EQ you paid for, or a silent background....

However, if it's not audible when you start playing music, is it really an issue? I can't see any feature crammed 2-channel receiver faring much better as they will all suffer similar compromises at a give price level.

Russ

The hiss is audible only from cca 20 cm distance from speakers. Not much of a hiss, but some are sensitive to that :) Im thinking of leaving this Yamaha RN402 as a streamer, then use Topping PA5 as amplifier - the only problem is RCA line out on Yamaha and Topping PA5 has TRS input only.

20 cm and under, yes. Nothing is connected to CD-player line.
When i switch Input to Optical - the hiss is gone. Input to Coax - hiss is gone. When i switch Input to CD or Line 1 - the hiss is audible from cca 20 cm and under.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
The hiss is audible only from cca 20 cm distance from speakers. Not much of a hiss, but some are sensitive to that :) Im thinking of leaving this Yamaha RN402 as a streamer, then use Topping PA5 as amplifier - the only problem is RCA line out on Yamaha and Topping PA5 has TRS input only.
The gain structure of the Topping would likely lower the hiss as for a given volume the pre-amp section would have to be turned up louder and the noise floor left further below even with a single ended to balanced cable.

However, why not go the whole hog and get an E50 DAC and an iFi Zen Streamer a best the Yam in every single department?

Seems like a lot of trouble for something you can't hear unless you're in the one position that you don't listen to the system from!

Russ

E50 DAC + Ifi Zen Streamer + PA5 amplifier? Seems like a decent combo kit.
Only FM radio and Phono input missing, but that could be handled in another way.

Last edited:
Quick update: i've connected JBL STage A180 to old Denon AVR 3803 (pulled it out from dusty storage). Absolutely zero hiss from tweeters, very clean sound,
So, the problem is with Yamaha R-N402D. Hopefully R-N602 or R-N803 dont have that hissing noise.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom