Yamaha Presense vs. Audyssey DSX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Webmonkey, Aug 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Webmonkey

Webmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi guys!

I am considering jumping either on Marantz AV8801 or Yamaha CX-A5000 processor this autumn, but before I do, I would love to hear about people experience with their options for "expansion" to 11ch sound.

Both DSC and Presence, seems to do something similar, but I am a bit worried that Yamaha's solution will add to much "reverb" to the sound field - especially if it "messes" with the centre channel also.

If anyone have experience with both system, I will be a happy listener.

Cheers!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869

Neither system would effect actual discrete channels and these are output unadulterated. The DSP is in relation to the creation of additional pseudo channels that are output via the additional speakers. The main difference between the Audyssey offering and that of Yamaha is that Audyssey can propagate a pseudo height channels while the Yamaha presence speakers are more orientated towards creating added depth and atmosphere. Many people appear to have foregone height speakers in favour of additional width speakers even when using the Audyssey DSX. The whole height thing seems to have been a bit of a fad?

Note that Yamaha presence DSP is very customisable and you'll have settings that will alter the expansion of sound to your particular tastes.

You may find this thread of interest:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...gic-iiz-audessy-dsx-must-have-must-avoid.html

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  3. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Like anything, this is going to be mostly down to personal preference - although speaker placement and proper setup/calibration will obviously play a part.

Many people suggest that Surround Back speakers are pointless, some say they are only worth it in very large rooms. I've probably got one of the 'biggest' systems in the smallest room of anyone on the forum and, while my system sounds great with just 5 speakers, I prefer using Surround Backs. Even though I've used various Dipole speakers on the sides, there is no way that any of them can convincingly produced sound from behind me. I can understand not using Surround Back speakers if the seating position is right up against the back wall (or extremely close to it) but I always find it strange that many people are so quick to pass them off as being pointless. I would recommend trying it for yourself (if possible) to see what you prefer, because I do feel that it adds a worthwhile difference.

I'd love to try Wide and Height speakers in my room to find out what difference they would make, but it isn't easy fitting in a pair of Height speakers that will match my Fronts adequately and my room just isn't big enough for Wides. As said previously I think that any benefits will be somewhat down to placement of the speakers and also the setup/calibration. For example, a lot of people seem to be unhappy with speakers placed below a large projector screen, saying that the sound is too low and doesn't match the picture. But with my speakers placed below the screen and angled up, I have a very convincing soundstage and not once have I felt that the sound didn't integrate properly - even though I sit just 2m away.

While I would be inclined to go with the Marantz and Audyssey DSX, Yamaha have included the option of using Front Height Presence speakers on various models over the past 20 years, so they should have improved and refined them enough to offer decent results. Maybe that's why other companies suggest that wides are the better of the two options.

4. Webmonkey

Webmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a small 4x4 room for my cinema. In spring I added rear surround speakers , running in 6.1 mode. My processor has this "6.1 compatibility" mode that manages to throw some mono signal from the left/right rear into the back, wastly expanding the envelopement. Some years ago, I was using full range floorspeakers for the rear channel - moving to smaller flat speakers mounted close to the ceiling made a big improvement in regards to feeling enveloped by sound - so much for theory vs reality :)