1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha or Pioneer..?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by redlester, Nov 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any comments on the Yamaha RXV396RDS receiver? I'm after a receiver in the under £150 range and was all set on the Pioneer VSXC100, but noticed that Vickers HiFi are doing the Yamaha for £185, which I could just about stretch to if it can be justified.

Will I gain much quality-wise from going for the Yamaha, or is the Pioneer going to be just as good for a fair bit less? Or any other recommendations in that price range?

Speakers will be Tannoy FX5.1, in a small room, at low to medium volume most of the time, and used for DVD/Television rather than music/CD's.

2. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think the Yamaha is now discontinued, which isn't really an obstacle if you're certain it's what you want.

You might want to take a look at the Pioneer VSX-C301 which weighs in at £159 from Richer Sounds. It's a slimline model and works very well in a small room (manufacturer states 6x75w). It has all the bells and whistles you would expect (though no 5.1 analog inputs).

Married to my Canton speakers it produces great sound at all volumes. I use the Midnight mode if it's very late and that works a treat.

Richer Sounds also have some Yamaha receivers on their page which you might want to look at.

3. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did notice that, yes. Is the 301 noticeably better sound than the 100? The 301 only has SCART inputs for analogue, and I will be feeding it from the phono outputs of my TV - although I realise I can easily use phono>SCART lead nevertheless it seems odd not to have any phono analogue inputs at all.

The reason I ask about the Yamaha is because I'm going to pick my speakers up from that particular shop, and noticing the reduced price wondered if I might as well get the receiver from there to save time & effort. I don't think they do Pioneer stuff.