1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha or Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Me, Mar 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am looking for some advice in regard to buying a new amp. I want to join the EX club but can not make up my mind between two amps Yamaha AX1 or Denon 3802. They can both be had for roughly the same price,the Yamaha being slightly more, but I have always held Yamaha kit in high regard.Can the Denon 3802 compete with the AX1.I am not a all interested in Pro logic 2. The Yamaha seems to have far more speaker and room sound ajustments but is now becoming a bit dated.
    Any ideas or views would be gratefully recieved.
    Mark:D

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Without a doubt, the Yamaha AX1 is the better amp, by a long chalk. The only let down is a lack of Pro Logic 2 (which you aren't interested in anyway), and single rear speaker output. The rest of the amp more than makes up for it, however, and you can wire two speakers to the single terminal if you wish. The Denon 3802 is a good amp, but within its class. The AX1 is a couple of rungs up on the 3802, and you can hear it.

Russell

3. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I really don't think the AX1 is a few more rungs up the ladder than the 3802, not at all. I own neither of these systems but listened to both when I was researching my own amp upgrade and if anything the 3802 sounded much more commanding with both films and music (especially with music). Again this is a personal thing, everybody’s ears are different but to say "without doubt" the AX1 is the better amp is quite a sweeping statement that doesn't hold water as far as I’m concerned.

Better to tootle off too the nearest demo room and have a listen yourself.

Cheers

Dave

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Having been a Yamaha fan for many years(2070,3090,A2) I recently moved over to denon, and have no regrets, infact I should have done it a while ago. The denon is so much more a quality amp at movies and music. The 3801 I swapped for the A2 is just the business.

But listen for yourself.

5. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks THX 1138.
    I am having real trouble at the moment. I have listened to all three Yamaha AX1, AX2 Denon3802. They all cost about the same give or take a few quid, and I can not make my mind up. The Denon is the most up to date. Should I go for it because it will probably have better processing. The Yamaha AX1 has many more sound ajustments.The AX2 seems to be on paper, the same as the Denon3802, but cheaper.I know the Yamaha can be driven hard on all channels without any problems.Can the Denon cope with all seven channels driven hard.
    Mark

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    The yamaha does not have as many real set up options than the denon. Also unless you want all those horrid dsp programmes then I would say listen to both the 3802 and the AX1, and make your mind up.

7. kalbe_y2k

kalbe_y2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I would say that if you are interested in EX, and ES amps I would suggest you should have a demo not only the AX1 but please have a demo on the Denon AVC-A1SE and the Yamaha DSP-AZ1. I would say these two amps have so many additional fantasy's built in these two amps.

The Yamaha AX1 (which I own) is very very sweet on music. But seen the AZ1, I feel like I have not justified for the money I spent. Please do have a demo of these two amps as well

Cheers
    Kalbe:)