1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha or Denon??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Soundless, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Soundless

Soundless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Folks

Great forum - I have found it fascinating and very informative.

I have done quite a bit of searching but I can't seem to find an answer to my question and would appreciate any help available.

I am just about to take my first foray into Home Cinema. My 15 year old 22" square set is destined for the bin and I am about to buy the Panasonic th37pe50 37" plasma screen. I want to get a sound system to match. The room is quite large (25' x 17') and I am assuming I will need to spend a few £££ on the necessary sound system but it has to blend into the background. The TV will sit offset in the room and I am inclined to get a system with the autoset-up microphone. I have looked at BOSE but they seem very expensive, Yamaha have the DVX-S250 which gets a great write up this month in What Home Cinema, but it doesn't offer progressive scan (would I know the difference). The other obvious choice is the Denon DHT-500SD which everyone raves about - but can it automatically set itself up?

I would be prepared to spend about £400 - total of £1500 or so for my new home cinema environment.

Please help a poor soul who has spent over a year negotiating with my wife to get this far, this could be my last chance!

2. Denzel

Denzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:
    I have had the dht-500sd system for a month now and am very pleased with it. I did a quite a lot of research before I bought it and according to different reviews and forums it´s much value for the money. For TV and dvd it is brillliant but if you as me want to use it for music it´s only ok. I´m thinking of replacing the front speakers with better ones to use it for music. Then you can use the replaced speakers for back surround and make it a 7.1 system, you just need another amplifier as well. I had an old one that I used for stereo that I think will work just fine, the speakers are not hard to run.
    Anyway as I think u heared by now I can absolutely reccomend the dht-500.

Cheers! /Denzel

3. Soundless

Soundless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Denzel,

Thanks for the reply. Was the Denon difficult to set up. I like the idea of other units which can be set up with a microphone. My configuration will have the TV in one corner of the side of a rectangle and I sit on the opposite side of the rectangle in the middle - if that makes sense. I am worried about how to set up the surround sound for movies.

Thanks

Soundless (and tuneless according to my wife)

4. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
  5. Soundless

Soundless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Conn,

Really appreciate the help. So the DHT500-SD allows you to choose room size and shape and use an auto set-up of sorts. I was afraid I was going to need expertise to do this. I think I am sold on the Denon now..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now to really push my luck. Please see link below of my room layout.
    Room Layout

Where do I locate the speakers? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I assume D for centre, and was thinking of C&E for front. with I&F for rear or maybe A&F for rear pair. Locations J&K are in a bay, the roof is lower here by about a foot than in the rest of the room.

All help appeciated :lease:

PS If this should be in a seperate thread please move.

Attached Files:

6. Denzel

Denzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, I think it will be hard to make a good sound with the plasma in that position to where you sit. If you would move the plasma between b-c or move "your chair" between g-f it would be much easier but that maybe would´nt be nicelooking.

I think it´s never good to set up speakers with mic or automatic functions. There are so many things to consider (especially if you going to have the system diagonally) and no "robot" can do that for you. If you think it is hard ask a friend that ain´t "tuneless" ;). Sometimes people from the store can help you if you buy your system from there place.

Cheers! /Denzel

7. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The only real way to do it is get it and play :cool:

You are not going to be dissapointed with the quality (denon). You can set each speaker up individually....and if you are going to keep that room lay out, you are going to have to ;) It really is easy, honest. No scredrivers involved :)

8. Soundless

Soundless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks guys

I'll let you know how I get on with the installation.

Don't know delivery times with the kit.

No doubt after the kit arrives I will need some help, so expect to see me soon :) :)

9. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will definately see the difference with progressive scan - the difference in picture quality, colour depth is fantastic.

I just went progressive scan with my plasma and the sony dav-700 about 6 weeks ago and i was astounded how much of an improvement it was on dvd titles such as I Robot, Terminator and Robots.....

good luck with the purchase.

10. Soundless

Soundless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Darren