Yamaha NX-SW30 Subwoofer connectivity help!

Msieurjon

Novice Member
Hi all, I need help please.

I was given this subwoofer yesterday. I understand it was part of a (quite old now) Yamaha sound system (AVC-30: Yamaha AVC-30 Audio Video Control Integrated Amplifier Manual | HiFi Engine).

My question is: can I use this on my receiver (Denon AVR-X2100W)? Behind the subwoofer are 2 connectors: a coaxial and some kind of jack that says "system connector". See picture.

I have the bad feeling that it can only be used with the original system, but if someone can either prove me wrong or tell me that it can somehow be by-passed, I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• 22052391766957_459.jpg
    22052391766957_459.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 19

Zombie Twin

Just using the phono-level input should be fine for pretty rudimentary use. Both are there to allow flexibility, but the system one is obviously more specific.

I had the same thing recently, where an old sub which was clearly part of a system was bought to use standalone. I just made sure I didn't run it too high/hard when starting out so as to not cause serious problems. Proceed with caution, certainly!

Last edited:

Msieurjon

Novice Member
Thank you. I tried a dedicated subwoofer cable to no avail. The receiver does not detect it apparently. I can't check that the subwoofer is powered as there is no light on it... I see the plug has a fuse - do these go bad often?

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi all, I need help please.

I was given this subwoofer yesterday. I understand it was part of a (quite old now) Yamaha sound system (AVC-30: Yamaha AVC-30 Audio Video Control Integrated Amplifier Manual | HiFi Engine).

My question is: can I use this on my receiver (Denon AVR-X2100W)? Behind the subwoofer are 2 connectors: a coaxial and some kind of jack that says "system connector". See picture.

I have the bad feeling that it can only be used with the original system, but if someone can either prove me wrong or tell me that it can somehow be by-passed, I'd appreciate it.

That sub is clearly meant to be used with the system it came with. In the manual it shows clearly that there is the sub pre out and also system connector at the amp side which both are required. The sub itself doesn´t have volume, crossover (hz), phase knobs. All is controlled in the menu of the amp where the sub would be connected. Considering this is 16 years old, 50w amp with 6,5" driver that is found on most bookshelf speakers these days i would give it back to who you got it from. Most people wouldn´t call that even subwoofer.

If you can spend 149£ you will get new sub with 10" driver, 150w amp and 2year amp warranty. Four finishes to choose from.

Msieurjon

Novice Member
Here is the answer I was given by Yamaha:

"With regards to your question, our NX-SW30 is only designed to be used with the AVC-30 as a complete system, as the system control cable supplies the power ON and power OFF command to the subwoofer, without the main unit the subwoofer will not switch ON."

Reading it, I think there must be a simple way of bypassing this connection to keep the subwoofer powered (knowing that it also has a 240V plug)? It is plugged with a coaxial cable so I think it gets the signal for the speaker?

Anyone?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom