1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha NS-E105 Effect/Rears

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Woolies Boy, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any experience of these speakers? They seem to have been around for ages but can't find out much about them. I've seen them advertised for £30-40 new and they are listed on the Yamaha site at £110 so they look like great value on paper.

Thanks,

WB

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard some of the Yamaha rear surround speakers, although i'm not sure if these are them - cann you find a picture anmd i'll let you know.

3. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's pictures on the Yamaha UK site.

Here

WB

4. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, these are the one's I have heard and I was impressed with them, I didn't buy them in the end because of their colour and finish not matching my room but I definately would have otherwise. It was some time ago but IMO at the price you have quoted they are worth it.

5. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found a review in What hifi, they got 4 stars "Highly Recommended in the 97 awards, Full and pwerful sound

Buy them ASAP

6. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info. I was considering two pairs of missions but I might go for these now and save a few pennies.

Thanks,

WB

7. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a pair of these before,and now i've got the Missions (7ds).IMO..i think the missions are better,they provide a fuller rear soundfield.they matched my Mission fronts aswell(very noticable)

8. nbn

nbn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where did u see these speakers 4 sale. iv looked everywhere for them.

9. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I use the NS-E105's for my rears...

They are perhaps not the last word in high fidelity, but when you consider in most (not all) movies the rears have fairly little to do compared with the other speakers, with just the odd bit of background music or effect, then as far as I'm concerned, they do the job just fine. I did have a much more expensive pair of speakers doing the job of rears (quite some time ago now), but can't really say 'downgrading' to the Yamahas has really had much effect to the overall sound.

So why did I change? Quite simply it was a case of we moved to a much smaller house where I couldn't have huge stand-mounters sitting behind the sofa for surround effects. The NS-E105s matched perfectly with the house decor and since they are wall-mounted are barely noticeable.

For the price you have got there, buy them instantly, you really can't go far wrong! It just depends what's important to you - yes they are bettered by £200+ speakers, but I personally feel that the law of diminishing returns kicks in very early in the case of rears - I'd rather spend my money on centre, sub or main speakers!
    :)

10. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They've sold. I tracked a pair down but they've gone now. I've made a few calls this morning and it looks like they're all gone. Looks like I'll stick with my Contol 1's (not pretty but very functional) for now and wait for some cheap missions to come up.

Thanks to all for the info.

WB

11. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  12. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both of those and PRC Direct. I'm waiting for a call back from Hi-Way which would be ideal as I'll be driving past them tomorrow. I'll let you know how they sound if manage to get some.

Thanks,

WB

13. Woolies Boy

Woolies Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up a pair from Hi-Way on Friday for £39.99 and then went back today to buy their last display pair. Sound is reasonable although the Missions and Eltax Bi/dipoles I've heard easily better them. However, they are visually very discrete and for under £40 a pair they're unbeatable.

WB