Yamaha musicCast

Edgie70

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all , I have a Yamaha sound bar and I'm looking at buying 2 musiccast separate speakers to go in the same room to make a surround sound system , I presume they connect together via WiFi ???
Also as they will be in the same room will I get any major audio delay ??
Thanks

Assuming you have confirmed the MusicCast Soundbar you have is able to be paired with the other MusicCast speakers you are considering to form a Surround Sound system there will be no issue and yes they connect on a wireless connection.

Not all MusicCast devices can be paired to be used to create a Surround Sound system - many are designed for multi-room use.

Joe

MusicCast Surround enabled devices are listed on this page - MusicCast - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Thanks Joe , my sound bar is a YAS 306 and I'm looking at the wx-010 speakers to put in the same room in the corners opposite the bar to give sound behind us

Not convinced that pairing offers you MusicCast Surround mode - you may have to consider a different Yamaha Soundbar if you want to pair rear speakers for Surround sound.

Joe

Not convinced that pairing offers you MusicCast Surround mode - you may have to consider a different Yamaha Soundbar if you want to pair rear speakers for Surround sound.

Joe
Thanks Joe , I've spoke to Yamaha in London and they say they will pair but I'll only get the same sound from the bar through the two wx-010 speakers , not exactly surround sound but definitely sound from behind me , guy at richer sounds also said some people wire hifi with four speakers two front , two rear , not for surround but to widen the sound .

As in if you want surround sound get the correct kit - adding speakers behind you playing the same sound as the front Soundbar is far from ideal.

Some ‘HiFi’ folk will use a four speakers connected to a quadraphonic processor/amp for LP’s recorded with a specific sound track and prior to Yamaha releasing the original DSP processor some folk tried wiring out of phase loudspeakers along with the primary speakers to add ‘ambience’ to a room.

I guess you can try out the MusicCast multi room speakers in the same room and if you don’t like it you can set them up elsewhere in the house.

Joe

As in if you want surround sound get the correct kit - adding speakers behind you playing the same sound as the front Soundbar is far from ideal.

Some ‘HiFi’ folk will use a four speakers connected to a quadraphonic processor/amp for LP’s recorded with a specific sound track and prior to Yamaha releasing the original DSP processor some folk tried wiring out of phase loudspeakers along with the primary speakers to add ‘ambience’ to a room.

I guess you can try out the MusicCast multi room speakers in the same room and if you don’t like it you can set them up elsewhere in the house.

Joe
I see what you mean , BUT if I only wanted to create a wider sound stage I'm presuming that this would do the job , I'm not after helicopters flying around the room , just a wider sound stage

Not sure what a ‘wider soundstage’ is but pretty sure you won’t achieve it adding speakers at the rear corners of your room :)

You generally aim to create a virtual ‘soundstage’ across the front of your room for music and movies, you can then add side, rear or immersive (overhead) effects channels if you have a suitable processor.

Some AVR will offer ‘all channel stereo’ mode, which is possibly closest to what you are aiming for with your setup, it’s OK but does require specific processing which simply adding two additional zones in one room is not going to recreate.

It would be good to see a plan or pic of your room/room layout.

Joe

Not sure what a ‘wider soundstage’ is but pretty sure you won’t achieve it adding speakers at the rear corners of your room :)

You generally aim to create a virtual ‘soundstage’ across the front of your room for music and movies, you can then add side, rear or immersive (overhead) effects channels if you have a suitable processor.

Some AVR will offer ‘all channel stereo’ mode, which is possibly closest to what you are aiming for with your setup, it’s OK but does require specific processing which simply adding two additional zones in one room is not going to recreate.

It would be good to see a plan or pic of your room/room layout.

Joe
Really appreciate your input Joe
Please excuse the drawing lol
I'm going to put the speakers at either 1 , 2 or 3
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_191252__01.jpg
    IMG_20211128_191252__01.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 28
Your sketch is fine - looks like one of mine :)

Your Soundbar is one of Yamahas ‘front’ bars with stereo and basic surround mode but none of the advanced steering options the more advanced YSP units offer.

With the unit mounted across a corner I usually find stereo mode is the best option and personably I would not be trying to add the multi room speakers anywhere in the room.

Joe

Your sketch is fine - looks like one of mine :)

Your Soundbar is one of Yamahas ‘front’ bars with stereo and basic surround mode but none of the advanced steering options the more advanced YSP units offer.

With the unit mounted across a corner I usually find stereo mode is the best option and personably I would not be trying to add the multi room speakers anywhere in the room.

Joe
Ah right , here was me hoping you would say 1 and 2 positions lol
If I did get the speakers and placed them at 1 and 2 I presume it would give me a wider sound .

You would either use the additional speakers as two separate speakers or as a stereo pair (all playing the same source as the Soundbar.

If you were watching a TV show or Movie with a taking head on screen you will end up with the voice coming from two or three different points in your room, I can’t see why you would want that.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom