Quantcast

Yamaha MusicCast BAR 40 Soundbar System Review & Comments

Dave777

Great review Steve, and posting at 8am on New Years day is above and beyond the call of duty! Quiet night last night?!

Dunners

Is it cheaper to buy the MusicCast 400 soundbar + 2 x MusicCast 20's than the option you reviewed?

Also, I have been able to play Dolby True HD / DTS Master soundtracks via HDMI to the MusicCast 400 soundbar, even though it doesn't say it supports it in the manual. While it's technically a different bar from the one you tested, would you believe that it can receive lossless audio, down-convert it and play it?
There was no lip sync issues when I did this... so I'm wondering if the bar does actually play lossless audio? The MusicCast 50 rear speakers I have were certainly working to maximum effect while doing this (I tested this with Game Of Thrones Season 1 boxset).

Thoughts?

low-def.

Whats the difference between the 40 and the 400?

silversurfer24v

The 400 comes with a wireless sub, the 40 has a socket to use a wired sub or you can connect a wireless musiccast sub, according to the manuals nothing else is different

I bought the 40 and 2 musiccast 20 speakers and added a Yamaha sub I got of Amazon for £100, I am over the moon with the sound and effects ,it replaced a YSP 2200 that I could never get sounding right due to room shape

MovieFan60

Been looking at one of these to use with my LG C6 - anyone had any issues with lip-sync?

Would probably be using optical to hook up and freesat box, apple 4K tv and xbox connected to tv.

Am I correct in saying that there is no provision in the Yamaha's menu to adjust audio delay?

Thanks

Dunners

I have no lipsync issues with my MusicCast 400 - utilising both HDMI and optical.
I'm not using an LG C6 though... but so far, so good.

Timmy2wheels

Novice Member
Stuck on whether to get the Bar 400 and two 20s or the Bar 40, Sub 100 and two 20s. Is the Sub 100 significantly (£200) better than that supplied with the 400?

Also, how easy is it to switch between surround for TV and films to 2.1 stereo for music playback? The inability to completely mute the Sonos Beam in a similar Sonos arrangement is one of the reasons I won't go that route.

Last edited:

Dunners

If you want to use the rears as a 2.1 setup, then you'll need to go with the MusicCast Bar 40 and MusicCast 20's as the subwoofer on the MusicCast 400 isn't able to be de-coupled.
Un-pairing and re-pairing the Sub100 / MusicCast 20 takes about 15 -30 seconds respectively... so it's not a super quick process, but it is obviously able to be done.
The Sub100 does look to be a bit more powerful and offers a larger driver, so I'd guess that it would have a bit more ooomph.

Timmy2wheels

Novice Member
Ah, interesting - thanks for the heads-up! Shame the cheaper overall 400 system can't be decoupled though.

If Yamaha can get some presets into the software for saving various configurations within a group it becomes a very compelling proposition.

Killermio

Hi all
Can anyone help me.
Does anyone know how to factory reset my soundbar 40.
It's gone really quiet so some strange reason

Killermio

Hi
I just set up surround sound with 2 20s.
Some content sounds great with 3d sound enabled but the rears seem toned down.
Witch is better. On or off.

silversurfer24v

How are people now finding the Yamaha 400/40 now you have had them a while.

I am still very pleased that I bought it with the musiccast 20 speakers it sounds amazing, and watching Stranger Things the sound brought the screen alive and gave the other half a few shocks which was mildly amusing

asoksevil

I ended up choosing the BAR 40 over BAR 400 and YSP 2700. Main reasons because the BAR 40/400 are newer, support latest MusicCast 20 and 50 for rear speakers as oppose to the first generations.

In regard to BAR 40 vs 400, to me the integrated sub from 400 didn't make that much of a difference? But oh boy how noticeable it was with the SUB 100.

The whole setup of the BAR 40 plus SUB 100 and two rear MusicCast 20 is absolutely marvelous. I think for the price you pay (around £650-700, I got one MusicCast 20 for free due to Yamaha promotion) it is certainly one of the best in terms of value.

You may get better performance when you get the LG SK10Y or the new Samsung HW-N950 but they are £1,200 or more for the same setup which I did not consider it to be worthy.

The MusicCast integration with Spotify and newer devices you add is seamless and really like it. I don't use the remote and pretty much control it from my phone.