Yamaha MusicCast and Synology NAS

datz

Novice Member
There is a new feature in the latest version of the MusicCast app which lets you browse via Grid or List view. If I select Plex as the source server then this works. But with the Plex lack of gapless playback I rarely use Plex for audio. However if I select Synology NAS as the server it doesn't let me choose, only a simple folder list is available. I have my music in a shared folder "outside" the standard Synology Music folder, could this be the issue??
Any help appreciated!
thanks
David

Cebolla

Hi David

It's a common misconception that gapless playback support has anything to do with the UPnP/DLNA media server. Under standard UPnP/DLNA, it is the interaction between the UPnP/DLNA streamer and the UPnP/DLNA controller app that provides gapless support. So I'd be very surprised to hear that your Yamaha device is streaming gaplessly from the Synology's own UPnP/DLNA media server, but not from Plex's, when using the MusicCast app for control. Is this actually the case?

As far as your original issue is concerned, it's possible that the Synology NAS's built-in media server doesn't support UPnP media contents searches (which would return the info needed to build the grid view) and the Plex media server does. MinimServer is a decent music file dedicated UPnP/DLNA media server which supports UPnP contents search and can be installed on Synology NASs. It may worth testing with MinimServer to see if that too provides the grid view on the MusicCast app.

John

Last edited:

datz

Novice Member
Thanks John that's all very useful. I had installed MinimServer but then not used it. That works fine with grid view and gapless playback via MusicCast app. Also I have discovered a Synology app "DS" that accesses the NAS, has a decent GUI is available for iOS and Android and also streams gapless, so it seems (after googling) the Plex app not supporting gapless is a known issue, with many requests for an update. However Plex is used mainly as a video streamer so it's a low priority for development. For my own convenience I sometimes like to be able to play from my NAS directly on my iPad and Android phone, the DS Synology app seems to fit the bill.
Cheers
David

Cebolla

Ok, so it looks like the Synology media server not supporting UPnP media contents searching may well be the reason for the lack of the grid view on the MusicCast app.

I suppose a definitive test for a UPnP/DLNA media server's UPnP contents search support would be to use the BubbleUPnP Android app's manual search facility (in its Library section). It allows you to do text searches on its currently selected UPnP/DLNA media server, for matching track names, artists, albums, etc. If the UPnP/DLNA media server doesn't support UPnP media contents searching, a 'Not Supported' warning pop up box will appear the first time you try the BubbleUPnP app's manual search facility with that particular UPnP/DLNA media server.

I'm still a bit confused with you using Plex with regards the gapless playback issue. Those reports of Plex's lack of gapless support only appear to be for its built-in media player in the Plex client, that comes bundled in the Plex app for computers, Android and iOS devices; not forgetting the versions of it included in some smart TVs, DVRs, media streaming sticks, etc. Last time I checked, the Plex client app cannot be used as a UPnP/DLNA controller to control UPnP/DLNA streamers (like your Yamaha) to play music files from the Plex media server. The Plex client app can only be used to control its own Plex media player to stream media files from the Plex media server (plus online streaming services, etc).

So this has nothing to do with your Yamaha device playing gaplessly or not. It should still be able to play gaplessly when streaming music files from the Plex media server and using the MusicCast app (as it does with the Synology media server & MinimServer).

datz

Novice Member
I've installed Bubble (very impressed with the functionality of this) and selecting the Synology Media Server and trying a search results in the "Not Supported" message. I also get this with Plex selected. Only a search using MinimServer works. However all the apps (Bubble, Plex, DS) won't play gapless either on my phone or via the Yamaha, whichever Server I select, even MinimServer, and selecting the Plex server in MusicCast results in a "Can't play item" message, even though I can browse the contents. Gapless playback only works via the MusicCast app.

Sico Alg

Novice Member
Hi David and John,
I came across your posts and was glad to read that there seem to be a possibility to actually search for files on a NAS using the MusicCast app. Unfortunately your post was the only one I could find on this and so far I wasn’t able to manage it.

My MusicCast app only offers a very simple dialog that shows the music folders and files of the NAS in a simple list view. No search function so far. From what I read here, it is because my NAS's built-in media server does not support UPnP media contents searches. Is this correct? So if I get myself an appropriate media server the MusicCast app will offer a search function “automatically” that lists all search results in a grid or list view?

I am just a little bit curious because one of the most common negative posts on the MusicCast app is the missing search function. But maybe I only misunderstood your post and there is no way on how to search files with the MusicCast app.

Could you help me on this.

Thanks

Sico

Last edited:

Streamer16

Anyone who has a Windows PC that is always on when they are listening to music might like to try using Foobar2000 as their DLNA server. It supports gapless playback (with suitable files), and it also has a very fast search/list function that works fine with my NAS. You can install a remote controller on your Android device to operate it without having to use the Musiccast app at all (I dont know about Apple or Linux compatibility). It can also play just about any type of audio file, up to and including HDFlac/DSD/SACD/DVDAudio. It also supports replay gain and numerous other functions. And it's free.
It all works perfectly for me, and it is the only thing I have tried that actually does do everything I need.
The only caveat is that you do need a PC on all the time, but mine always is on so that's not a problem for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom