• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Yamaha MusicCast 20 WX-021 Wireless Speaker

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

Just after a quick bit of advice please.

I'm in the market for a small wireless speaker for bedroom duties for music when my daughters in the bath or getting ready in the mornings etc. & just wondered on opinions on the Yamaha MusicCast 20

It seems ok & at the moment is on sale at Peter Tyson for £170

From the blurb it seems to do all I need but just after real world opinions if anyone has one at all?

Thank you

Neil

NifkinFZ6

Established Member
It's good, but sounds much better if you buy two and set them up in stereo configuration, as I have done in my kitchen. Not the most open sound (compared to my £4k lounge system), but good detail and decent range. Overall I like the Musiccast ecosystem.

johnfryett

Established Member
I've got a couple of these. I use them separately and they're fine but would agree with NifkinFZ6 that they are great as a stereo pair. I also like the other elements of MusicCast - I have two of their streamers (WXC-50 and WXAD-10) connected to two decent hi-fi setups and the quality is impressive. Multi-room works particularly well.

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
Thank you both for the feedback, much appreciated

Will definitely look into one & then possibly adding a second

I currently have a Yamaha YSP2700 soundbar in the living room (which is admittedly terrible for music) so being able to use the musiccast feature upstairs will be nice :)

@johnfryett
I had hoped one day to grab myself one of Yamaha's Streamer Amps (WXA-50) as the basis of my living room setup for real hi-fi again but sadly size & layout means I'll be stuck to wireless all in speaker systems downstairs as well...but for that I was looking at pushing the boat out & going for a Naim Muso QB because it has full Optical input which means I could add a proper CD player for my CD collection but that's still a little off yet :)

Anyway, thanks again for the input much appreciated

Neil

NifkinFZ6

Established Member
I've got a couple of these. I use them separately and they're fine but would agree with NifkinFZ6 that they are great as a stereo pair. I also like the other elements of MusicCast - I have two of their streamers (WXC-50 and WXAD-10) connected to two decent hi-fi setups and the quality is impressive. Multi-room works particularly well.
I do similar: I use a WXC-50 in my main system for streaming and TV duties, the two MC 20s in the kitchen, and a MC ISX18 on the bedside table. The multi room is really cool and versatile: I remember even only 20 years ago you would have to pay a fortune and have cables all over the place to achieve the same result, and it wouldn't be as flexible!

One thing I would say, is if using an MC streaming device in a high-quality main system, it'd be better to go for the WXC-50 over the WXAD-10 as the former has a better implemented DAC. You can either use the WXC-50 in pre-amp mode into a power amp or into the HT bypass/AV direct input of an integrated, or you can use it in player mode, which you plug into the line level of an integrated like any other source component. Each configuration allows you a variation of options to suit your system. It's a nice looking little unit too.

Last edited:

johnfryett

Established Member
I do similar: I use a WXC-50 in my main system for streaming and TV duties, the two MC 20s in the kitchen, and a MC ISX18 on the bedside table. The multi room is really cool and versatile: I remember even only 20 years ago you would have to pay a fortune and have cables all over the place to achieve the same result, and it wouldn't be as flexible!

One thing I would say, is if using an MC streaming device in a high-quality main system, it'd be better to go for the WXC-50 over the WXAD-10 as the former has a better implemented DAC. You can either use the WXC-50 in pre-amp mode into a power amp or into the HT bypass/AV direct input of an integrated, or you can use it in player mode, which you plug into the line level of an integrated like any other source component. Each configuration allows you a variation of options to suit your system. It's a nice looking little unit too.
I’d agree with this. The WXAD-10 is very neat but is limited by having only analogue outputs and the lower resolution of its DAC. Having said that, it still sounds good. I have the WXC-50 connected to both analogue and digital inputs on my amp so I can use either depending on the source material.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom