Yamaha MusicCast 20 and 50 Wireless Speakers Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Phil Hinton, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,882
    2. Sir Oled

Sir Oled

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +235
      Nice review but can you connect the Musiccast 20 to a ysp 5600 ? if not in a future firmware update ?? How do compare them to Them WX-30 better sound ? Thanks :smashin:

3. Gordon2147

Gordon2147
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +17
      Hi Ed,

Thanks for the review, and as you mentioned in the review I am sure that the software will be updated to provide a smoother experience.

Whilst still on the slightly expensive side for surround sound, bearing in mind that you would have to buy at least 4 of them and a sub and a suitable receiver, MusicCast and these speakers are the start of what I believe to be a move to wireless surround, where you can pick the satellites up and use them as stand alones around the house as well as an immersive surround system for movies.

It says as much on the Music Cast page on the Yamaha website, only that the WX20's can be used as rears in a system that has either wired fronts or a soundbar, not as all the satellites in a system.

Although not entirely necessary, having 4 speakers that can double up as different room entertainment, along with Alexa capability, for some homes would be a boon, until one of the participants poopoos the movie night and you don't have all the speakers in the main room. Always a flaw in these ideas :)

But it surely can't be long before Amazon work out how to beam 5.1 to a set of Echo plusses. They have introduced the sub and don't necessarily have to do more than DD5.1 as their TV and Movie collection has that format for the majority of shows that use it. At a price that many would find affordable and desirable.

They could quite easily sell that idea, and they are known for bundle deals to entice.

Anyway back to the Yamahas, I love that they can deal with full Hi Res, would make an amazing surround system if they allowed these to be satellites at the front and rear, I am sure that homes want as few wires as they can these days. Throw in all the other things that these units can do and you have a system that can do what a family wants whether indoors or out. With a strong enough signal you could conceivably have a 5.1 experience in the garden. And even at the price for the W20's still in a price range that is not out of reach, so to speak.

These sort of products show what can be done and provide a quality playback level that makes having Hi Res worthwhile. I only hope that the industries can bring the hardware and the content together.

I look forward to more reviews of these sort of products as they are starting to make me rethink the nature of a surround set up with multiple use cases and features and most importantly wireless.

Thanks again for the review, really got me thinking.

4. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +59
      Interesting - did you get to play with the wireless subwoofer? Or set the speakers up as part of a 5.1 surround sound system?
      I would be interested in your views on this.

5. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +59
      I will add that I found this comment both funny and spot on...

"They are additionally Alexa compatible so, with the right supporting hardware, you can shout at them and have every aspect of your life recorded for marketing purposes."

6. RMP888

RMP888

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      Good review and agree that the sound is better with base booster off, which seems to be turned on by default. I am going on holiday shortly for a couple weeks and bought a pair that I could take with me; with a combined weight of 4.4kg they are not that heavy. They have two the round two pin type of power plugs, which works in many countries, which is a traveling plus.

I plan to use them as “rear” speakers later, but fear that unless i buy some stands for them, that family members will borrow them and I will always be looking for them.

7. RMP888

RMP888

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      Bought some stands from Vebos. I have yet to figure out how to effectively pair them as rear speakers with my RX-A3080, I am doing something wrong and they duplicate and exiting pair of wire speakers, so a bit more experimentation needed.

Anyway a pair of these are surprisingly effective.

20181223_105711.jpg

8. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +59
      The stands look pretty good - do you have a link?

9. RMP888

RMP888

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33