Yamaha MusicCast – one year on

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Yamaha Audio, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yamaha Audio

Yamaha Audio
    Standard Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It’s been just over a year since Yamaha announced the new range of MusicCast products, we’ve advanced our technology, we’ve released a range of new products, we’ve noticed our hair is getting thinner and we’re already looking ahead to the future of MusicCast. For some brands, their multi-room system is just an arm of what they do, sitting within a small ecosystem of its own. But this isn’t the case with MusicCast, it’s quickly becoming part of every Yamaha product we make and the future is bright for not just multi-room music but multi-room audio distribution and streaming.

AVForums_headerimage.jpg

So what on earth is MusicCast? For those not in the know, it’s our wireless music streaming system, our answer to multi-room. You might be forgiven for thinking it’s just another multi-room system with a few speakers and a couple of soundbars on offer; but you’d be very much mistaken as MusicCast can do so much more.

Every product we make with MusicCast is equipped with Bluetooth, Airplay and WiFi on board as standard. That’s every AV Receiver, every wireless speaker, every soundbar… everything. What’s more is the product range that’s part of MusicCast is growing, there’s over 30 different MusicCast products currently available from us, with close to 45 including anything we discontinued from last year. That’s an awful lot of product to choose from but the massive benefit is that you can choose the right product to suit your lifestyle. If you want a bedroom speaker, we’ve got that. A micro system with CD? Got that too. A full blown home theatre system with Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, HDR and multi-room… all in one box? We’ve got a few you can choose from.

It doesn’t end there though, the MusicCast system allows you to stream any audio from one device to another just by linking the two together in the app. So that’s all your TV audio coming from a soundbar can be linked with your kitchen speaker, or the CD playback from your HiFi can be sent to your soundbase in the other room. What’s more is you can do all of this with your already existing Bluetooth equipment, if you’ve got a Bluetooth speaker or some headphones you can stream everything the MusicCast device is playing over Bluetooth. In exactly the same way, enjoy your TV sound wirelessly through headphones or your CD’s in the garden with a wireless speaker – it’s up to you.

Of course we can do everything else you’d expect like different music in different rooms, link them together, separate etc… but there’s customisation too. You can set pictures of your home as the tiles in the app, or customise input names and room names, re-order everything or even switch off inputs you don’t use. The app is slick and easy to use and feedback we get from customers is that they’re very happy with it. Naturally over the past year we’ve made a whole bunch of advances in the app and with firmware updates include multiple room volume control from one screen, mute all, power off all rooms, app shortcuts within MusicCast, the new queue function, Qobuz support and even adding stereo pairing to our wireless speakers.

AVForums_newproductimage.jpg

While that all sounds like a great system, what’s new for 2016? In July, we were pleased to announce the addition of a whole bunch of new product, including new AVR, new wireless speakers, new soundbar, new micro systems and even a self-playing piano that’s part of MusicCast. We’re expanding MusicCast outside of the traditional audio world into a world we have known for 130 years – into musical instruments. Using the Yamaha Disklavier ENSPIRE piano system we can stream the real piano sound all over your house or stream backing tracks for you to playing along to, a combination of both… anything you like. And it all operates within the MusicCast app like another zone, using the interface you already know and love.

There are so many new products to talk about for 2016, but we’ll focus in on a couple of key lines:

There’s new AV Receivers across the range, some of which are heading towards AV Forums reviewers soon! The RX-V581 and above now support Dolby Atmos & DTS:X so you can get into the Atmos action at a much lower price point than before. At the other end of the range, the RX-A3060 can apply CinemaDSP HD3 processing on top of Atmos. This makes the sound field absolutely massive and truly brings cinema sound, to your home. We realise that there’s a number of people out there who want their sound to be ‘pure’ so you can use our pure direct function inside all of our AVRs to simply cut out any processing to hear things in true form. Or you can use the CinemaDSP to make spaceships zoom around above your head in what seems like a bigger space than you actually have, or make the dinosaur crashing through the fence seem more real than ever before! You can do both with a Yamaha and we’re proud to offer our customers that kind of choice.

AVForums_wxc-wxaimage.jpg

Two new additions to the product line-up this year are the WXA-50 wireless streaming amplifier and the WXC-50 wireless streaming pre-amplifier.

The WXA-50 is a 90W digital amplifier that allows you to simply pair it with any speakers of your choice (we’ve had it running with Yamaha SOAVO and B&W 802 diamonds with no issues) and simply add MusicCast to any room. It’s great as a HiFi listen with the pure direct function but also there’s DSP processing built in to get a bigger sound from smaller speakers like bookshelf or in-ceiling. Small, compact and rack-mountable – you can install this professionally or simply place it somewhere tucked away.

The WXC-50 is a pre-amplifier which is in the same sized case as the WX-A50 but drops the amplifier section. Instead you get a bunch more connections including digital outputs. Where the WX-C50 comes in handy is getting the great features of MusicCast into a system you already love. If you’ve got an older AV Receiver or HiFi and want to upgrade to get some network capabilities… here’s a great option. You can also use the WXC-50 to get sources into the MusicCast network. Don’t forget that anything from a MusicCast product can be streamed everywhere…. So anything plugged into the WXC-50 can be streamed to anything Bluetooth or anything that’s MusicCast. What about a turntable or a sky box? You could plug these directly into the WXC-50 and enjoy the audio everywhere in the house just by linking the products together.

So, it’s clear that MusicCast has grown massively over the past year and we’ve advanced beyond ‘just another’ multi-room system in a very short space of time. This is part of our brand and it won’t be long before we include MusicCast on everything we make.

We’d love to hear from you, the AVForums community, so talk to us! We want to hear about your MusicCast experiences, any questions you might have or even some feedback on the system to help us make it better.

We should also mention that should be inclined to purchase MusicCast products between now and 15th January 2017 and register your product with us; you’ll be entered into a competition to win two VIP tickets to the Motorcycle Grand Prix in Jerez, Spain! Hospitality and VIP passes to the race await… simply purchase a MusicCast product or register a product you’ve purchased since January 2016. Full details available here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2016
  2. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Good read thanks -
    Can you enlighten us re: the latest version of the App?
    2.10 notes 'Stability improvement'.
    Can you expand on this at all? And will we see 'Audio Synch on the RN602, CDNT670 and NXN500? It would be great if it was possible to steam CD's without any delay through out the house...

3. Yamaha Audio

Yamaha Audio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    'Stability improvement' is simply shorthand for 'we've improved the stability of our products and apps across a wide range of devices in a wide range of situations'. There are so many combinations of phones, tablets, MusicCast products, routers, placements and network configurations... that it becomes clear an improvement can be made and therefore we roll the update out! Nothing particularly special with what we've done, just made the system faster and better for a wider range of customers.

Audio Sync on these products never say never, it's not an immediate plan to roll this out but we've had this feedback before and will let our lead developers know.

4. garylythgoe

garylythgoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I emailed support recently querying the integration with Spotify, more specifically the relationship with the musiccast app.

When you open the MusicCast app and click the zone you want e.g. Bedroom, and load Spotify as the source, it takes you to Spotify. You play a track and then it plays from the phone speaker, meaning you have to select Bedroom from devices in Spotify.

To me, it made me question what the function/point of the app was, if I still had to select the zone in Spotify.

5. Yamaha Audio

Yamaha Audio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Gary! We've actually spoken over Twitter and our colleagues in Tech Support let us know about your query as well.

Basically the MusicCast app is there for full functionality of your products, if you just want to use Spotify then skip the MusicCast app entirely and go straight to Spotify - choosing your device from the bottom of the play screen.
    The reason this is in place is down to Spotify Connect which is Spotify's technology, not something we or any other manufacturer control. Simply put, it's a really easy way to listen to Spotify in different rooms easily from an interface you're already using daily anyway as a Spotify user.

Where the MusicCast app comes in is where you may want to do something different like use the server playback functions, adjust EQs or sound parameters, use Bluetooth transmission, link rooms together, select different inputs etc... there's an awful lot you can do with MusicCast but if you just want to use Spotify. Go right ahead, use the Spotify app without even loading up the MusicCast app.
    Hope that makes sense.

What you were originally describing sounds like some feedback we've had before which is on our wishlist but it might be difficult due to Spotify's API.... We'd like to have the functionality where you'd choose Spotify in your MusicCast bedroom and the Spotify app would then automatically choose the zone you came from, bedroom in this case. However, it's not entirely possible with the current incarnation of Spotify connect; but never say never!

6. Isaac12

Isaac12
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I managed to set up my Music Cast, i have the app etc all works well.
    My question is: Whats the best way to play music from my laptop to the receiver over a wireless connection and control it all via the app on my phone?
    cheers

7. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    DLNA.
    Install a DLNA server on your PC, point it at the directory that holds your music.
    Once you've got that sorted you can access the music via the MusicCast app (using the Server input).

8. Isaac12

Isaac12
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks. I set up DLNA by enabling media streaming on windows7..Do you mind explaining to me how to point it at the directory that holds my music? On windows 7 i cant seem to find any option for that? cheers

9. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Media Streaming and DLNA are different.
    Download a DLNA client (your choice - there's loads on the interweb... some are free, others are subscription based... but better) and go from there.

10. chirorehab

chirorehab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is my setup... Yamaha RX-V581 with wired speakers 5.1 zone A and 2 outdoor wired speakers for Zone B. I have my mini iPad setup as a controller. App is setup an I can easily access either zone however combo I want! First goal achieved. I can stream iTunes, Google Play music, and SiriusXM via Airplay (or Bluetooth), no problem. Problem arises when I try to add a Bluetooth speaker. It only works for TV sound (which comes through hdmi, so that makes sense). Is there a way to do this? If not, will a MusicCast wireless speaker work or will I run into the same problem? Thanks.

11. Dunners

Dunners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    In a nutshell, you can't re-broadcast a bluetooth stream, or an Airplay stream.
    1: There's not enough Bluetooth bandwidth to receive a Bluetooth signal AND send Bluetooth to another product at the same time.
    2: Apple does not let you re-broadcast an Airplay stream.

If you Bluetooth to your amp and then re-broadcast (link) the Bluetooth to a WX010 or WX030 via the MusicCast app, it will work how you're hoping.
    However, you still won't be able to link Airplay streams as... well, see #2.
    Because - Apple.

12. chirorehab

chirorehab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent! Thanks so much.. I was hoping that would be the case with the WX010(30). Bluetooth works fine for what I'm doing. I was surprised that I was able to Airplay everything (sirius and google play) from my iPad! I'll get it setup and if I have any questions I'll post here! Thanks again! Happy new year!

13. Streamer16

Streamer16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Windows media server is DLNA compliant so no extra software should be needed. I can see the WMS on my Sonos equipment and my Musiccast amp.

14. Yamaha Audio

Yamaha Audio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    As the holiday season is now over this thread will be locked soon, no doubt an AVForums moderator will be along shortly!

We want to thank you all for your comments on MusicCast and superb to see some help being offered via forum members as well!
    We're not going away though, so if you have any enquiries for us you can get in touch via our website:
    Home - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Our Facebook:
    Yamaha Home Audio | Facebook

Or our Twitter:
    Yamaha Home Audio UK (@YamahaUKAV) on Twitter

Have a very happy 2017 and we hope to speak to you all again soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.