Yamaha MDX minidisc Optical output

Slow John

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to rip my minidisc collection to FLAC using a Creative Labs Sound Blaster (SB1240). My old (and amazing, by the way) Yamaha MDX-596 - probably 17-18 years old - has an optical output that takes a Toslink cable and it works fine into the optical input of an amp, which means I assume that it's a digital, not an analog, optical signal being output. But plugged into the Sound Blaster, no signal. What am I missing, hivemind? (The Sound Blaster sees the player if I hook it up through the RCA, but I'm assuming the optical signal will give me a better rip).

It probably should work. Is it possible the input on the creative is defective? ( Itis it definitely going to the input, not the output as they are side by side)

It probably makes sense that it may be better recording digital alright, as the minidisc will be changing it to analogue and then it be re digitalised (is there a word) for flac.

Have you tried a different cable?

It probably should work. Is it possible the input on the creative is defective? ( Itis it definitely going to the input, not the output as they are side by side)

It probably makes sense that it may be better recording digital alright, as the minidisc will be changing it to analogue and then it be re digitalised (is there a word) for flac.

Have you tried a different cable?
Thanks muljao. Definitely going to input, and the cable worked with the amp, so I assume that's fine. But you're right that the SBlaster input could be faulty - I'll try running another device into it and see what happens...

What software are you using with the SBlaster? Has it got the bit depth/sampling frequency set to 16bit/44.1kHz and where’s it getting its clock from? On my Focusrite I need to set the Sync Source to S/PDIF rather than internal when recording from a digital source.

What software are you using with the SBlaster? Has it got the bit depth/sampling frequency set to 16bit/44.1kHz and where’s it getting its clock from? On my Focusrite I need to set the Sync Source to S/PDIF rather than internal when recording from a digital source.
Thanks k-spin - Audacity, set to 16bit / 44.1kHz. I don't understand your question about the clock; I'm not seeing any sync source options in Audacity.
1613316337854.png
1613316337854.png

Thanks muljao. Definitely going to input, and the cable worked with the amp, so I assume that's fine. But you're right that the SBlaster input could be faulty - I'll try running another device into it and see what happens...
Hi muljao - I now have a different cable and a different source (Chromecast audio) but still, nothing. Starting to think that the SBlaster optical pickup might be dud.

Thanks k-spin - Audacity, set to 16bit / 44.1kHz. I don't understand your question about the clock; I'm not seeing any sync source options in Audacity.
With my set-up, the sync source option is not in the DAW (e.g. Audacity) but in the Focusrite Scarlett Mix Control software, which handles the routing etc for the audio interface.

Not sure how what works with your SB1240 but found this, which might help?

I've also bought a Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB soundcard and experienced the same problem with the 'SPDIF optical in'. Here is my sollution: As You don't have input-selector switch on the device, you have to switch to the 'optical in' input trough software way. You have to install Sound Blaster "Entertainment Console" tool (CD provided). In the 'Mixer' menu you will be able to switch on the 'optical in' input (because the default factory setting for the 'optical in' is unfortunately: 'off') When you enable it you will be able to use any optical device on the sound card's SPDIF input. I hope I could help :)

With my set-up, the sync source option is not in the DAW (e.g. Audacity) but in the Focusrite Scarlett Mix Control software, which handles the routing etc for the audio interface.

Not sure how what works with your SB1240 but found this, which might help?
K-spin, THANK YOU. I'm simultaneously grateful to you for spotting that advice from another forum which has solved the problem - and embarrassed that I didn't find that myself in all the searching I've done. Anyhow, once I found the CD (I almost never bother with mfr software) and found my plugin DVD drive (to load the CD) I got the software and it worked!!

Amazed that Creative would hide something so fundamental deep in an app... no mention of it in the user guide... and there are 3 other apps on the CD as well.

Great you got it sorted

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom