Yamaha/Marantz system very quiet on all but one channel (pictures included)

sidewalkdances

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just put together a system pictured below, with a Marantz CD deck (CD-67mkIISE), a Yamaha amp and graphic equalizer (AX-500 and EQ 500 respectively). Speakers are Wharfedale E60's

The amplifier itself has a CD direct button, which when pressed and the CD player is running, gives proper performance (i.e. audible sound!), however if I am running the seperate DAB tuner (connected via phono into 'Tuner') or my iPod (connected via stereo 'Y' cable) I cant hear a thing unless the amp is turned right the way up and even then it is barely audible.

I have included pictures of the set up as is and of the back panel to show how i've connected things up.

IMG_00131.jpg

IMG_00121.jpg

IMG_00111.jpg

Much obliged for any help!

You tried taking the graphic equaliser out just to see if that will eliminate the problem?

I have done, it was running with just the amp and CD player yesterday with the same problem, added the graphic equalizer yesterday to see if it would help.

EDIT: Loudness was tuned down, so turned that up to -0DB, now everything is horrendously distorted and not even loud. iPod has no bass at all and sounds terrible, DAB is still very very quiet.

Having the graphic equaliser in does make it marginally worse, but nothing major

Last edited:
It looks like the ipod is connected to the phono stage. This won't work as a phono stage is expecting a low level input from a record player. Try moving this to another input.

The signal from the the ipod will be far to loud for a phono stage and could possibly dammage the amp. (Assuming it has an internal phono stage)

Just moved the iPod to Video/AUX and it is the same problem as with the DAB tuner now, very very quiet.

How do the other sources fair when connected to the CD input?

You'll probably want the ipod set to about half volume or slightly more to get decent sound.

How do the other sources fair when connected to the CD input?
Works perfectly, as long as CD direct is pressed. Without CD direct, very quiet.

DAB works fine in CD input, with CD direct pressed.
iPod-Ditto.

CD player in Tuner - Works, very quiet, quieter when Tuner pressed. DAB still audible if turned on. Pressing CD Direct cuts out CD player and leaves just DAB in this configuration.

Last edited:
The CD direct button 'removes' the trebble, bass and possibly balance control from the amplification circuit.

This would hint to me that there is possibly a fault on one of these or in the internal wiring.

Try adjusting the settings of these, if you are lucky the amp could be sat at a bad point on one of the pots or something.

Does the CD direct button only work on the CD function? On my amp it is called Source Direct and works on all inputs.

Even with CD Direct on I can still adjust the treble and bass if I turn off the 'Tone Bypass' circuit.

The CD direct only works on CD input, if your playing, say, the DAB tuner, and hit CD Direct, then you lose the sound on that input.

Another strange thing. If I leave the CD player playing, and turn on the iPod, the amp plays both signals. Albeit quiety (have to turn the amp all the way up to be able to hear). If I hit CD Direct, it cuts the iPod and plays the CD player, so you would have AUX selected and then press CD Direct, seemingly cutting the other inputs to just play the CD player.

Last edited:
It looks to me like there is something wrong with your amp.

I'm guessing you've tried all the inputs? One of the tape loops may be good...

That make me think... Is there a tape monitor button, this could possibly cause something like this if it is pressed.

No tape monitor button, all other inputs bar CD have the same problem.

Looks like i'm on the look out for a new amp!

Thanks for all your help, its very much apprieciated.

Hi,
On the back of your amp there are some Accessory Send and Receive connections, try using a cable and linking these connections out - ie L send to L receive and R send to R receive and see if that makes any difference.

Hi,
On the back of your amp there are some Accessory Send and Receive connections, try using a cable and linking these connections out - ie L send to L receive and R send to R receive and see if that makes any difference.
No difference i'm afraid.

Thanks for the tip though. Got a bid on a Denon amp that i'm winning on ebay at the moment, so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom