Yamaha M170 or Onkyo CS-515 ? Thoughts please ...

captainpacific

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm adding a micro stereo system for the bedroom and I have no experience of these things (I'm far more accustomed to full blown hi-fi, etc.) - any thoughts / views would be very welcome please.

Sound quality is number 1, 2 and 3 priority, especially from CD rather than the DAB. I'll probably attach it to some Mission 71i speakers that I have spare and should sound OK for this application.

I'm toying between the Yamaha M170 and the Onkyo CS-515DAB, but with the Yamaha coming in at least £60 cheaper, is the Onkyo worth the extra? Is there anything else of this ilk that is screaming out for shortlisting? Any special deals on these that I should know about?

Yes, I know I could build a separates system that would sound better (and cost more) but the influence of the other half means it has to be a neat micro system. Well, I can't complain given what I've set up in the lounge!!!

Any thoughts?

i'd be interested also on any views im also looking at the teac cr-h250?

I bought the onkyo a couple of weeks ago - and its superb.(and I'm very picky), paired it with quad lites using SA XT bi-wire and quality is excellent.

No issues.

G

If sound quality is your priority then have a listen to Onkyo CR715 .Its £100 more than CR515 but in my opinion it justifies the extra cost ,particularly when heard with a good quality pair of bookshelf speakers .
F.Y.I. the Yamaha and the Teac are both made in the same Chinese factory.

I'm looking at these two as well. The only obvious spec difference I've found is that the Onkyo plays MP3s where as the Yamaha doesn't. I can't find anywhere local that sells the Yamaha to have a look at it so I'm going to go for the Onkyo.

I have the Onkyo 715 with Q-Acoustics 1020 speakers and it sounds amazingly good to my ears. I was going to go for the 515 but am glad went for the 715. Build quality is also top notch, and the integration with the Onkyo Ipod dock is well thought out.
creative audio have some good deals....that's where I got mine from.

I also have the Onkyo CR-715DAB partnered with Castle Richmond 3i having sold a £2000 Primare/B&W setup. It isn't comparable to my old system but it is pretty good.

I also have the Onkyo CR-715DAB partnered with Castle Richmond 3i having sold a £2000 Primare/B&W setup. It isn't comparable to my old system but it is pretty good.

I'd be very impressed if it did sound as good! But I guess it 's a bit more compact and "wife-friendly"? ;)

Hi - I'm also choosing between the two -

I'll be using the packaged speakers for the next little while due to budget constraints - should that affect my decision?

I'm leaning towards the Onkyo as the MP3 capability seems like the only differentiator...

thanks,
Y

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom