1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha looses quality at lower volume

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MS-Yam, Dec 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Yamaha 640SE for about a year, which sounds excellent at high volume levels. However, unfortunately I still live with my parents so I dont get to crank it up anywhere near the volume i'd like! Not very often anyway.

The Yamaha delivers excellent sound quality through my Mordaunt-Short Avants when I have it loud, whether it's with movies or music. But when I use it at fairly low volume, it looses the quality.

I am therefore thinking of upgrading it. Obviously, I need an amp which sounds excellent throughout the volume range. I am interested in the Marantz SR7500, which will be available shortly.

Can anybody recommend any suitable amps up to about £600. The only other worry I have is that my room is quite small - only about 4m square. Will a more powerful amp be too much for the room?

My speakers are MS Avant 906 fronts, 905 centre, and 902 rears.

Any help would be great!

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    You could always look to getting a Yamah 1500 or 2500 from Germany and saving yourself a packet. The Marantz should be a little rocketship and would also be a good upgrade.

I would have thought it would have beent he other way arround with it losing the quality as high volumes not low ones. The 1400 is happy at what ever volumes I play it at.:devil:

3. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Isn't there a "midnight listening" mode intended to be used in these situations?

4. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is a night mode, but I feel I would be losing some of the frequency range, and maybe losing some detail in the sound.

I'll give it a go... always worth a try!

5. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dfour, how much can you get the 1500 and 2500 for from Germany? Including shipping, taxes, duties, and all that wot not? Also, can you recommend any companies?

Also, do you think such a beast would work fine in a small room? (4x4m)

Thanks

6. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi MS-Yam, does the 640 have the same faff with the standalone "Level" setting? I found my 750 better at lower volume when I put the fronts up to +3dB in stereo. And it's not just because the overall volume is higher again, I did check by lowering the main volume!

I found it adds a bit more depth to the 906s, sounds a bit weightier at low volumes.

Other than that, Night mode is pretty good - the 750 has Night:Cinema and Night:Music, you can play about with how strong the effect is and change its settings too.

7. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Bob, i'll give that a go tonight.

Ideally my amp would be equally as good at all volume levels, without having to change the settings every time I want to change from a CD to a movie and vice versa. Cant have everything I suppose.

Then again, maybe I will be happy with keeping the fronts at +3 for movies too, i'll have a mess around tonight.

Thanks

8. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I should have been clearer, I leave it on those settings all the time - but am still playing around.

I found this level was different in stereo and multi-channel modes so you can have the fronts louder in stereo than when you're playing movies. I'm still not sure how this level relates to the one that plays white noise in the "Manual" menu - it's not bugged me enough to investigate yet!

p.s. Bear in mind its calibrated with a Mark I earhole at the moment so the actual dB figures will probably be different on an SPL calibrated amp. Still gotta get me one of those :)

9. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think this is a trait common to most AV amps, not only Yamaha. I further would advise against using the "Midnight Mode" / Dynamic Range compression with stereo sources as it is intended for surround sound only (may actually only work in those modes).

Alternatively to what has been suggested already try using a dedicated power amp.

11. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, can you recommend any particular power amps for my setup?

12. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's why it's got range control settings configured for music also! You can change many of the DSP parameters also to adjust the effect as you want it.